Why so hard to say good-bye? (Considering going from 8 to 4!)

While the P can be used for many styles and genres, I don’t find it more tonally versatile than a J.

4 Likes

You have different tones on a J but, in my opinion, a very few tones are really useable. So the effective tonal range is not that huge in a J (but still larger than a P obviously). And, as @howard say about the P :

(the J being a more modern design than the P)

3 Likes

I think this depends on the type(s) of music a J is used for. The tonal range is very varied and useful to play many genres.

4 Likes

I’ve identified three broad categories of J tones: Balanced, Scooped/Hollow, and Thin/Quacky/Nasal :rofl

The first one is pretty vanilla whitebread IMO but definitely sounds good. The second one sounds awesome, especially through an Ampeg. Not a huge fan of the third.

The first one you often hear in a lot of rock. Yep, it’s a bass, and it sits well in the mix. But not much else special about the tone.

The second one you hear a lot in metal/post-metal and punk (when J’s are used, though honestly usually that’s gonna be a P). And it’s the J tone from funk and slap.

The third one you usually hear in genres that play up the neck a lot. Jazz, etc.

Personally I prefer the simple, honest punch of the P. If I want versatile I’ll choose an active EQ double-buck instead.

But really none of this matters much because you can alter the tone so much in production anyway.

3 Likes

totally agree. but @MikeC is also right for sure, it depends of the style … of course if the nasal bridge tone is required, a P won’t do that. (even if I can’t really see where this kind of tone would sound good, but that’s personnal)

3 Likes

Not if you overdo it, no. And, yes, it doesn’t sound very good on its own. But, in the mix… awesome - cuts through and lets you really hear the bass (IMHO) :smile:

2 Likes

at least the trebly side of the bass :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

True (or not without a lot of EQ though!)

But this is another case where I personally would go for a bridge humbucker instead and get a richer tone there up at the bridge. But YMMV.

Yeah, lots of nice treble harmonics there, though you can get surprisingly bright P pickups too that more punch through the mix than cut.

But with a single P you won’t get that bridge region twang, yeah.

2 Likes

:joy:

I think we all agree to… have different preferences :smile:

5 Likes

Yep!

A couple of my favorite bands in post-metal (pg.lost and Syberia) use J’s to really surprisingly good effect for such a genre. I can definitely appreciate them.

1 Like

Oh noooooo :scream:

Try and talk to Axel Roks in Breda (you were from NL, Paul, weren’t you!?!) - he might have some ideas for you :wink:

2 Likes

Haha I’m all good right now tyvm :laughing:

Pretty happy with my current collection but I have no clue how I ended up with more guitars instead of basses.

Most of my guitars are used or very good deals. The only one I paid the full price for was my Taylor acoustic travel guitar.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your answers. Its safe to say that it all boils down to personal preference.

To be honest I usually set my J on one setting that I like and fiddle with the tone knob just like my P. My external preamps define my tone the most.

4 Likes

This seems to be a spreading disease in here and we need to be on the watch lest it become an epidemic :open_mouth: :astonished:

3 Likes

Just apropos - and in order to re-enforce all clichés and deepen the divides further :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The Orange Gregor BTW Sandberg would be an excellent BassBuzz Badass theme bass :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely… (even though it’s a jazz bass :wink: :wink:)

1 Like

I’m happy to bow to popular demand there :slight_smile:

Also, Gregor is under 40???!!?!?!?

3 Likes

what ? :astonished:

3 Likes

I know! Like wow, mind blown

2 Likes