Your Bass Muting Technique Sounds Like S**t (How to Fix It)

Don’t despair! I feel muting is very much a continued practice sort of thing and you shouldn’t feel like you’re failing at bass if you’re not muting 100% correctly 100% of the time. I myself wasn’t physically able to do flat-hand technique when I first started playing bass, and now after some time spent, my fingers will actually bend that way as I play – but I still have to think to do it, sometimes. I wasn’t doing much of it at all until I started to get into playing with the pick and found some stuff just couldn’t be palm-muted, if that makes sense. It’s just another layer of learning – not the whole kit-n-kaboodle. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ye I just did a practice and it didnt feel so bad actually just have to think about it a bit more… Its weird when your so comfortable doing something a certain way then changing it all together… Just have to take things a little slower again for a while.

4 Likes

I thought my muting was okay until I started playing with synths pedals. Seems I need to improve a lot more :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Anyone that wants to get better at muting fast, try playing with a pick for a while. It’s kind of a forcing function for muting improvement.

7 Likes