A little music related fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wyOy3ws8cY

5 Likes

As an American, it means the older style of music, living, etc.
Say you walk into an antique store in the mid-west, or any small town away from a city, you will find lots of tid-bits of ‘Americana’. It’s not just music, essentially for me its the stuff I grew up with my grandparents telling me about. Generally, it is covered in rust now, which adds to its allure apparently.

If you pull into a small rural town here and say “wow, this is a slice of Americana”, it can mean the town is rooted (or stuck) in the past. Simpler living. Candy stores, ice cream shoppes where you can actually sit down, drive-in restaurants (all but extinct now), The Little Rascals, It’s a Wonderful Life, etc.

More modern bands might choose this ‘style’ that echo’s back to the musical roots of the country, a fiddle player or harmonica is generally expected, etc.

Old TV shows from when TV started, old radio shows, the “Camptown Races, Bill Bailey” style music.

4 Likes

Actually Americana is a subset of Country, and includes people like Bob Dylan and Roseanne Cash

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanations guys :blush:

1 Like

How does Casey Jones fit in with You are my Sunshine and Camptown Races? Is Casey Jones not a Grateful Dead song?

I mean, I guess “Driving that train high on cocaine” could be considered American, but it certainly doesn’t remind me of Leave it to Beaver… :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

Ah - OK. That makes more sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And now I know where the Good 'n Plenty commercial came from…

2 Likes

I was at the Veterans Hospital today for a follow up on my throat cancer (still cancer free), and came across a new piece of art in the lobby. I couldn’t resist the photo op.

19 Likes

Great photo, but even better that you are cancer free!
Hooooray!

10 Likes

Great news Pam! :partying_face:

10 Likes

Glad to hear! Congratulations!

8 Likes

:partying_face:

7 Likes

Great news Pam @PamPurrs ,
Keep on Rockin ,
Lucky it wasn’t a bass, could have ended up in your guitar rack with the empty spaces :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:
Cheers Brian

8 Likes

Would have gone good with that house-sized amp!

6 Likes

Exactly, what a good combo John @John_E ,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Congratulations @PamPurrs . Great news

6 Likes

Great news @PamPurrs ! Congratulations!

6 Likes

And don’t forget the acoustic guitar with only 4 or 5 strings :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

11 Likes