All Things Midi Including Controllers

From where you said you used the grand piano app.

So I understood that as you use mobile apps on your phone in your studio. That or any other device like a tablet

1 Like

I honestly don’t know how you got the impression that I use a mobile phone from that statement.

1 Like

Because people use apps in the studio and there are many grand piano apps on the app store as there are many other studio tools like this. Which help you record mobile outside the studio too if you wished.

Like a mini studio in your pocket or tablet.

Whatever…

I just don’t know where you got that impression.

1 Like

From where you said you use the grand piano app

1 Like

Im still confused. How do you equate that statement to using a mobile phone?

1 Like

Because apps are downloaded to phones and tablets allowing you to turn your phone into a studio if you wanted. You can then plug in your guitar or midi keyboard and make music on your phone.

I’ve been installing apps on computers since I built my first clone computer in 1983. That was long before smart phones were even dreamed of. Just because someone uses the term “app” does not imply they’re referring to a phone.

1 Like

Pam just check the sound output and MIDI input settings on the desktop version, and in Reaper both do that and make sure track recording is armed and monitoring enabled on the track you added the piano plugin to.

2 Likes

We refer to studio software as plugins or standalone software but mobile usually gets refereed to as apps so people know what you are refering to.
Which is where I got my confusion as to which apps you meant because the UVI stuff I tried was amazing.

1 Like

Well, excuse the hell out of me for not being politically correct. I’ll do my best to be more correct in the future.

1 Like

It’s no problem I just didn’t know what you meant and wanted to add that many apps I tried for mobile were trash too so I understand why you wouldn’t like it. They are hit and miss on phones.

Did arturia hook you up with some software? Depends on which model you got I guess. But have you tried out your new midi keyboard in Reaper yet?

Once you choose your audio/midi interface in preferences it seems you’re good to go in Reaper.

Then you pull up and synth or plugin that generates sound and see how that reacts to your midi keyboard.

1 Like

Yeah the keyboard works in Reaper, which is the most important thing. All the other silliness is secondary, but it would be nice to get it all working.

1 Like

Generally to work through problems like this with instruments in the DAW, start asking yourself these questions:

Did you add the track using the “new virtual instrument track” menu item? Does the plugin get MIDI inputs? Is the track armed for recording with monitoring enabled? Are the track audio outputs routed correctly? Are there any additional settings in the plugin for audio out?

2 Likes

Make a new track by inserting a synth or a piano plugin. If you already chose your midi device in preferences before hand then it should work seamlessly.

If you haven’t installed the new arturia software then install that, relaunch reaper and it should auto scan and sort it for you.

You are correct sir. Limitations are mainly different workflows.

1 Like

@PamPurrs, based on reading this thread, I want to thank you for showing me that I not only will never buy a midi controller keyboard, but will never try to hook my Yamaha digital piano with MIDI output MIDI outputs to ANYTHING! Too complex for me.

You have saved me countless hours of frustration. Thank you.

2 Likes

I relate it to learning to play Bass.
You can do it, if you want to, but it will take time.

I prefer the term Midi Controller as opposed to Midi keyboard for this type of DAW input.
The fact it looks like a piano keyboard is irrelevant and seems to give the wrong impression of it’s function to a lot of people. Midi controllers just send messages to the DAW to control functions and virtual instruments within it.

Kenny Gioia has some great instructional videos on the Reaper website at https://www.reaper.fm/

The only issue I have had was when the controller does not see the path for the virtual instrument you want to control. A lot of the times the installation instructions for virtual instruments are not very clear.

The key is patience and time.

Here is a link to a video that may be of interest to some.

1 Like

I guess it’s a matter of perspective. I look at it as a piano that just happens to have some extra bells and whistles. Yes, I can make it sound like an organ or a bass guitar, or a saxophone, or whatever; but it’s still a keyboard to me and I spend a lot of time on it just playing piano tunes. In my book, the knobs, buttons, and sliders might be viewed as irrelevant, not the piano keyboard.

If you’re able to play your Yammy keyboard without connecting it to a computer and you enjoy playing it, I’d leave it that way. However, if you have to hook up to a computer to play it, it’s still enjoyable to play. It’s only when you get into all those bells and whistles that it becomes a challenge, but at the end of the day, it’s still fun.