Why so hard to say good-bye? (Considering going from 8 to 4!)

I think I keep it (for now) because of all the work and labor I put on this bass to bring it back to life.

4 Likes

Makes sense. :+1:

3 Likes

Now that I know my SBV’s days may be numbered I am considering selling down to just the P-bass while the SBV is still valuable. I also love the idea of just having one bass. I’ve never liked accumulating instruments, I really prefer having one that I use 100%. Especially now that I know how malleable the original bass tone actually is.

My problem with this is I love the SBV too. It’s just a cool unique bass.

4 Likes

It’s a good bit of work, but the fret board could be removed and whatever necessary truss rod work could be done and reassembled. May as well refret while you’re at it. Not inexpensive but for something that already plays well, it could go next level!

4 Likes

Yeah - though the problem is the warp itself. The rod can still straighen it (barely) but it is very tight to turn, even with the thing detuned.

I’m going to unstring it and let it sit cranked with a little backbow for a while and see if that helps.

2 Likes

I can’t see you NOT replacing that one. I think out of the two it’s your favorite.

2 Likes

Yeah I really love it. I wish they still made the necks.

Well, there’s no rush at least. This is a slow thing. We’ll see how it reacts after sitting with a couple months of slight backbow.

2 Likes

Tune it to a different tuning and use it for that maybe. Or make it a BEAD?

1 Like

Can always take it and have it heat set. Might help

2 Likes

Yeah true. The funny thing is it doesn’t even need a fret job because I just leveled them myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, so has anyone contacted you through your ad yet? :smile: :smile:

3 Likes

Nor am I @terb…. Do love my PJ’s though…. There was a time I did consider picking one up awhile back, but ended up with another PJ instead…

3 Likes

Me either. It’s either humbuckers or P pickups for me, and I have come to prefer the more substantial necks too. Really prefer 40-42mm over 38.

3 Likes

YES!! YES!! Why do you think that is @howard?? When I started playing bass I always preferred playing a narrower neck - not so much now…. Seems as if I can work a larger neck much easier than the smaller ones - but then again there are some songs that I still like to play with a smaller neck…. I do know that (for me) having to deal with arthritis in my hands and fingers has something to do with it though…. I guess over time as I continue to age that I may be finding myself using my single string “Gut Bass”??!!??…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah I have no idea why, it’s just how my tastes evolved. Definitely a thing though.

1 Like

I like P pickups as well, and 40-42mm nuts as well. Started on a jazz but I’ve evolved.

Those darned Streams getting me acclimated to a 40mm nut. I’m tempted to put a P pickup in mine. It would look like a Malcolm Young special with an empty pickup slot but if it sounds good it would be worth it.

1 Like

I love my Jazz-y 38mm bass’s neck profile and string spacing. It’s my fave.

My P-ish bass’s 41mm at the nut, but the neck’s thinner than my Jazz-y bass or a Fender, so easy-peasy, too.

Mileage varies on basses across the board.

2 Likes

Good idea, but I’m not sure ; this bass is very “country” so EADG is the logical way to go. By the way I already have a BEAD bass (maybe one of the earliest BEAD-dedicated bass on BassBuzz, if not the first ?) that is absolulty perfect for this tuning, so I don’t need another one.

Actually, despite being a J, The Duke has a very fat 42mm neck. Maybe a real reason to keep it :slight_smile:

at least one you can’t really sell :joy:

3 Likes

I’m down to 2 P, 2 J basses and 1 modern active bass. I love P and J equally, altho I would say that it’s a little bit harder to find a good jazz bass imo, but maybe that’s just my experience. Just said goodbye to my lovely Bacchus too.

I just don’t completely understand why people say the P is more versatile. I actually think you got more ways with a J?

3 Likes

I don’t think either are particularly versatile (compared with, say, an active/passive dual humbucker or something similar).

I do think either will work with nearly any genre, though. So while their tonal range is more narrow than more modern designs, they will fit in nearly anywhere.

P’s are definitely more punchy than J’s, though.

2 Likes