Zero fret

Following a discussion in another thread the concept of the zero fret has really interested me so when I dropped on this tonight it would have been rude not to press the buy it now button lol.
It will be going on the P bass and I’m looking forward to seeing how it works out . With no modifications being made to the neck and a fitting time of around 15 minutes I’m hoping that it’s as good as it claims to be :pray:t2:

10 Likes

This seems like such a good idea.

5 Likes

I hope so and it was very reasonable at around $30 from the USA

5 Likes

What exactly is that? I can’t tell from the photo.

4 Likes

It’s a replacement nut @PamPurrs but with a groove to allow a fret wire to be fitted between the nut and the fret board so making a zero fret arrangement.

4 Likes

Sounds very interesting, @Mac. Perhaps though not as easy as they would make it sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moW0aJUwmWQ

Since I need to replace the nut of my J at some point anyway, I might consider this approach! Thanks for making us aware of this option!

5 Likes

Let us know how it goes @Mac, especially the installation part.

4 Likes

No worries @joergkutter
To be honest I never believe what they say regarding fitting time. I’ve been caught out like that before lol
The stock Fender nut is a nasty plastic one so I as browsing for a new one and this cropped up so as I has planned on a bone nut anyway I thought why not ?
@Moose_Hofer kindly explained the concept to me and it seems a good idea.

5 Likes

You may hear the expletives where you are if things don’t go to plan @PamPurrs :joy:

4 Likes

I bet this makes open strings sound awesome. Looking forward to how you like it.

5 Likes

I’m hoping so and if it does I’ll be doing the Ibanez too :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Are you ordering the ones you have to cut yourself, or do they have them for your bass?
I didn’t see one for the 5 string Yamaha, so I would probably have to order a blank and cut it.

3 Likes

I’ve ordered Fender P specific one . Not sure if they do one for the Ibanez so if they don’t I would be doing it myself @PamPurrs

3 Likes

I hope I didn’t send you down a rabbit hole! I know how quick and easy installs turn into half day headaches. Good luck.

Remember, the zero frets on my basses are “stock.” I didn’t have to do a thing…

I’m very interested to see how this turns out.

5 Likes

The German hofners have always come standard with the zero nut fret, but I have the cheaper ignition. I’ve thought about putting one on to get closer to the true hofner sound…I just don’t play it as much as my other Basses, so haven’t made the investment yet. I’d be interested to hear how it turns out on some other brands.

4 Likes

No, not at all @Moose_Hofer lol :joy:
After your post the zero fret thing seems so logical that I was amazed that so few manufacturers did it. Then when this cropped up I thought why not ?
If this goes well and I like the results I will end up doing the same with the Ibanez @Sully

4 Likes

Would you be able to record some open string sounds, before and after, to what differences you hear?

3 Likes

I’ll definitely do that @eric.kiser

3 Likes

Ok lost here…this makes the open string sound brighter and or less thumpy? So in reality the only thing it does is brighten your open E as anything else can be covered by a fifth fret? seems to me it takes away more versatility than it gives…sort of lets you slack off on fingering/fretting to get a uniform sound rather than allowing an optional highlight…excuse my lack of musical terms…

2 Likes

It makes all of your open strings sound more like fretted notes. Fretted notes generally have better tone than open strings.

There’s a lot of times where it’s way, way more convenient to play open strings than it is to fret the fifth fret on the next string down.

5 Likes