Windows 11 - any issues with our sort of software?

My PC just wanted me to upgrade to Windows 11, which I know zero about yet.
Anyone have any experience with it and programs like we use, etc?

My one big pet peeve already is they are locking the taskbar to the bottom of the screen.
Mine has been on the top since they have had one, WTF?

2 Likes

I updated about a week and a half ago and everything is working just fine (and even better in some programs). The only thing that annoys me about it right now is they took away the ability to create groups in the start menu, but there have been so many complaints about that, Iā€™m sure Microsoft will get that taken care of.
My biggest concern was whether or not Divinci Resolve would function in W11, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover Resolve runs even better in W11 than it did in W10.

3 Likes

Under the hood, Windows 11 is like Windows 10.1 with a more modern looking user interface. Anything that runs on Windows 10 most likely runs on 11 as well.

2 Likes

There is a registry tweak to get the taskbar to the top of the screen, but it is not perfect and has some issues, like for example if you click on one of the icons in the notification area (often wrongly named ā€œsystem trayā€), the menus open up in the lower right.

If you really want to have your taskbar on the top, I think you should better hold out a little.
Windows 10 will be supported for another 4 years (until 2025), so no rush there.

3 Likes

Excellent, and looks like Abelton is good with it too, install awayā€¦

2 Likes

I guess I can deal, just not sure why on earth they are focing us to put it where Apple puts it, just because 'thatā€™s where Apple puts it"

1 Like

Iā€™ve always kept mine on the bottom, but now that you have brought it to my attention, ā€œthatā€™s how Apple does itā€, Iā€™ll have to figure out a way to put it on the top. I hate anything that comes from that company (Apple), and certainly donā€™t want to appear to be emulating their products. Thanks for that info @John_E

1 Like

That is not the reason. The reason is that the vast majority of users just leaves it at the bottom, and if you can get the others to just live with it, you can simplify your code.
All the issues the task bar has right now if you move it anywhere else but the bottom just hints at how much work goes into such an feature that then might only be used by a fraction of users.

4 Likes

Then itā€™s unfortunate that Mac OS also has a top menu bar.

1 Like

And setting the dock to be on the side is literally one click in MacOS Settings. You can choose left, bottom, or right. The menu bar is at the top.

I swear, if the software availability were the same, I wouldnā€™t run windows again in my life. Appleā€™s products are just such a better user experience.

Sadly, windows is where the software is at.

For me: not ā€œupgradingā€ to Win11 until I absolutely have to.

2 Likes

Apple stole it from Xerox, as did Windows, so youā€™re safe.

1 Like

Apple has always been a fan of ā€˜borrowingā€™ from others who did the hard work, usually from little known software houses. or developers. I donā€™t think Apple has ever invented anything. Where they donā€™t borrow, they buy up the tech.

1 Like

Well, Apple didnā€™t invent the Smartphone, but they did make it that much better so that it really took off.
Before, everyone was using resistive touchscreens and using it with your thumbs was really bad.
Apple slapped a capacitive touchscreen on it, made all the icons bigger and we have the usable smartphones we have now.
Nobody else thought of doing it that way.

Granted, they often get away with not doing much and still being praised for it. But it doesnā€™t mean they shaped our computing world we have today to a very big extend.

Apple didnā€™t, but the companies that they bought up did. Appleā€™s marketing probably did the bulk.

ā€œCome on in, the waters fine.ā€ :smile_cat:

You have nothing to be worried about @howard. It performs much better than Windows 10 with every program I use, particularly Davinci Resolve which is the most demanding of all of them.

There is absolutely no way I will ever update windows versions until after at least the first couple major bugfix patches.

2 Likes

Iā€™m right there with you on this one.
Too many issues with version upgrades in the past for my liking.

1 Like

Windows .0 versions are notorious. Not getting near my computer. The rule of thumb used to be to wait for the first Service Pack but these days holding out for a few major patches is probably fine.

1 Like

Sometimes I have been forced to upgrade when other software on my system utilized new features on a major Windows version upgrade but outside of that I can wait.

1 Like