A little music related fun

These crack me up. Rush always struck me as a band where the opening bands got all the groupies while Rush was in its tour van running a killer D&D campaign.

5 Likes

Ha! They were on tour with KISS in the 70s and Gene Simmons couldn’t understand why the Rush guys were back in their hotel room reading, and not hanging around with KISS and the groupies :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s fine. I still agree with the other guys. I don’t know that we’ll be around to find out who’s right, though.

1 Like

Always!! I love these guys and their sense of humour. If you haven’t already seen it you should check out Josh’s YYZ video

1 Like

This, like all else, is cyclical.
Right now the big CEO and high finance types buy them up.
I also don’t see much use for MOST of them, but, if it’s an odd unique shape or something with weird features that I like a lot, that I get. But that’s it.

Not like saxes. Vintage ones have actual positives to them. Tones and color to the tone that is devoid in modern horns all day long. Huge difference Vs an instrument that essentially rots as it ages and one can color the tone at will.
This benefit I don’t see in vintage basses.

3 Likes

I can understand the idea of a vintage instrument if it’s a particular example with a history (this P-bass was once breathed on by Sir Paul’s father’s brother’s mother’s cousin’s room mate, twice removed) or it’s part of a collection of fetish-like particularity (me, and '80s Peaveys).

Buying vintage just because “older is better” and paying multiples of what modern instruments cost is just nuts.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone is collecting vintage electric basses or guitars because “older than is better.” Older cars aren’t better than new cars, but they’re collectible as investments.

I don’t get collecting. It’s not my thing. I don’t have the interest to pursue it.

But I know there are lots of people out there who are either very savvy about what they collect, while others have more money than sense. And the latter type keep savvy collectors in big bucks, because they buy stuff from them.

2 Likes

Oh many are and I am one of them.
Just not basses.

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant to say electric guitars/basses. I’ve edited the original post to reflect this.

1 Like

Let’s go back to some “fun stuff”… probably had this one already, but it fits nicely to the previous discussion:

Also: saw the guy last Friday - awesome concert! Amazing shape he’s in, and what a stage presence! (Not my photo, but from Friday’s show!)

11 Likes

Sting is amazing. Great player, singer, songwriter and gentleman. I have fond memories of the time I got to spend with him.

10 Likes

Because Gene Simmons. That’s why :joy:

5 Likes

@MikeC You can’t say ‘the time I got spend with him (Sting).’ and not recant the tale.

7 Likes

I wrote about that a few months back. Here’s the link.

7 Likes

Thanks for the link, as I was thinking the same thing as @jonathanhaynes43 .

I guess I missed that when you posted, must have been during my absence.

Off the read now.

3 Likes

17 Likes

One would have thought there’d be a cow bell

5 Likes

It definitely needs more cowbell

5 Likes

An oldie but a goodie. :smile:

1 Like

OMG, did I do a repeat meme???

So ashamed. :frowning:

4 Likes