Women on Bass

oh yeah, not downplaying it. she’s really good. I just love people having fun when they play.

3 Likes

Tanya’s actually a local girl, she used to live about 30 mins drive from me.
I haven’t seen her on stage in ages, not since she moved across the pond.

3 Likes

Sean Ysealt does this quite well.

1 Like

Oh yes!

Coincidentally, do you know whether there is any truth in the myth that she was the model for the cover of the Black Sabbath tribute Nativity in Black? White Zombie did a track on there.
iu

4 Likes

I do not know, but it kind of makes sense if they were collaborators.

1 Like

I’ve flicked through the thread and can’t see her mentioned but the first and biggest female bass player for me was Carrie Melbourne.

I enclose a few pictures.

You see, I was a huge Babylon Zoo fan back in the day (still am actually)

redbassistuse

unnamed (3)

4 Likes

Wow. She looks a lot like a friend of mine.

3 Likes

Great thread! I’m learning a lot, I hadn’t realize that most of the bands listed here had female bassists but that’s very cool.

I knew 2 female bassists in real life myself so they aren’t that rare. One of them was actually very good & constantly practiced.

Anyways carry on with more posts, they are interesting.

5 Likes

The girl in post number 89 goes by juliaplaysgroove on YouTube , if you really want to be impressed go on there and find her playing Dark Necessities by RHCP. She has many others but that one is impressive.

4 Likes

Man, I wish that was the case. I know a couple chicks who have played in bands and toured, but it’s, by and large, a guys club out there. I had one female bassist in a band I used to sing with. We’d be mistaken for band girlfriends constantly. It was some bullshit. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Ugh, that sucks, sorry to hear that.

5 Likes

See you were in one too. That’s true & it does suck for most women in that regard. Heard some women have male aliases when they write books so they would be taken more seriously as authors. Which is dogshit, isn’t it?

But I was just saying that nowadays there are far more women showing interest in playing guitar & bass lately than there ever has. Which I think is cool. Whether they want to tour or just jam is a whole other story.

There is also tons of female fronted metal out there too, which I know is different than playing an instrument. But there are tons of badass women out there in music. Like Otep for example. Their vocalist has always kicked ass. Beastly growls, then pipes down to sweet female vocalist again. Can’t hate. :heart_eyes:

https://youtu.be/VXRM2PoHGDw

3 Likes

So huge here in Japan right now. It’s a whole metal subgenre.

Female bass players are super common here too. Really really good ones.

5 Likes

I heard baby metal only because there was so much talk about it but I was surprised that I like it. They were pretty heavy and fun to listen to.

2 Likes

Brody Dalle from The Distillers. Plays guitar and sings, not bass, but she is freaking amazing to front a band.

This is a killer set. If you watch to the end, the way she ends the set is so freaking punk rock.

I would question how much of this is fact, that more women are playing? Or that more people are aware of the fact, that women are playing, due to the internet and youtube?
Just like so many other things in life, people always tend to say how something happens so often these days, when in fact, it has always happened, but it is reported with lightning speed now a days, so more people are aware of things that have always happened, and they are not happening more frequently, but being reported daily, and nothing is really missed…
I am 100% for women in, anything, really, and equality for all people. It is great that we all get to see these women display their talent in this day and age thru YT, Tik-Tok, FB, insta-snap-gram-chat, etc…, where they would have had to BE DISCOVERED, and signed to a major label 30 years ago.
This goes for everybody also, Men, Women, Boys, Girls, LBGT, but I hat to categorize, I just like to think of everybody as People and every person as a person.
I don’t often say, Wow, they play great for a girl, tho I have been surprised to find out that it was a female person singing, just because of character traits that are male, aka vocal depth.

1 Like

Band-Maid is pretty standard straight mainstream metal. Band-Maid’s bassist is exceptionally good. Don’t let their gimmick fool you, they are all really talented musicians, especially the lead guitarist.

Women front bands in all sorts of metal subgenres from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uds7g3M-4lQ

Even subgenres that are kind of unique.

4 Likes

This. Always this.
Sorry you had to deal with it.

It’s band-by-visual-association out there. In the band I toured with, our sound engineer was a great kid - tatted out, gauges in the ears, cigarettes, cool band shirts, etc.
He was constantly assumed to be in the band, and would sometimes get compliments after the show even though he was never on the stage.
But he looked like what people think band members look like: dude with tats and gauges and band shirts.

I sure hope this changes.

4 Likes

Yousei Teikoku sounds like the love child of Corvus Corax and Pantera.

I love it.

3 Likes

it’s fun to sing along to non-English speaking bands and wonder what you’re saying :grin:

4 Likes

I struggle getting the lyrics right in English never mind about non-English :joy:

2 Likes