Why I prefer a short scale Bass

Why I prefer a short scale Bass and when I decided to learn Bass, I pick a short scale because I am a guitarist (Fender Stratocaster) since 45 Years and I find the scale similar to my guitar, same size and same confort, see picture. I pick a Squier mini precision Bass and I update the pickup for a Wilkinson P Bass Alnico 5 Wilkinson M Series WOPB after trying a Fender Original and a Fender 62/63, because they sound identical and the cost is lower, around $40CAD, probably $30 US.
After trying different brand of strings, my conclusion was , for me the best sounding strings was D’addario EXL 170 S,
And now I am happy, really happy.
And yes I tried a long scale Bass, I had a Aria P J Bass for years and I never really like the feeling
of a long scale, spacing of the frets and the weight.
I find the Bass tone real with those kind of strings and now I play my new toy all the time and I enjoy it!
I always like Squier product, for the quality and the price, most of the time you just need to change the Pickups for having a decent sound for a low price instrument.
You can tell me what you have and why!
Mike

P.s I just notice my saddles on the Bass, I already adjust it since I took the picture, sorry.

12 Likes

I love short scale I also love 35” xtra long scale. Sometimes you just want to feel a little flop on the strings short scale is great for that. It also sound extra deep as well.

Extra long scale is also fun tight sounding B string is so rewarding though your body needs a few minutes to recalibrate from standard to extra long but going back is no problem.

I’ve commissioned a short scale multi scale Neckthrough. It should be done soon.

3 Likes

Those mini-P are kinda cool. Even if a P has to be a 34" scale to be a P, but yeah … still a nice little bass :slight_smile: and yes, the current Squier range is really cool.

I have only one short scale bass but I like it a lot. It does not sound like a long scale, but that’s something I like : it’s something different and it’s cool for what it is.

Also I come from guitar too, but with some habit it’s really not a problem to switch from one to another scale length. A guitar, a short scale bass and a long scale bass, all feel very familiar with some habit.

3 Likes

Yeah. It might take some practice but it’s not bad. I’m switching off between long scale bass and Les Paul scale guitar now.

Strat scale is slightly easier for me but not really, except maybe for the really high frets, where it is much easier. Thanks for that, Gibson :rofl:

3 Likes

To be fair, the Gibson and Fender scale length are not that much different. But obviously I much prefer the Fender scale length :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah it’s also more of me generally getting used to guitar for that half inch to matter.

2 Likes

Going from standard to short or even extra long to short scale make no difference in fact you benefit from the extra agility but going from short/ standard to extra long it requires extra accommodations.

2 Likes

The difference is exactly 3/4" (Fender : 25.5" , Gibson : 24.75"). Still not that much, even if it feels a little bit different. To me, it’s more about string tension than scale length really.

But there are real short scale guitars ! like the Fender Mustang (24" or 22.5"). Not what I prefer but it’s not a problem for me to play on those guitars.

1 Like

Yeah! Adorable. but not for me. Saw these cute Juniors when I bought my Revstar:

2 Likes

You’re in good company @Neteel. Lots of folks around here love their short scale basses.

Check out this thread…

2 Likes

Forgot to add the link. Now I’m somewhere in South Carolina. I’ll add the link tomorrow. If you can’t wait, just do a search for short scale bass and you’ll find a bunch of threads.

2 Likes

I assume you meant this one @eric.kiser ?

2 Likes

Can I please hijack briefly to ask a question? I have a Squier Affinity Series P bass, and I’ve followed some advice I’ve seen on how to measure it to determine scale length-- there’s no information in the leaflet that came with the bass nor can I find a simple answer on google on this bass. Assuming I’ve measured correctly, it has a scale length of 34 inches thereby placing it in the long scale category. However two people at music stores have told me this bass isn’t considered long scale. I’ve measured a couple different ways to be sure.

I saw a Gibson Thunderbird being played right up close and it looked huge, but is apparently 34 inches too.

I was planning on going to a bass store on my one year bassiversary and trying out some long scales but I guess I already have one? Which is fine, as I’m very fond of it.

1 Like

This is the PJ config? It’s 34" scale from what I see on SamAsh and Thomann. Measure from nut to center on 12th fret and double. And yes, 34" is long scale…

The T-bird can look huge from the elongated body, which isn’t part of the “scale”, so that may have affected your perception…

3 Likes

yeah, it’s very easy to measure. from the nut to the saddles, on the thinest string, it’s the scale lenght. a P is normally a 34" bass = long scale.

3 Likes

Thanks @skydvr and @terb This is the bass I have (same kit):

I don’t know anything yet about all the bass technical stuff, but it is a future goal to be able to do maintenance etc myself, maybe a project bass or two and get really bass-geeky about pickups and such.

The Thunderbird was being played by a tall bassist right in front of me, up high on a stage so that might have skewed my perception a bit!

Edit: this is the bassist and the exact angle I was observing from (not my photo).

4 Likes

Here’s (I believe) the same bass on SamAsh:
https://www.samash.com/squier-affinity-p-bass-pj-mn-bpg-f78553505

If you click the “tech specs” tab, and look at “scale length”, it’s listed as 34". Just FYI!

And there are lots of youtube vids about doing basic maintenance. There’s a thread on here for reference:

It’s not as difficult as you may think - don’t be afraid to dig in!

2 Likes

@skydvr thanks!

1 Like

That’s the one. Thank you.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with short scale Royal Blood “Figure It Out” Live on the Stern Show (2015) - YouTube

2 Likes