Zoom effects processors

There’s enough good sounding ones that it’s enough, imo.

2 Likes

I remember the chorus+reverb patch being a standout good one.

2 Likes

Hmmm I don’t have that on my Zoom. Could it be under a different name?

2 Likes

I have an AnalogCho(rus) at position 19 that I do not dislike.

3 Likes

@peterhuppertz beware of #39… just sayin’

4 Likes

Too late. :boom: :confounded: :rofl:

5 Likes

LOL, when I first ordered mine, I had read on one of the reviews something about #39 and to be very careful with it. Well… I was always that kid who would stick my finger in a light socket just because someone told me it was dangerous, so which patch do you suppose I tried first…

5 Likes

After I had gotten back up from the smoking remains of what was once my studio, my first thought was, oh that’s gonna come in handy for my cover of Pink Floyd’s The Final Cut.

4 Likes

I have been playing with the stompbox and testing sounds from the effects modeled after real pedals. I find them a bit disappointing however, I wish they would have (could have, copyright probably) modeled the same controls on the real one to allow for the same way to use the features each pedal has.

And I will be honest, none of the compression patches compare to my Behringer Limiter Enhancer. I have come to the realization that I love that pedal, and it will be my compression pedal, at least for starters.

I Think the TV Electronic chorus pedals are modeled well, but I don’t have a real one to compare. I am not happy with the Octaver and the Fuzz is just ok. Don’t like most of the overdrives either. The delay is ok, but it’s a simple effect.envelope filters are pretty good, as are the tremolo, phaser and pitch shifter. The define is interesting, but I am not sure I completely understand this effect. The tremolo is fine, and the reverb options are pretty good too.

Chaining them together is where I have the least certainty, / confidence in the unit. I don’t think it is the same as two actual pedals. May be close, but I think so,etching may be lost.
Without the actual pedals to chain, and then run side by side comparison, I can’t say for sure.
I can say running my Limiter / Enhancer in front of the Zoom, and combining with single patches on the Zoom leaves something to be desired, and I can’t say I am happy with the result.
But
I still have much to learn, so maybe I will find ways to make it better, until I start a pedal board.
Well, I kind of am, but just a couple effects to start when they arrive on Saturday. I have been waiting for about 10 days already, finally they will arrive.

2 Likes

They all do have tweakable controls. Do you mean the controls are different?

2 Likes

Yes, I do not think the tweak knobs are identical to what is on the real pedals. I know for sure the MarkBass is way limited with 4 tweak knobs and the real one has at least 8. Pretty sure that most of the, are quite different, but I do not have the real ones to be sure. I could look some of them up.

I know, that would be a lot to ask for, seeing as there are thousands and thousands of dollars in pedals and amps / cabs wrapped up in this $80 unit, and it does a decent job of replicating sound but combines features in one knob to give less overall control, like to make the interface easier, take the Markbass compression for example. IIRC, it has a 4 or 5 band EQ with High pass, High Mid, Low Mid, Hugh Low and Low low.
(Similar to that if memmory serves correct, may not be exactly that, but for the example it works)
So in the Zoom, they would all be combined into a TONE tweak.
Now I understand why.
First, copyright fees would drive up the cost big time. And second, the $80 unit is replicating a $300 unit, and 40 other $100to $1000 plus items.

So I get why, I am just saying, I will need to do some pedal to pedal experi,ending, and pedal board creation at some time, like you, and others, to create my sound, the sound I like, with actual pedal to pedal set up. Less the simulation loss of how can I say it, real world sound.
That’s what I meant to say in a nut shell I think

1 Like

And since we are on the subject of Zoom @howard, I have question about Zoom DAI, the U-22 specifically (if that is the right model).
Is that device compatible with my IPad? Amazon said it was.

Also, @PamPurrs, is the U-22 the unit you have, and are replacing with the U-24?

I don’t see many good options for DAI into IPad other then the cheap I-Rig, a few cheap copy’s, a few portable amps featuring I-rig, an I-Rig 2 and o e or two very cheap looking similar items. And then some very expensive DAI that say IOS and Android compatibile, but are around $200 and up.

It seemed that the Zoom U-22 was a little over $100, and there is something called Guitar Pro that was $99, but nothing else in the $100 and below range.

So if the Zoom U-22 is the only real option without spending $190 or more, I am very very very interested in purchasing yours @PamPurrs when your new one comes in. For reals, I am interested.

1 Like

I have the U-24.

Zoom claims the U-22 works with iDevices:

presumably via a lightning/USB adapter.

2 Likes

Yes @howard You have the U-24: and talked @PamPurrs into upgrading from the 2# to the 24 IIRC.

But do you know of any other good options for DAI to Ipad?

I am actually kind of surprised they all don’t simply work. Most probably do. It’s USB, so while drivers would be needed for device-specific features, for general audio in/out it seems odd that most don’t just work.

Also:

I didn’t talk her in to it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, it’s input is the headphone jack. Typically output. So if I put a mo3 player to the headphone, It wouldn’t just play thru the speakers of the iPad, I don’t think. The I rig is some sort of technology which reverses it.
Unless the GB app is able to recognize the headphone jack as a viable input??? Idk, I have never tried it.

Anybody know about this???

There are some apple adapters for USP to lightning port, mostly photo / video products, some devices said they work with the adapter, but most I saw looked like cheap product that wouldn’t arrive until late June to late July.

And the simple IRig is the same thing. I would try it for $10 no problem, but don’t wanna wait til July 20. By then GC and Fry’s will be back open and may carry it, or something like it.

The 'phone jack is a TRRS plug with a mic in. I assume that’s how the iRig uses it.

I strongly doubt any USB DAI will use the 'phone jack as input. Newer model iPads don’t even have them.

If you look at the U-22 instructions, it says:

“Connect the U-22 to the iOS device using an Apple iPad Camera Connection
Kit or Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.”

I would actually be surprised if this didn’t work for any USB DAI, modulo device-specific features. Can’t guarantee anything though of course.

2 Likes

If you got to talkbass.com, there are a lot of people using the zoom and other similar units for gigging.

It’s a lot easier to show up with a Zoom to play for people that will never know the difference than it is to bring along your pedal board with your masterfully crafted sound to play for people that will never know the difference.

I haven’t played live. So, take with a grain of salt.

This is the impression I get from most of the stuff I’ve read about this aspect of playing live.

1. For most people that play live, they’re not playing to a room full of musicians. They’re usually playing to room full of drunk people.
  2. The acoustics of one location to the next are going to be different and most of them will cause one problem or another.
  3. You have the venue’s sound person to contend with and they can be as unpredictable as any other people (…and they may also be drunk).
  4. A pedal board is expensive and takes work to manage the multiple points of failure.

Add all of this together and you can use a Zoom (and almost no one will be able to tell the difference) and you can have a backup Zoom with both of them together being a lot less expensive than building a pedal board.

Having said all that… I love pedals… I want all the pedals!

Even though I realize they will mostly be just for me.

8 Likes

Yeah I was under the impression lots of people do use them live.

Equipboard thinks so too, or at least Stu Hamm and Marcus Miller:

Most would probably be using B3ns and not B1fours, but the B1four is basically a smaller B3n (including the same pedals, patches, and so on - the only real difference is the B3n has a more suitable user interface for multiple effect use).

7 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser and @howard, I stand corrected. I love being wrong, It means I learned something.

3 Likes