Zoom app

I am curious to know…

In today’s world, where so many things are conducted over the net, ya know, all those things that as a kid, I would see people in a movie, talking to one and other over a video phone, some many years in the future, and I am thinking to myself “hmmm…, that will never happen in my lifetime”. Yeah, so now it’s real, and it’s starting to be a real means to bring people together.
And I mean more so now with the Covid pandemic, my life has started to actually rely on zoom in order to keep moving thru my day to day business in order to have a somewhat normal day.
I have support groups that meet at regular intervals, all on ZOOM. I see doctors over ZOOM. I do family sessions with my daughter on weekends since she is still recovering from her leg amputation, and is locked down where she can’t have visitors. I see other friends, family on FaceTime and ZOOM.
And, yes, I do bass lessons over ZOOM.

So, back to what I am curious about.

Would anybody here be open to, willing to, happy to, or excited to, or even if you were scared to and nervous to, would get together in groups, as big or small as it may be, to play together, jam together, practice, learn, teach, and whatever else there may be to do Bass related on ZOOM with other BassBuzz members.

I guess I should just turn it into a poll, and see what comes.

We could study / practice
Practice music / songs
Do topic sessions
More advanced users could conduct a work shop sort of thing
Do groups related to set ups
Just jam and play music
Learn from and teach one and other
Etc…

If you build it, they will come.

• Yes I would join a Zoom session
  • No I would not join
  • I may join, depending on who else is joining
  • I secretly want to join, but nerves hold me back

0 voters

4 Likes

Must admit I was torn between the first and last option :crazy_face:

1 Like

Well, may just be the two of, who knows yet.

That said, there is no real time or schedule set up, that will be a “next step”

3 Likes

I would be happy to join as my ultimate goal is to play in a band - rock/pop/jazz/soul/funk I have no preference. However - I may not be good enough to do that yet and would bow out if I felt I was letting the side down.

3 Likes

This would be made comfortable for all who join, of all levels. If others are advanced, there could be separate jam sessions that could branch off.
And even if you join and watch and learn it should be beneficial. That is YT he point, to help one and other learn and get better.

3 Likes

Ok - lets do it

3 Likes

Not tonight though…beer has kicked in :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I have not made any plans for when.
Hat will be more of a group conscience.

2 Likes

I would join a Zoom, not to play as I am nowhere near that stage, but to watch others demo’ing something or to talk about a bass topic.
One question I do have - for those that want to jam - would the various audio/video delays that wouldn’t be uniform for each participant make jamming difficult?

3 Likes

Not sure. I do bass lessons on Zoom and it’s not an issue. Possibly depends on how many connections?? Maybe Jams could be set up in frequent smaller groups they people can set up, or have set up for people to drop in or out??

Zoom seems to hand,e things pretty good, but we will just sort of have to test the waters and roll with the punches.

All said, I would encourage you to at least have your Bass strapped on, plugged in, ready to play, even if you don’t. But if Simon says “ try this” to the group, and you are not ready, you will miss out.

Plus, I am not very good, I am wanting this to learn, to get comfortable playing with others, and to get to know all who join, at a level above text.

Anyway, of course, you, or anybody could log on and not have bass ready, but it sure would be awesome if you were bass ready

4 Likes

Damn @T_dub, you’ve added a whole new level of anxiety to my life. Not only do I have to be ‘work ready’, and ‘covid ready’, I now have to be ‘bass ready’ at all times in case my laptop bursts into life at 2am with a forum Zoom request!
I’m going to have to practice rapid bass guitar deployment drills.
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
Sorry couldn’t resist, I just had this image of forum members preparing ‘ready bags’ of picks, spare strings and a fret chart :grin:
Still up for the Zoom idea , just no unannounced 2am calls

4 Likes

Forgot about the time zone thing :scream:

3 Likes

You can sit outside @Mac and play under the stars at 2am. Your amp is already outside!

4 Likes

Like the old Bomb threat videos in school, or earthquake drills (California thing, and other localized places), other “scare the piss out of you videos” like nuclear attack.

Get the under a desk???

Duck under a desk!, everything will be ok if you get under a desk.

Do you have a desk to get under @Mark_UK

As long as you have a desk to hide under, you are ok if not bass ready at all times

2 Likes

Yep the neighbours are gunna love that :joy::joy: @Mark_UK @Mac @T_dub

4 Likes

Our new Zoom recruitment poster?
Duck-and-Cover-Bert-the-Turtle-1951-from-the-protective-action-campaign-produced-by

5 Likes

Yes, this may be a challenge, or may create several different Tim zone specific groups, or it may not.

Maybe we need another time to select times that you are available, GMT?

I am free a lot, but let’s get a group conscience.

WHAT TIME BLOCK IS BEST FOR YOU TO JOIN A ZOOM MEETING TO GET TOGETHER, GET TO KNOW ONE AND OTHER, PLAY BASS AND SEE WHERE THIS TAKES US

Please vote in GMT, not your time zone, BUT YOUR TIME ZONE IN RELATION TO GMT

• 12am-3am (0 -3 GMT)
  • 4am-6am GMT
  • 7am-10am GMT
  • 11am-1pm GMT
  • 2pm-5pm GMT
  • 5pm-8pm GMT
  • 9pm-12am GMT
0 voters
3 Likes

We’re 10 hours ahead here in Oz

18 ahead of the US west coast :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I forgot to mention, you can choose all the time blocks that apply.

I am -9 hours

2 Likes