Why so hard to say good-bye? (Considering going from 8 to 4!)

I dont remember you ever posting pictures of this one.

3 Likes

I certainly did, sir, but there are so many new basses each week, it is easy to miss a few :smile:

I posted a bit on it here:

And here:

4 Likes

Yep. That bass is a real looker. :sunglasses::+1:

If you aren’t trying collect and you aren’t going to play them, then I vote, let them go.

4 Likes

@joergkutter try playing the ones you want to sell, tweak them a bit and find out why you fell in love with them…

I just did. Letting go is not gonna happen anytime soon :joy:

In other news I just bought another used acoustic guitar :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

I am about to put my MIM Vintera Dakota Red P up for sale, trying to decide if I sell it as it was stock or upgraded, or offer both. That frees the rack space for the walnut aerodyne. I wont feel bad about getting rid of it, just never gelled with it.

But that was to be the space for the 2 string slide bass being built, so now i have to decide what else goes. That is much harder. I have not come up with an answer yet to this one.

4 Likes

Maybe add 2-3 wall hangers for the basses that you play? Like a podium :trophy:

I recommend the string swing usa walnut. Those look really good on a wall.

2 Likes

My ceilings are too low and all my walls have crap at least half way up them from the floor (shelves, desk, saxes, basses, vinyl, etc). I have a couple hanging in front of shelves (Gretsch and Ubass, but no more room there either.

2 Likes

Indeed, @Paul - but, it has already been a lengthy process of considering, trying to see what I like/liked about them, trying to tweak them (i.e., new, different strings), but I also got some of them when I still had little experience and probably knew much less than now what it is that I like and want, or bought some of them on a bit of a whim, and never really made a strong connection.

They are all good basses (no duds there) and I hate to see them go, but it is time to start parting with a few of them. Now, of course, I have to find someone to wants to buy them from me first :grin:

4 Likes

To me basses are just gear. They come and go. No problem getting rid of anything here cause it generally means something else is replacing it.

5 Likes

On the scale of instrument ownership, with @howard on one end and @Al1885/@John_E on the other, I am closer to Howard in my philosophy about how many basses I own, or want to own.

I’ve never been sentimental about musical instruments. Nor have I sought to own an arsenal for the sake of collecting. I have nothing against collecting, but the practice has never intrigued me. But everyone is a different individual with unique desires.

Similar to what @joergkutter stated, I own some basses that were the ones I bought prior to learning what it is I actually need to achieve my bass playing goals. In my case, I own two short scale basses.

I bought my first shorty when I started B2B. It’s a Sire U5 P/J that is super-easy to play, at a size similar to that of a Strat (actually larger, but noticeably smaller than a 34”). This little guy got me through a lot of lessons, including the dreaded Billie Jean.

My other shorty is a SBMM StingRay. I was actually wanting a Ray 34, but with a Ray 24 narrow nut neck. No dice, so I got the short StingRay instead. I love its trademark MM tone, which is what I bought it for. I also found that its body shape and neck feel were more comfortable for me than the Sire U5.

I have since bought three 34” scale basses, with one being my hands-down, go-to bass, a second one that I like a lot, and a third one that I bought for its tone that I had not previously had in my others.

Bottom line, I will very likely sell two or three of the five basses I currently own, not because I don’t like them, but because I don’t play or need them. All are completely in mint condition and supremely playable. I just don’t need them anymore.

In my musical life, I have sold or given away virtually every instrument I’ve ever bought. To me, they’re tools. Beautiful tools, but tools, nonetheless. YMMV.

6 Likes

Good points, @MikeC - resonates with a lot of my thoughts!

5 Likes

The first two times I went to sell my TRBX I decided not to after playing it. The third time, I realized - this is always going to feel like butter, it’s an amazing bass. But the only time I am playing it is when I consider selling it. That’s when I knew.

I’m also coming to appreciate chonkier necks now a bit more. There’s something… satisfying :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This. It’s when I decide to play the Vintera P. Yup. It’s going.

5 Likes

If it’s not gonna bring in some major coin, why sell it?
Don’t listen to me!

4 Likes
  • space
  • not being played
  • somebody else to enjoy them
  • thought I would like them, but didn’t

:grin:

6 Likes

Entirely valid, @joergkutter.

You own some good instruments, with at least one of them being truly spectacular (cough…Mayones…cough).

3 Likes

I’ve never sold any instrument… I have given quite a few away though - even expensive ones… Granted, they have all gone to my grandkids - mostly my guitars, but one bass went to one of my grandsons who played it in a band he was in before leaving for the Army… Figure if I give everything away now while I’m still alive, then there will be nothing left to fight over, or anything left to be auctioned off for pennies on the dollar… I’ve already done the same thing with most all my firearms - all now belong to individual grandkids…

3 Likes

I guess that is what I would do… if I had grandkids :wink:

Yes, well, somehow, I think I don’t care what happens after I am gone… not sure though… ask me again tomorrow :crazy_face:

Yeah… not going to be sold, given away, borrowed out, shared or any other such atrocity with this one :wink:

5 Likes

Last week I was considering selling The Duke. It’s a good instrument with a good sound, but there is no reason really for such a bass in my herd. I’m not a fan of Jazz Basses, I don’t like the sunburst finish and it does not sound different enough from the others sounds I already have to justify keeping this instrument.

That said, I paid virtually nothing for it (I traded it as a wreck, for an old rack that I’ve had for free with a defect and that I repaired), so for now I keep it. Maybe I will trade it or sell it in the future, we’ll see.

6 Likes

Unless you just want to keep the bass for the sake of keeping it, all the stuff that doesn’t appeal to you would seem to suggest selling it would be best. But only you can make that decision.

4 Likes