Why oh why (Rickenbacker copies)

I have owned a Rick 4002 and I loved it.

Having said that: you have to love it, in a pretty irrational fashion – or it’s a seriously overpriced instrument. Judging by all objectifiable criteria, it’s a pretty average bass. The average Ibanez has at least the same build quality.

4 Likes

@peterhuppertz
Interesting to know :+1:
Thank you

3 Likes

Yeah, I hear ya @quadfather, I do this with appliances Nd TV’s and the like. I always use zero interest pay back offers for the deals hen you sped over $$XXX. You have XX amount of months to pay back with zero interest.

Jus need to make sure it’s paid back on time, or you get a large sum added to your balance.

I think this is a fine way do do things as long as you can pay all your costs of living comfortably, and save some as well.

3 Likes

Hey @Mac,
I may even sell you one of mine when you save some cash up.
Ps: it won’t be the red one.:+1:

3 Likes

@TNKA36
Now that’s something to aim for :+1:

3 Likes

Exactly - I just make sure I can juggle the cash and keep an eye on it.

I do actually have some self control. Well, I must have, otherwise, I would have put a 25k studio on a credit card by now :smiley:

4 Likes

Probably to lose it to debtors or the wife in the divorce. :joy:

2 Likes

Already done the divorce - running on my own steam now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ahhhhh, makes sense now the back to back Fenders. Lol

I did mine too. But my stupid ass did it again. But now doing divorce #2. One reason to buy many Basses, and gear. Hide the money. :+1:t2::+1:t2:
She deserves none. In reality, true story, she owes me a chunk of money, and the IRS. So I will hide what I have, and settle so she can’t get my future earnings, because even tho she owes, and deserves none, she will try to get it. I am jus making the known reality, showing that its better for her to keep the money she stole, and not get anymore, ever.

6 Likes

@T_dub

Yeah, I heard that.

I lost my house, and all the savings that were pumped into it. Great!

Not doing that again.

Still, live and learn - clearly my ex and I were not meant to be. Thank god.

5 Likes

We did that in h first divorce, but it was dissolved, didn’t go to either of us. I did other bad things with the savings. :open_mouth::open_mouth:

2 Likes

I didn’t get savings, I was mentally manipulated out of house and home!

Still, you’ve got to laugh :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just remember the old saying.

Q: Why is divorce so expensive?
A: Because it is worth it.

7 Likes

Good thing we have a few members around who are testament of the opposite…

5 Likes

How so?

My own divorce was expensive but both my ex and I are in a much better place than we were. The financial cost, though high, was nothing compared to the psychological benefits of getting out of a bad situation.

A bad marriage can be one of the most stressful and psychologically damaging experiences in life.

At least for me. You’re right that everyone’s situation is different.

During and immediately after a divorce is rough - it’s impossible to feel good about yourself in that process, I found. But it definitely, absolutely gets better. And in the end, if you have a problematic life situation causing distress to both parties that just money and a court filing can solve, you are very lucky indeed.

8 Likes

I think @peterhuppertz meant there are people here that are happily marred, not needing a divorce. I just don’t fit that catagory x 2

5 Likes

Ahh, thanks. I missed that nuance. I’m a testament to both - happily divorced and happily remarried :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice, I was there once, now I am Happily divorced and happily separated :joy:

3 Likes

@Mac
They are back.
And for anybody wanting a Rickenbacker, and. / or a CIY box, I just saw that Rickenbacker DIY kits are back on Amazon.
looks like a different company for DIY kits (unless I am wrong, don’t pay too much attention to the company or brand name of DIY kits) so they may get attacked with lawsuits or desist orders at some point, so may want to get them while you can.

They do have a finish cut headstock that does not resemble the Rickenbacker headstock enough for copyright infringement, however, so maybe they will last.

Also, they have a SBMM Ray4 bridge, and I am sure pickups nowhere near what’s on a real RICK, although, I am sure you can modify. You CAN buy a HipShot Rickenbacker bridge for about $200, and if. you add a few more bucks in electronics, you might be able to get this looking and sounding more like a real Rickenbacker for between $400 and $600, but even so, for only $200 you can get a great start.
At least it has the triangle inlays, I can’t imaging getting a Rick without those, but thats just me as Rick has made plenty models or options without the triangle headstock.

2 Likes

I used to work with a fantastic Irish guy who had a thousand throwaway lines, all timed perfectly with a gentle Kerry lilt. He once said
“Ah yes marriage. I say cut out the middleman. Find someone you don’t like and give them a house, because that’s what happens in the end”

5 Likes