Which is the best seller. P-bass or J-bass?

Ah finally, Nutella!
Although by it condiment, but another of man’s greatest inventions.

Last time I was in Italy the folks at the company I was at were having a heated debate and tasting over Italian Vs German Nutella (there’s one German guy who works there, who, was sad at the outcome of the test).

2 Likes

Why is it awesome? Well, because it’s about 50% sugar. It’s like eating spoonfuls of cake frosting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t even know there was a difference. Nutella is originally an Italian product… Why would the Germans make a different version? Let me wager a guess… to make it a bit more “healthy”?? But how? And why? :joy:

1 Like

Apparently it was a bit of a “glass Vs plastic” and the glass version is a German thing?

And that influences the taste?? :thinking:

Somehow P-bass morphed into PB, so here’s a home for TalkingNut.

2 Likes

Could we please stay on topic. Otherwise a forum likes this gets completely messed up if the content of the threads don’t even remotely match the title.

Here’s a question: Which is the best seller - P-bass or J-bass?

1 Like

My guess is a J, for the reason once you have a P, you’re set

1 Like

I would guess a J, too, but because it has two pickups. New players might come to conclusion that two are more than one, ergo, better.

But who really knows, other than maybe Fender? That said, with so many other makers out there, it would be hard to know without a comprehensive survey.

1 Like

You basically ask a question which is nearly impossible to answer…

In the face of such a question, people will likely a) ignore it, b) hazard a guess, c) say what they hope the answer should be, or d) escape the impossibility by talking about something entirely different.

But, OK, I’ll play: it has to be the J - even if we assume every professional bass player owns both a P and a J (and most amateurs, too), those who want to have a 5-string bass on top of that, will very likely have another J bass; hence, there are more Js than Ps

3 Likes

I agree with all of that, especially with the futility of the question. :joy:

1 Like

But… totally different question: of the J-bass and the P-bass, which is the worst seller?

Not so concerned about the best seller, my real interest is in the worst seller.

Huge difference.

I’ve read a couple places where Fender says it’s P followed by J, but that doesn’t skew all the other brands (if that makes a difference).

3 Likes

By process of elimination, I’d expect the worse seller of the two would be the one that is not the best seller. :thinking:

1 Like

…that was supposed to be a funny post. Evidently it failed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking down at my sample size of two basses, clearly P-pickups dominate, with P/J and P-basses in a dead heat for world control. According to my totally scientific study, J basses don’t exist. And I swear I remember double-humbucker basses being a thing, but apparently that was in a different timeline.

3 Likes

I also lived in that reality… so, these would count as J’s, no???

2 Likes

no :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly, why not? Who or what decides what constitutes a J? Isn’t it the general arrangement of the pickups? Does it have to be single coils?? Is an active “J” not a J either?

I am honestly confused and not trying to wind you up… I guess I’d need a better definition of what exactly defines a J :smile:

3 Likes