Which one is better

I have the option to buy a Yamaha bb614 or a Rockbass Corvette 4. I really like the look of the Yamaha, but I think the RB sounds a bit more interesting.

4 Likes

I’m biased toward the Yamaha BB line as I have owned 2 of them (BB235 and BB735). With that said, I must urge you to choose the Yammie :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

A great number of years ago I had a Yamaha RBX170. It was a good, solid, entry-level bass, and it garnered a respect in me for Yamaha basses. I’ve never owned a Warwick and they make some good looking instruments. So, for my part, I’d go with the RB. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What music do you play? I would buy the ww if you are a ryan martinie or stuart zender fan. otherwise the yamaha is very versatile.

4 Likes

Play both, see which feels better. Which sounds more like you.

5 Likes

The Corvette $$ is one of the more appealing Rockbass offerings.
It uses quality woods, the MEC humbuckers sound great, and the hardware is the same as the more expensive German Teambuilt Warwicks. The weakpoint is the Rockbass preamp which is decent but not exceptional.

I’m not familiar with that model of Yamaha so I can’t offer an opinion as to which might be better.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll thing about it)

3 Likes

The Corvette $$ is a really good bass, but I’m talking about a Corvette 4 with two singles. Like this:

4 Likes

I play Jazz, Funk, R&B, Indie rock and sometimes disco

2 Likes

I had to look both of them up. The Yamaha BB614 has P/J pickups, the Warwick Rockbass Corvette seems to have single coil J/J pickups. Based on that, they will probably sound very different, so the question isn’t which one is best, but which one sounds best to you.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to listen both. It’s just that the question is rather whether it is rational to change the Corvette 4 to BB614. Are they in the same price range?

2 Likes

I don’t think one is better than the other. They are both great basses. Can’t go wrong with either of them imo.

Personally I would go for the one that appeals the most to you and ofc playing before buying is always best. Good luck!

2 Likes

IMHO, my initial response aside, this is always the correct answer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK. Well those are MEC active single coils so they’re very quiet (in terms of background noise) in comparison to traditional passive J pickups. They’re the same pickups as used in the more expensive German built warwicks. My comments re: the hardware and pre-amp still apply.

3 Likes

Both

3 Likes

If you can play both of them, one should speak to you when it’s in your hands. Personally, I run a halfway house for neglected (demo) instruments and love them all very much

5 Likes

and a P Bass, obviously.

7 Likes

This is definitely a great bass, the spacing on the neck and bridge is similar to the fender 75’ so the bridge pickup would sing with extra sparkles.

2 Likes

The $$ has two humbuckers. Hence the double buck in it’s name.

2 Likes

That pickguard is amazing! Giving me those VHS vibes.

1 Like