Yamaha TRBX not cutting it for me

I’m using studio monitors with a sub. System is flat down to 20 Hz. Room is treated. Playing bass through a Radial JDI and Jensen TwinServo preamp, routed through a Pete’s Place BAC-500 compressor.

Good call on the amp chain, but in this case, it’s not an issue. :slight_smile:

In any case, through the same monitoring setup, the BB sounds thicker than the TRBX.

I also have a Peavey Max 100 bass amp. I use it if I’m not playing in my studio. It’s a little 10" basic practice amp, or as I call it, “Picnic amp”… Something to kick around that’s light and portable. I, too, started with a Rumble 40. I chose the Peavey over the Rumble 100 after listening to several bass amps in that price range… The Peavey was the only one where the bottom three frets on the E string sounded like different notes. It’s actually not a terrible amp. I’m going to build my “big” bass amp, which I described in a different thread here. The short of it: 2x12" with a true compression tweeter. 3-way plate amp delivering 2x250 watts and 1x100w. Onboard DSP for crossover, EQ curves, driver time-alignment. I’ve done a bit of software modeling with my drivers of choice to determine crossover points, basic EQ filters, etc. It should be capable of 116 dB at 60 Hz and above, with an F3 of 31 Hz. FaitalPro drivers. Mesa Subway+ DI will be the preamp/front end. Or maybe the NeuralDSP Quad Cortex if I want to live on the bleeding edge! Haha.

1 Like

It’s actually the best choice for this now :slight_smile:

@Celticstar if you want to tag certain people, all you have to do is type the @ character followed by their forum name (like I just did with yours)… As a bonus, they get notified that you mentioned them :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

As we are on the topic, I am looking to upgrade to either a Rumble 100 though I hate the look, or an Ampeg Micro CL 2x10" head and cab, or anything else $400ish

1 Like

@Mike_NL

Thank you for the tip

1 Like

Always go head cab if you can. You get more scalability that way and can try different cabs or even add an extra one. I’d go Ampeg

Hey Wombat-metal,

I suggest creating a new thread for this question; otherwise, it’s a question buried in an otherwise irrelevant thread, and won’t be discoverable by people not interested in someone (me) whining about a Yamaha TRBX bass. :wink:

1 Like

A few weeks ago I put Elixir strings on the BB. They’re a lot more wooly than other strings, given they’re coated. Maybe I should try those on my TRBX on next string change… Currently have Curt Mangan strings on the TRBX.

You could also try adjusting the pickup height on the TRBX.

Oh, already done that! :slight_smile: I watched a bunch of videos on how to set up basses, bought specialized tools, and had at it. The pickups have been all over the height map.

I read in another thread where someone pulled out the active guts and put in a different preamp and got a much bigger tone… I don’t think I’m quite ready for THAT step, but keeping it in mind.

1 Like

What have you done, @smurillo - I think I am actually starting to prefer the coffee burst one too now. And I usually don’t even like bursts.

Yamaha does these subtle bursts very nicely. I wish they wouldn’t try the more traditional bursts at all. The BB734A’s burst looks way better than the BBP34’s.

This:

versus this:

I like the 734 much more there. Of course it’s a crime to pass up the midnight blue on the BBP34. One of the best colors I have ever seen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like, the black one looks awesome in isolation, but once there’s other stuff going on (like live) it’s almost too subtle. Hooky’s put a bunch of stickers on his.

Also, I want that shirt. That is an amazing shirt.

1 Like

Buaahahaha my evil plan worked! :imp:

I really like the subtle and dark burst of the BB734A. I agree that it looks better than the BBP34. Indeed that dark blue would be the goto color for the BBP34!

Look into my eyes and hear my voice @howard… Go “window” shopping this weekend. Don’t forget your wallet. Report to us when your back…

1 Like

@howard To rest my case for your weekend shopping :stuck_out_tongue: Here is a guy comparing lots of Yamaha’s guitar. Video is very long and skipped most of it to be honest. You might enjoy it. It ranks the BB735 against some other Yamahas.

Also Miki showcasing the 734 and P35 with English captions

Okay. I’ve said enough… Will keep my trap shut… maybe.

3 Likes

Tyler Spicer. Great and knowledgeable guy and I share his opinion on lots of bass subjects. He is still learning to improve his YT channel but I think he is doing a good job (you should see his early work :see_no_evil:).

3 Likes

@smurillo curse you and your mind-control :slight_smile:

Couldn’t resist the burst in the end :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Figured this would happen. Nice bass! :metal:

2 Likes

1 Like

@howard CONGRATS!!! Man. So happy for you. Yes!!! Well done. Such an awesome bass!! Beautiful too.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, had a great time last night with it. Feels great, more meat in the neck, sort of like a modern P-bass than the 604 but still fast. Love the neck finish too.

The only thing I would change so far is the tuning machine keys (I don’t like clover keys) but the machines themselves seem fine.

The J pickup is pretty noisy. Not bad over monitors but definitely there in 'phones. Gonna need to be careful with that (or swap it out someday). The P pickup is fantastic, really excellent tone and clarity.

It is for sure heavier. Not bad at all though.

2 Likes