Why did I think I could walk into a music store and not spend any money?

Blind to the viewer. so I was not able to see it was a hoffner, but I picked it #1 or #2 in all the categories, just cuz of the sound.

3 Likes

Did you know ahead of time one of them was a Hofner?

2 Likes

Now Iā€™m intrigued - Iā€™m gonna have to look this upā€¦

3 Likes

I was really surprised with that one. One bass I expected to be excellent was second worst IMO.

Here it is:

7 Likes

Umm. Ok. This comment got hidden pretty quickly, but nobody said anything. Anyway, youā€™re either 1: in the wrong place, or 2: donā€™t know what itā€™s like here. If you are number 1, let me inform you that this is bass guitar forum where we talk about songs, basses, and lots of other things. If you are number 2, let me inform you- the environment here is very intimate, we all know each other well and treat each other respectfully. I learned that from my own experience. Please be respectful and kind :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that @howard. That is an awesome review!

2 Likes

Yes, the ones I wanted to be best were worst,
The results were almost in the order I hated to I liked the bass looks and idea.
but the ones I really did not want to like were my top picks
I didnā€™t want to like that danelectro either, and it was pretty good too.
I donā€™t like that U bass shape, I like the short one like I just posted a pic of on the other thread.
None of them were really basses that I love.
I wanted the Fender cuz it was Orange, and the Gretch to sound good.
I think the Gretch I had listed at 2 on one of the tests, but I donā€™t think the Fender got out of the 4 or 5 spot.

Of course, this is not her ranking them in that order, we wrote down what number we liked best to worst, for each style, then she said the order she played them in, it was the same order for all of them, and you compare your list.

So of course, your list and my list could be totally different, or it could be similar to the same, it just depends what you mark and what I mark

Yes, we knew what basses were being reviewed, we just could not see her playing them.

4 Likes

I canā€™t go in a music store without money to spend. Impossible!

4 Likes

Stores are beginning to open up and I thought I might check out the local music store today; but I am trying to save money and they only way to do that was not to go; because I would have spent money if I did.

5 Likes

How is your playing on the Hofner going?

4 Likes

Very good, Iā€™m at the final stages of recording a cover with it, which I will probably post in a couple days.

6 Likes

Looking forward to it.

4 Likes

Do you still think it will become your go to bass?
What will happen to your Yammy?
Are you gonna find a luthier and commission a 5 string violin bass like the Horner?

4 Likes