Women on Bass

@Barney I’m not saying the guy in the video was using this kind of paint, but I recently became aware of a type of paint which, for a certain effect, the second coat should be applied with a brush vs. a roller, using a “criss-cross” type of pattern. It is lime wall paint (aka as “velvet wall paint”). Here are some videos showing how it is applied. You do need to use a mineral primer first.

Using this paint with the brush and painting in different directions, it gives a sort of “depth” look to the wall, something like plaster. I have yet to convince my husband that this will be just the thing for a couple of our rooms, but hope to swing it soon. The paint, at least at the company site above, is not inexpensive, which will no doubt offend his frugal principles. :wink:

4 Likes

Not to get off track and start a discussion here, but I don’t like watching that video because it draws my focus to the wrong thing right away. It was no accident. She came out on that stage that way for a purpose. To me it cheapens her performance because if shifts the focus from her bass playing.

Janet Jackson’s “wardrobe malfunction” was also on purpose. Nothing more than a publicity stunt.

There is a reason why all rock videos have hot chicks in them
Sex sells and the bands exploit it. Nothing to do with “us fellow dudes” focusing on anything wrong.

I showed my wife the video and asked her if anything jumped out at her and the first thing she noticed were the eye pokers.

If that is what this young lady wants to do and how she wants to express herself that’s fine, she is free to do so, but not something that I really care to watch. Not my cup of tea.

5 Likes

I disagree (respectfully). This is the double standard problem.
Can’t she just have “wore what she wanted”?
Does Flea “cheapen his performance” when he wears only shorts and no shirt?

The difference here is men sit on the Internet ogling an outline of a nipple through a shirt endlessly. Don’t blame the woman, blame the man.

Women can wear what they want and it doesn’t cheapen them or what they are doing.

16 Likes

It does not “cheapen” her performance in any way, shape, or form, any more than RHCP “cheapened” their music by appearing in nothing but carefully placed socks. That is a moral judgement you are making, and has nothing to do with Tal’s bass badassery.

Women have nipples, same as men (except women’s actually have a use - feeding babies). Thousands of years of misogyny has conditioned people to make comments like these - we all need to get over it.

8 Likes

I don’t care to look at flea’s nipples either! No double standard here! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

All joking aside, this is going to get out of hand quickly. I’m stopping here. I value all of our opinions. We are all entitled to them. Peace!

4 Likes

Getting back on track, Anna Portalupi.
She inspired me to do a cover of “Carry On Wayward Son” after watching this video:

https://youtu.be/Fsz66m94SMA

2 Likes

Victoria De Angelis. Who knew you could rock out a Danelectro?

2 Likes

Funny - I just watched their SNL appearance (it was the rebroadcast this week) and that was what jumped out at me - 'is that a Danelectro???" Generally, I find them ugly as sin, but I thought it really fit in with their vibe.

2 Likes

Weirdly, they do not sound bad.

3 Likes

Not at all - she sounded great…

1 Like

She’s a hell of a bass player and if she wants to show herself off , why not?
The guy singing certainly likes to :joy:

4 Likes

Hahaha well put :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any love here for Girlschool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe_LRasNay0

3 Likes

Hell yeah.
I actually jammed with their bass player at a mate’s house back in the day

3 Likes

Hey you can’t leave us hanging like that - there must be some kind of anecdote like “I’m still hung over”

All ears … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:joy:
She was cool. We practiced in a barn at the time and she was playing with our lead guitarist when I rocked up . I remember murdering Race with the Devil and our usual Quo etc .
Bit surreal really

3 Likes

Oh that is so cool. It means you are 2 degrees from Lemmy. And now I am 3 degrees :metal: :metal:

Actually, wasn’t one of Girlschool going out with Lemmy for a while?

2 Likes

Appreciated. :rofl: Here’s another angle, as a question to everyone: How many of you (guys) have ever worn a bra for an extended amount of time? They are uncomfortable, and can sometimes restrict your movement. The straps can slip down your shoulders if you’re moving around a lot. They can get very hot (temperature-wise). I’m imagining a guitar strap rubbing against the hooks of the bra rubbing against the skin of my back on a hot day and quite frankly UGH.

Try wearing a bra (NOT a sports bra) around the house for 9-12 hours and get back to me (be sure and add between 1-5 lbs of extra weight per bra cup otherwise you won’t get the full effect). Seriously - I’m not kidding.

Extra credit - if the weather is hot where you are, go outside in the bra for an hour. OK, fine - 20 minutes.

6 Likes

You mean The Bro?

3 Likes