Who would you choose?

Fantastic, @booker_t!

Duckā€™s lines are the essence of bass playing. He is revered by later-generation bass heroes, regardless of the genres theyā€™re now famous for.

His signature work starts by laying down the groove. Then he builds on it, enhancing it over the course of the tune with timely fills and embellishments that drive the band forward.

Bottom line: his body of work is a very cool technical workout for your hands and your head.

4 Likes

That is a SERIOUS endorsement.

Clearly I need to begin studying how to quack like a Duck!

2 Likes

At this point in my bass playing career, Iā€™m going to say Geddy Lee. First of all, I love Rush. I discovered them in high school and just went bonkers for their musical talent and dedication. Second, Geddyā€™s bass playing is always on point in their songs and he used a 4-string bass in I think most of their songs, if not all? Since Iā€™m learning and focusing on 4-strings for the foreseeable future, Geddy is my pick.

3 Likes

Easy one for me.

Nathan East.

Why? Heā€™s the hardest working bassist in the industry, an absolute gentleman and professional. Great musical taste, mad a$$ bass Kung Fu to match.

More reason?

7 Likes

Sounds great, as usual. Love your playing, @Al1885.

4 Likes

:rofl:
@gabe see also:

3 Likes

There is also this (very old) thread here:

So, yeah, a new ā€œpoll/surveyā€ is certainly in order :smile:

Thereā€™s tons of bass players I find inspiring and whose tone or playing style I try to emulate or at least gravitate towards, but iā€™ll probably always have (the rather unknown) Frans Vollink as my ā€œidolā€ - I admire his ability to combine groove and melodicism, and it certainly helps that I have met him a couple of times now and that he is a really nice chap :smile:

3 Likes

John Paul Jones (zep, of course), for the versatile legend that he is.

Or perhaps John Isles (Dire Straits) for his sheer rythm-keeping.

Or for fun approach to his playing, Norman Watt-Roy (Blockheads)

2 Likes

James Jamerson

Deon Estus (who learned from James Jamerson)

Carol Kaye

4 Likes

JPJ is a bigger influence on my than I realized!

Always loved his ability to either sit back in the pocket and support the band or jump to the forefront and carry them.

2 Likes

John Myung from Dream Theater

2 Likes

That band is full of top tier talent. Rudess, Myung, Petrucci, Portnoyā€¦

3 Likes

Absolutely! One of my favorite bands tbh

4 Likes

Sometimes I feel like thereā€™s so much going on that I stop enjoying the song and spend my time trying to figure how they all do what they do lol

3 Likes

Bro you ainā€™t kidding haha

2 Likes

I havenā€™t quite developed my bass ear yet but Justin Chancellor, heā€™s got some great riffs. Honorary mention to Ryan Martinie, heā€™s just ridiculous.

1 Like

Itā€™s no surprise for the name like @TheMadBassist to name John Myung, lol. Heā€™s such a bad ass.

4 Likes

Haha :joy: too funny. JM is a true master on the bass. After watching him play Iā€™m torn between trying to better myself or give up lol

4 Likes

Is it only available on Kindle?

1 Like

I am surprised no one put Sir Paul-I think a study in how his playing changed over time would be great value.
Definitely Duck Dunn and Carol Kaye on the list.

2 Likes