Women on Bass

A few of my favorites:

• Nik West
  • Meshell Ndegeocello
  • Carol Kaye (og)
3 Likes

I love Tina and Chris. The Tom Club was around before the death of the Talking Heads. I went several heads shows once upon a time, and in the show Byrne would leave the stage, and we would get a set out of the Tom Club, and he would return and they would complete out.
Virtuoso of Love is, indeed, virtuoso.

5 Likes

Yes she does, saw them live about 4 or 5 times in the early 90’s with Pantera, Slayer and Danzig (at different shows, not all in one fest).

she has or had a signature bass from Schecter, it is a coffin shaped bass for her new band, or the one she is in after White Zombie, I don’t know much about it.

also,

Corey Parks. I love her. She was married to one of my “favorite punk rockers in the world”, a while back, and played in one of his bands “Die Hunns”. She was also from “Nashville Pussy”, and probably other stuff. Had been a long time friend of Lemmy. This is a great video.

D86CDA3D-8C33-4F60-BCD2-C599CEBBFA54

6 Likes

if there is any band on earth i don’t really get it’s ghost. but anyhoo, here (supposedly) is their bass player.

2 Likes

Lemmy said he had a major crush on someone in Nashville Pussy… I bet it was Corey Parks.

3 Likes

I will not take that bet, I would most likely lose.

1 Like

Anybody heard of Nikki Monninger? I recently “discovered” Silversun Pickups, the band she plays bass in, and I like her style!

8 Likes

Tina Weymouth rocks! Bootsy came to see her at one of her shows. If Bootsy comes to hear you play, You rock!

3 Likes

Jen Majura from Equilibrium and now with Evanescence brings a lot to the party.

Plays both Bass and Lead so super versatile.

3 Likes

Somebody posted about her on Mar 22 or 23, so yeah, some have heard of her.

Oops! Guess I missed that :blush:

1 Like

I was not telling you that you posted something somebody else did.
I was just pointing out that at least somebody else heard of her.

3 Likes

Hi everyone. Aimee Mann and Juliana Hatfield deserve a look in, and they both played bass and sang lead with their first bands ('Til Tuesday and Blake Babies, respectively) – which is amazing to me as a beginner who can’t seem to even remember to breathe while I’m playing…

3 Likes

Just do what Al Jourgenson says to do.

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard of them.
Their tune Lazy Eye and others reminds me of Belly…

https://youtu.be/vs7mb_ue0Hg

1 Like

Just watched a great interview on the Talking Bass channel on YouTube with Tanya O’Callaghan .
Basically a session musician with an amazing talent who has not only a great reputation in the rock/metal world but seems to be able to find the groove in anything she turns her hand to.

11 Likes

Yeah, I watched that interview also…

2 Likes

any girl who’s hair is flying all over when she plays is cool :+1:

4 Likes

I was referring to her playing style. But you’re not wrong :wink:

2 Likes

I love listening to chordal playing styles using the thumb for the bass bass. Dreamy.

4 Likes