A little music related fun

Brian Bromberg (funk alert)

4 Likes

Hey, I’m Blind Lemon Jackson. Maybe we should form a band? (“The Jackson Blind”) :crazy_face:

6 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

good stuff. I think I heard some RT in Infectious Grooves in there, maybe he is one of RT’s influences?

4 Likes

Thats why I get cold feet…

3 Likes

Hey at least it will make you happier, until you see new thing.

4 Likes

Justin Chancellor and Danny Carey Playing Ænema for students. Sound quality is shit but it’s still cool!

You mean Robert Trujillo right. I have heard RT playing some really good funk too. I don’t know that much about his background but I think he is such an amazing bass player (well duh he plays for the biggest metal band ever). :smiley:

4 Likes

And he used to play for an even better band :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcJW6bs5os

3 Likes

Suicidal! :metal: Well that I knew haha. This brings back so much memories.

2 Likes

Robert Trujillo was in Suicidal Tendencies and in Infectious Grooves :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks Mike! I never listened that much to Infectious Grooves but apparently it has a close connection with suicidal tendencies (IG is lead by Mike Muir). I know RT also played for Ozzy Osbourne. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah IG was like half of ST :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My new bass t-shirt has arrived.

10 Likes

when suicidal put out their first album it was a momentous thing, and we waited for what seems like forever for them to come to chicago. they finally played at metro and it was crazy wall to wall packed and a million degrees hot inside. so the band comes out and does a bombastic intro that goes straight into suicide’s an alternative. and mike comes running out on stage with the plaid shirt buttoned all the way up and the big bandana headband and grabs the mike to launch into the song and everybody goes nuts. and he grabs the mic, takes 4 steps back, and trips. falls over backwards and smashes his head into the drum riser. and just lays there. and the band all get big eyes and starts looking at each other. and the whole crowd just stops and stares. and we were all like, great. he’s dead.

and then he shakes it off and pops up and starts singing. awesome.

and then they went metal and sucked.

4 Likes

Yeah, about ST first self titled album, and the obvious song, “Institutionalized”, back on Dec 31 of 1982, the year that album came out, it tied for Song of the Year on KROQ here in So Cal with The Vandals “Urban Struggle” ( "I want to be a Cowboy" in case you don’t recognize the song by its proper name).
Nearing midnight, heading into 1983, I was listening to KROQ, and they played both songs at the same time, so dubbed them onto one track. I only ever heard it the one time, so it is hard to tell if it was as cool as it seemed, but it seemed pretty freatking cool at the time.

And I have said several times on this forum that The Vandals are the band that made me want to be a bass player when I was 10 years old. And it was the song “Pirates Life” in particular that sealed that deal. therre is a break in the song with the bass playing (no singing, just bass). “Yo Ho, Yo Ho, the pirates life for me, we rape and pillage and burn the village and life is but a joy…”
The song is about dropping acid and going on the Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland.
I did borrow a bass for a time a few years later and learned (was taught) how to play that specific part. Probably played it wrong, but it was bad ass none the less.
I still listen to that album that is almost 40 years old pretty regularly and it is one of my all time favorite albums. "Peace thru Vandalism"

ST Metal, well, it is what it is, you can say the same about The Exploited, they are almost not even the same bands when they went metal, but they still made a Punk Rock mark that will stand the test of time.

2 Likes

never really a huge vandals guy. seemed like a joke at the time. i mean, bands like the dickies were also like that and i looovveee the dickies. i dunno.

2 Likes

I have never gotten into the Vandals beyond the original line up, and even the 2nd album was not what the first one was, but like ST, that first album was Stand Out, and was highly influential in early California punk rock.

1 Like

Somehow I always compared them with NOFX, I only had one album from Vandals. At that time I also listened to Pennywise, The Dwarves, Black Flag, Guttermouth, etc. like a shitload of punk really (lots of local stuff too). Eventually I went from punk to more hardcore. Good times :slight_smile:

As I sit here at my computer in one of my Dwarves shirts. I shit you not.
with a Pennywise tattoo on my left elbow, along with lots of Clown tattoos.

1 Like

How is this a bad thing? NOFX has lasted over 40 years, DIY punk rock. I have nothing but love and respect for them.

1 Like