Without good bass muting technique, the notes you mean to play will get smothered by the rumbling racket of ringing strings.
If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, this lesson would fit anywhere after Module 4, but keep in mind that muting takes a long time to master, especially the fretting hand techniques!
The Five Bass Muting Fixes
For those who prefer a text summary:
Plucking Hand Techniques
- The Thumb Mute - use your thumb to cover the E and A strings
- The Pull Across - pluck towards the next string down to keep it muted
- The Sneaky Finger - sneak in your ring and pinky to cover the E, A, and even D strings
Fretting Hand Techniques
- The String Sitter - leave your finger(s) resting on the string between notes
- The Flat Hand - flatten out your fretting fingers, especially your index, to keep the high strings covered that you aren’t playing
How did the big muting test go for you at the end?