Where to upload bass covers?

There have been a few Beatles covers done by B2B members, and I posted my cover of “Crazy Little Think Called Love” without any interference. As far as I know @JerryP 's Beatles covers are still intact.

1 Like

Every cover I posted on Vimeo is still there. The only thing is, I am running out of free space (500GB) and my have to remove some old covers to make room.

I’m thinking of upgrading to the first level of paid membership. It’s not that much, and then I won’t have to worry about it.

1 Like

My personal opinion is that the DMCA is simply a terrible law. Sadly nearly all politicians in the US (regardless of party) loved it. It passed the senate unanimously and the house overwhelmingly, and wasn’t vetoed.

I guess we know where the cheddar came from at the time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@kerushlow it is two sides, indeed.
For me, if someone covered an original of mine, that’s indeed an honor, but if that person would make money out of it and I wouldn’t, that would bug me at the same time.

2 Likes

my cover of Helter Skelter is still here. the one that has been blocked in 10 seconds is my cover of AC/DC’s Shot Down In Flames , but actually it’s what motivated me to create a website for my covers.

3 Likes

I bet it’s because you used the live backing track. Might have fooled ContentID.

I’ve been really lucky with my covers; all the ContentID claims are the smart kind (that monetizes the video for the copyright holder).

3 Likes

You’re not missing anything.

4 Likes

This is hilarious: Metallica bitten by their own DMCA hardassitude, in the most hilarious way possible.

hahahaha:

5 Likes

You don’t like the Eagles?

2 Likes

No, never really liked that style of music - AOR soft rock in general. Just not my thing.

4 Likes

I like that idea of my cover generating money for the copyright holder (hopefully the artist more so than the label). I have no interest in being enriched by my covers, I only do them for practice, enjoyment, and to showcase my talent (or lack thereof).

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a nice system, and makes sense for everyone. So of course some of the labels refuse to do it :confused:

3 Likes

A few years ago I made a king size, cherry wood bed frame in my wood shop. I designed it in such a way that it could easily be put together or disassembled with no tools required. To demonstrate this, I shot a video of Sara taking it apart in the wood shop, and then reassembling it in our bedroom. I overlaid the song “Sweet Dreams” by the Eurythmics for effect. I had purchased the song from Amazon and put a credit to the Eurythmics at the beginning. I uploaded it to my YouTube channel with the intention of showing it to my friends (not selling anything), and within the hour YouTube had taken it down.
I haven’t been able to listen to that song since without getting sick to my stomach.

2 Likes

I mean, the cover I put on here should qualify as ‘fair use’, because it’s for non-commercial, teaching and critiquing purposes. I have no interest in profiting off my shitty bass playing :rofl:

I remember the infamous RIAA commercial by Lars. Came off badly on it imo.

Listen, the pro guys deserve to get paid for what they make. I’m the son of a pro musician, so I get it. No different from a painter.

But even amatuer painters make omages to Van Gogh, etc. They don’t have the paint police patrolling around with paint thinner.

2 Likes

I have zero objections to artists and respective copyright owners getting payed, by all means that’s the fair thing to do, just don’t block the videos.

4 Likes

Absolutely! When people like us do cover videos of artists’ music, it’s a tribute to them and a sort of promotion for their music. I seriously doubt that anyone decides not to purchase a song or album because they’d prefer to just watch my cover video. That DCMA law is nothing short of draconian.

2 Likes

(warning: profanity in the clip)

I don’t necessarily agree with the Dude but this is what I immediately thought of when the question of disliking the Eagles came up.

8 Likes

The Dude abides!

4 Likes

I love the Big Lebowski, and have watched it dozens of times. I love the Eagles, but I know there are those who don’t. There are lots of bands and musicians that I don’t like either. We’re all wired differently.
(and yes, there are some who think The Big Lebowski is rubbish)

4 Likes