Why I prefer a short scale Bass

Going from standard to short or even extra long to short scale make no difference in fact you benefit from the extra agility but going from short/ standard to extra long it requires extra accommodations.

2 Likes

The difference is exactly 3/4" (Fender : 25.5" , Gibson : 24.75"). Still not that much, even if it feels a little bit different. To me, it’s more about string tension than scale length really.

But there are real short scale guitars ! like the Fender Mustang (24" or 22.5"). Not what I prefer but it’s not a problem for me to play on those guitars.

1 Like

Yeah! Adorable. but not for me. Saw these cute Juniors when I bought my Revstar:

2 Likes

You’re in good company @Neteel. Lots of folks around here love their short scale basses.

Check out this thread…

2 Likes

Forgot to add the link. Now I’m somewhere in South Carolina. I’ll add the link tomorrow. If you can’t wait, just do a search for short scale bass and you’ll find a bunch of threads.

2 Likes

I assume you meant this one @eric.kiser ?

2 Likes

Can I please hijack briefly to ask a question? I have a Squier Affinity Series P bass, and I’ve followed some advice I’ve seen on how to measure it to determine scale length-- there’s no information in the leaflet that came with the bass nor can I find a simple answer on google on this bass. Assuming I’ve measured correctly, it has a scale length of 34 inches thereby placing it in the long scale category. However two people at music stores have told me this bass isn’t considered long scale. I’ve measured a couple different ways to be sure.

I saw a Gibson Thunderbird being played right up close and it looked huge, but is apparently 34 inches too.

I was planning on going to a bass store on my one year bassiversary and trying out some long scales but I guess I already have one? Which is fine, as I’m very fond of it.

1 Like

This is the PJ config? It’s 34" scale from what I see on SamAsh and Thomann. Measure from nut to center on 12th fret and double. And yes, 34" is long scale…

The T-bird can look huge from the elongated body, which isn’t part of the “scale”, so that may have affected your perception…

3 Likes

yeah, it’s very easy to measure. from the nut to the saddles, on the thinest string, it’s the scale lenght. a P is normally a 34" bass = long scale.

3 Likes

Thanks @skydvr and @terb This is the bass I have (same kit):

I don’t know anything yet about all the bass technical stuff, but it is a future goal to be able to do maintenance etc myself, maybe a project bass or two and get really bass-geeky about pickups and such.

The Thunderbird was being played by a tall bassist right in front of me, up high on a stage so that might have skewed my perception a bit!

Edit: this is the bassist and the exact angle I was observing from (not my photo).

4 Likes

Here’s (I believe) the same bass on SamAsh:
https://www.samash.com/squier-affinity-p-bass-pj-mn-bpg-f78553505

If you click the “tech specs” tab, and look at “scale length”, it’s listed as 34". Just FYI!

And there are lots of youtube vids about doing basic maintenance. There’s a thread on here for reference:

It’s not as difficult as you may think - don’t be afraid to dig in!

2 Likes

@skydvr thanks!

1 Like

That’s the one. Thank you.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with short scale Royal Blood “Figure It Out” Live on the Stern Show (2015) - YouTube

2 Likes

Good one, I agree at 100%.
Bass short scale Lovers.

As a mature beginner on bass I bought myself a full scale bass. After a short while I gave up playing because of the finger stretches and the weight, it just wasn’t enjoyable.
Then I read about the Squier Mini P short scale bass and it sounded Ideal and worth a try. I discovered they are excellent basses.
On mine I have changed the strings to D’addario Chrome Flatwounds which are slightly heavier and a definite improvement. Haven’t changed the pickup, the original sounds okay to me at my level of playing. I did change the saddles to brass whereas many many Mini P owners opt to go for a heavier mass bridge.
I really like my Squier Mini P.
Mike

5 Likes

I have a few Ubasses, acoustic and solid body. Love them but it’s a tad too small. I already scheduled the next bass the size of TinyBoy bass longer than Ubass but still miniaturized. Which shape it’s still up in the air.

1 Like

Nice move, I am glad to read this, and yes the stock pickups is not bad at all, I change mine just because I like the punchiness of a Alnico pickups, even the stock strings was not bad at all, I love the size of the neck, really narrow and confortable.
Mike

2 Likes

I still gravitate to my Ibanez Mikro. It’s my “travel” bass (which is why it goes out of tune). It plays well, it’s light and it’s very portable. The next closest is my Gretsch G2220.

2 Likes

I had Fender Mustang PJ. Was fun lil tiddler with serious finish and sound.
It really had special sound when you attack those strings harder.
However it was messing with my playing when i wasnt actively looking at fretboard.

Sold it, since I was switching back and forth from long scale to short scale and it messed with my brain and playing. I decided I was long scale player exclusively.

3 Likes