All Things Midi Including Controllers

Never say never @John_E
Look at @PamPurrs she is on her third one in the last 2 months :slightly_smiling_face:

Are your Midi outputs on the digital piano Din or USB?

Back when Midi first became a thing, that would be before man discovered fire, Midi was a real PITA at times to hook up. Now with the USB connection things are a lot simpler, as far as getting connected. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a Yamaha PortaSound PSS-680 that I purchase back in the 1980s.
It has the old Midi In, Out and Thru round. 5 pin DIn output connectors on it for Midi.

I considered getting an adapter cable to go from DIN to USB, they are about $30, but when I was offered a new, 4 octave, stand alone controller for $100 I chose to go that route.

For home studio EDM (Electronic Dance Music) production they are great. I also find that a lot of things in music theory are easier to understand because you have a more visual representation of note layouts.

2 Likes

I said keyboard as I have two midi controller footswitches that do different things and an electronic sax midi controller that is an electronic sax as well as midi controller, so the term keyboard was used for a reason. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

1 Like

It has both. It’s a Yamaha PS-45

I tried to run Reaper now with all the devices I have connected on, and everything worked like a charm. :confused:

Just a note, if you have some issues with Virtual instruments and their playback, you have to check both the Input and Output of the device and enable Input/Output from the device.
As most USB MIDI Controllers are class compliant, they somehow work as Plug’N’Play, but without setting up the communication it doesn’t always route from default to input channel for instruments.

3 Likes

I have multiple MIDI disorder

3 Likes

USB was not an option in the beginning.

With a USB connector all you need is a a cable Typically USB (B) on the keyboard to USB (A) on the computer. A lot of printer cables have this configuration so you might already have a cable to connect if you ever want to try Midi out. So your initial cost would be $0.

By the way, don’t get the idea I am trying to talk you into trying Midi.
You have already seen how involved and time consuming it can be. :rofl:

:joy: :joy: :joy:

LOL, just found a KeyLab Essential 49 for ~$90. Looks like I’ll be selling the Alesis (which was great but I want more knobs and sliders dammit :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

+1, like I said above - one of the first things to check, on both the device and the instrument routing.

I am installing UVI UltraMini now and will see, if I will be able to make it work in Reaper with Essential.

1 Like

Oh I’ve connected it before way before my bass days, downloaded the drivers etc and set up all the MIDI, etc……then I picked up my sax and just kept playing it.

1 Like

Where I had issues at first was the paths in the VST section of the preferences.
Sometimes the virtual instrument installer would put it on an existing path and sometime it wouldn’t.

I haven’t had a problem getting instruments to work with Reaper and any of the keyboards I’ve had. It’s been pretty much plug n play. It’s all the other stuff that’s been giving me fits.

1 Like

Ok, UVI UltraMini. Installed, inserted as VST3 version to a track, arming the track and playing Essential worked right from the get go without any issue.

I am sorry, Pam, but it seems really that you are simply missing some little tickbox or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Now why doesn’t that surprise me :rofl:

1 Like

Yep. Something isn’t configured correctly. I am betting it is outside the SAW as the standalone app isn’t working correctly for her either.

I am betting it’s either the midi input settings or the audio out settings for the UVI Model D. I am also guessing the UVI Model D “app” is actually UVI Workstation but I am not 100% sure on that :slight_smile:

TBH I have always wanted one, just never saw one come up at such a good price. Essential is perfect too as I don’t have room for a Mk II.

“VI Model D “app” is actually UVI Workstation” … yep, as I understand UVI software, everything is built on their proprietary sample engine (UVI workstation) in the same way as Sampletank, Kontakt, etc.

1 Like

That’s the way.
It ain’t going anywhere and if you want to go back to it later it will still be there.

Sorta like the fast workout for Billie Jean in the B2B course :rofl:

Yeah everything but Falcon, I think.