Zoom effects processors

Well, VOX makes one too.

It uses the camera USB adapter too.

So does Fender

“In a hockey rink, nobody is going to hear the difference.”
(Frank Zappa)

2 Likes

Eh, cute but for $50 you can get a real DAI.

3 Likes

No, you didn’t talk me into it @howard, but your words of wisdom guided me in that direction :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

My zoom still isn’t here from Amazon, but I just found one new in the box on Facebook for $80. I’ll pick it up tomorrow, so I’ll get it faster and for $30 less! Amazon issued a refund. I’ve been doing good finding like new gear online recently, which has really let me acquire a big chunk of my GAS wishlist much faster than I expected to be able. Can’t wait to play around with it tomorrow.

4 Likes

Saving money on gear is always nice. That means you have more money to spend on MORE gear :rofl:

5 Likes

This thing is fun! I love the looper and the drum machine. As previous reviews in this thread say, most of the preset patches are pretty bad, but I enjoy some of the synth and wah ones. I finally understand what you guys mean about 39… I edited that one right away so that never happens again!

My first attempt ever at using a looper worked so well I can’t believe it. I found a drum rhythm I liked and started a loop using the basic Billy Jean riff. Started playing with different sounds, using them to overdub another layer onto the loop to just build it up little by little. Even my wife walked in to talk about how cool it was and how good it sounded… Not her normal reaction to me bringing home new gear! I expect this will be endless hours of fun. This thing can’t help but get your creative juices flowing! So much fun.

3 Likes

Awesome!

I don’t think I would say most of the patches are bad. But there’s a good third of them or so that are basically “LOL, no.”

but yeah, the way to use the thing is definitely to make your own patches and use stompbox mode as if it were a virtual pedalboard, and not a patch.

4 Likes

I don’t know about that… I’d say a good third of them are usable. The other 2/3 (including the infamous #39) are horse hockey.

4 Likes

The preset patches are basically just demos in the end. The real shining point of the things are using all of the effects models as individual little pedals.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s a great unit either way, plug and play, or mod the hell out of it.

I agree they are good as starting points to give you an idea in getting started, how to chain them, with resulting sounds of the preset. Also being to play with the settings of each pedal in the pre set, offers both, lots of control, and a great way to learn. That’s what I love about it, and why I am keeping it instead of returning it for one pedal or pedal board or other. It’s a great all in one device with lots and lots of options, in a easy to use manner. It’s not crazy hard to figure out like the later digitech ones, like the BP80 and 90. At least to me, they are clumsy in comparison. If you figure it out, like any of them, you can have fun with lots of sound options.

That said, some people just like to plug and play, and the pre sets are certainly good enuf for that, at least a portion of them

Lol, I would have said that slightly modified.
Horse $#!t…

3 Likes

Most of them being bad is an overstatement. I’m still getting used to this thing.

I’ve been having a blast with it. Noodling around building loops and just exploring all the unexpected places it leads. I love playing covers, and really enjoy jamming to a drum track, but looping is the first time I’ve ever felt like I created my own music. But this is more about my newfound love of looper pedals in general. The zoom is really intuitive, very little time spent figuring out how to use the basic functions, it was straight to having fun exploring the sounds. Needless to say I’m very happy with it so far. It is a perfect way to explore a world of possibilities for pretty cheap. Seems very well built too. The expression pedal is the only thing I’m not sure about, some effects it seems to do better than others.

4 Likes

The looper is one feature I have not used yet, but I will for sure.

Yeah, Zoom has no idea what bass you have.
How. Any pick ups
Style of pick ups
Tone control
On board EQ
What kind of amp
Combo
Head / cab
Watts
No amp, Headphones

All the pre sets are set pretty flat, and as general as they can get them for all around compatibility.
They are not all horrible, but many may not sound great on your set up, but does on his. But they are fully customizable. General, top menu settings for volume and EQ, then you can go down and mess with the chain, and adjust each pedal, stomp off and back on, and really dial the preset to not your liking, learning about pedals and setting up chains along the way.
Most all presets are worth something. They may not be desired or useable as is, it they are designed to be tweaked, with the added bonus of being able to be plugged in and PLAYED with in 2. In flat.
Anyway, it is a great, affordable, multi processor allowing maximum customization. It’s a win win all the way around IMHO.

5 Likes

I wish I had a MacBook so I could use the sound lab ( or whatever the name of it is) program to have some added fun.

1 Like

Yeah ToneLib (linked in the OP) is awesome too.

3 Likes

I can only imagine. Wish they had an app, like TCE has for their amps and pedals.

1 Like

Thank you, this is a really good point, and something for me to keep in mind as to why some tones don’t sound good for my setup straight out of the box. Hell even just going back and forth between the two bass I’ve used on it so far, one is passive and has flats on it the other is active with rounds and the differences don’t stop there. I guess it wasn’t fair of me to expect the presets to all sound good with every different bass that is out there.
Thanks for the perspective!

4 Likes

It is great when you start creating you own chains, then saving them as presets in the 50 block.

What really helped me was to go to one I liked for starters, copy it to say #50, and edit the crap out of it. Leave it in edit while you play, and go down the line turning each effect on and off, to see what the chain is like without certain pedals “on” in the loop. Also, adjust each pedal in the chain, one at a time and see what happens. Make adjustments, with some pedals or amp / cabs off. There really are infinite possibilities.
Select the Comp pedal at front of the chain, use the left or right foot pedal, and switch it to a different Comp pedal, and adjust it, and see what happens. Do it with the Drive pedal, so on and so forth.
If you have a Mac or pc, download the software and you can da lot more.

Treat it like you have a 5 pedal chain on the floor, and a box full of other stomp boxes, amps and cabs and go crazy.

Then if you ever wasn’t pedal, you know what to get. Many top brand pedals are cloned in the Zoom. And you can get 5hose, or the cheaper copies or clones
It is pretty invaluable in that respect.

4 Likes

There is an app for the Zoom effects processor. It’s called Zoom Guitar Lab and is offered free of charge on the Zoom website.

4 Likes