Yamaha TRBX304, BOSS WAZA-AIR BASS, & Wi-Fi

Howdy esteemed bass gang - Two questions for anyone (if anyone) who has direct experience:

1. Have you successfully linked your Yamaha TRBX304 to the BOSS WAZA-AIR BASS? If yes, did you need to incorporate an adapter as described in the Cautions When Connecting the WL-T Transmitter manual? Any tips, tricks, warnings, mitigations for a bunch of dongles hanging off the guitar? I’ve dreamed up two adapter approaches to consider:
  • right-angle adapter, and let the junk swing around down there. seems uncomfortable.
  • right-angle adapter with long enough cable to hang the transmitter out the back of the body strap connection as if I were wired. guessing that this won’t affect latency in any noticeable way.
  1. I can list 29 wi-fi networks from my location, today. I imagine each one to be stuffed full of personal devices beaming signals that relentlessly tickle the happiness chemicals in my neighbors brains and a horde of useless IoT thingies, many of which are strong enough to get a signal into my zone. This seems to me like what probably qualifies as a noisy 5 & 2.4 GHz RF environment. Have any of you successfully used the BOSS WAZA-AIR BASS gear in a similar environment? What has been your experience trying to do so? Did you just have to return it for a refund?

What I’ve tried:

• searching for the Yamaha TRBX304 service manual. I found one on manualslib, but I don’t trust that site. The immediately viewable diagram was fuzzed enough to not be useful. I opened up the electronics compartment, removed the jack, and eyeballed it for a bit, but it’s not clear to me. I signed into my Yamaha account and requested one (a moment ago). No response yet, obviously.
  • reading the WAZA-AIR FAQ
  • poking around in this and other forums.

Ok, with that, I’m off to strap myself into my lessons configuration, which has me feeling a bit like Houdini in a straight-jacket. Also, my old Alesis headphones have developed a short, which… AAAaaaaaaggghhh.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not following you here. The bass doesn’t connect to anything.

The WAZA transmitter you plug into your bass should connect to the headphones automatically. If not. There are instructions on how to pair them.

Your WAZA headphones connect to your device (phone/tablet) via Bluetooth.

Both headphones and transmitter need to be charged.

There is no wifi.

5 Likes

Connecting and operating the Waza Air-Bass transmitter/headphones system isn’t difficult, but it’s not necessarily intuitive at first glance.

The instructions definitely lay out how to do it, but if you need any help beyond the printed word, just shout. There are a few of us Waza Air-Bassers here who can clear things up further.

The good news is: like playing bass, firing up/using/troubleshooting the Air-Bass system becomes second nature and much easier the more often you do it. :+1:

2 Likes

Your reply timing is perfect. I’m in the middle of Module 7, Lesson 1 - chromatic scales, and this is the perfect excuse to duck out of it until my soul can recover. I realize now that I left out some baseline info. Restating a bit.

My Yamaha TRBX304 has battery-powered active electronics. Boss documents a known connection problem from the WL-T transmitter to the bass guitar output jack because of how some active bass output jacks are wired. They recommend using one of two workarounds involving adapters in the referenced document.

• Connection question 1 - If any of you have a TRBX304 (or maybe another active bass) into which you have plugged the WL-T transmitter for the WAZA-AIR BASS headphones, does it a) work just fine; b) require one of the workarounds; or c) something else? If b), then how did you work it out to your satisfaction?
  • Connection question 2 - TRBX304 does not matter for this one. Boss’ specs indicate that the WL-T transmitter operates on the 2.4 GHz frequency, as do a lot if home IT devices on the 2.4 GHz frequency wi-fi networks that I mentioned (not sure how my fingers or brain coughed up “2.6 GHz” above, will have to try to edit that). As described above, my estimation is that my radio frequency environment is probably saturated and noisy. So, I’m wondering if anyone in a similar environment has experienced interference when the WL-T plugged into their bass output jack is talking wirelessly to the headphones. I’m guessing that the distance from the WL-T to the headphones is so close that the signal is strong enough so that interference is generally not a problem, but I just don’t know yet.

Another thing I did not state is that I recognize mine is an edge case and there may not be many answers available. I expect that I’ll just go ahead and order the likely gear, try it out, keep/return depending on results, and report findings back on this thread in case it’s useful to anyone else out near my edge.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I think you are overthinking this and should just try it.

1 Like

If you made that as a T Shirt I’d buy it @howard

5 Likes

Yeah, probably somewhat on this one. If I underthink it when GASsing, I end up with piles of junk that I then have to get rid of.

2 Likes

Nah! That’s just covering their butt. I use my WAZA air for all of my basses and more than a few dozens are active, I don’t have that issue at all. Some drop off now and then because of the competing Bluetooth signal yes. First time connection to midi audio and BT audio, yes.

This is a personal use, so you don’t have to worry about the signal drop because you can’t and are not sharing your audio to anyone. I don’t mind a little hiccup here and their info forgot to turn off all of the Bluetooth connected devices.

What’s your experience so far with this. Have you got interference? If so look into an extension 1/4” jack you’d get it from the place that sell the wireless jack.

2 Likes

Experience so far is that I’ve read and asked all I that can stand, and I just now clicked the “buy” button. Supposed to appear tomorrow. Will post early returns. Bluetooth seems fairly quiet in my zone, so I’m hopeful. 2.4 GHz looks downright noisy, so we’ll find out after effing around. Thankfully, there’s a UPS store nearby for returns. I’m going to enjoy slinging the Alesis headphones into the nearest dumpster when the time finally comes. There should be a satisfying thump or thoomp, and maybe a ricochet. We’ll see.

2 Likes

wait what wha?
You hadn’t bought this yet when asking your question?
ah - ya, buy em, you will LOVE EM.

1 Like

Nopers. I either a) don’t buy sh/t; or b) buy sh/t for the long haul. My Ex Officio unders are from 2015 and seem to have another 2 or 3 years in them. My 4Runner is from 2003, and I don’t want to ditch it yet. You don’t need to dwell on that. So, there’s a bit of validation I have to go through along with development of an exit strategy when deciding to buy sh/t. I’ve bought 'em. Supposed to appear tomorrow. I’m not a proper consumer, am I?

1 Like

Yes you are a proper consumer but a terrible GASer, lol.

Rule number 1 buy first ask questions or worry about it later.
Rule number 2 when all else fails follow rule number 1.
lol

2 Likes

Hah! I’ve seen pix of your shred shed :smile: . Together, we can maintain balance in the universe!

1 Like

SHhh! we gotta keep it down low. Only a few people here knows about it, :rofl:

1 Like

That’s practically communism.

2 Likes

I need to overthink my life choices. I wonder how old his underwear are.

Obviously, he goes commando.

2 Likes

So you’re saying he’s a… Communard?

(Bronski Beat’s Jimmy Somersville in his other band :slight_smile: )

1 Like

More like a Commu-nads. :cherries:

1 Like

Ahh. Maybe a west coast thing, nads/nards were synonyms for us growing up :slight_smile:

Sigh. Well, at least achivement unlocked. I’d been waiting 40 years to make that joke. One to tick off the bucket list.

Plus Jimmy Somersville is awesome, now I need to go listen to some of his stuff.

3 Likes