Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

I would definitely recommend trying as many as possible before buying. A P-bass will feel very different than most Yamaha basses (I greatly prefer Yamahas FWIW, others the opposite). Even a J will be thicker and more heavy feeling compared to many Yamaha and Ibanez basses.

2 Likes

Thanks howard​:metal:. I will try as many as i can but I think the search for the perfect bass is part of the journey :grinning:. It is also difficult as a lot of stores only carry a select number of instruments and 2020 has probably made it harder for retailers as well.

2 Likes

Try Schecter. Surprised the hell out of me.

2 Likes

Years ago when I was working in a pawn shop, we had a Rickenbacker 4003 for something in the $600 range that sold quickly. Wasn’t really interested in bass guitars, but now that I’m fixing to start, I regret not buying it, because with my discount I could’ve had it for $450.

That being said, if I stick to playing the bass, my next bass is probably going to be a Squier P-Bass variant or something like that. I’ve had a lot of luck with Squier guitars over the years.

Heck I might upgrade the Yamaha RBX I already have. I only have $35 invested in it, so upgrading the components is basically free money anyway. xD

4 Likes

Here are a couple of classics @Sp33dSnakr,
I recently sold the black one to @Mac, he loves it, recently pimped it to suit his love of Lemmy👍
They are an awesome bass.
Cheers Brian

9 Likes

Personally I’m itching to try one of those Sire Jazz basses and see if they’re as exciting as many have said.

Haha yes, I’m also interested in they live up to the hype. I really like the look of this one.

Oh and sometimes I think about grabbing one of those short-scale Fender Mustangs… so purdy.

I considered a short scale but I’m still learning and want to learn on a normal size bass.

I’ve got a few basses on the bucket list.
I have my eye on a Glarry P bass, (for a different tone, and maybe because "What could I lose? Less than a hundred bucks? ") :joy:
I’ve also got my wishful eye on a Dingwall Combustion in that beautiful aqua-blue color

Then obviously I dream about having a Jens Ritter bass but that’s never going to happen. Those things are like 10k! Anyway, that’s it for now. :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

@Vegaswizzle That’s a beauty! How do you tune it?

1 Like

Is that an acoustic g**tar? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Probably with those knobs at the bottom of the bridge saddles :wink:

1 Like

Dingwalls are amazing and Combustions are not too ridiculously expensive. You can find them used for under $2k pretty easily.

3 Likes

For the newer Buzzers in here - it seems to take about 2 years or so before you start talking about 2K basses as

:joy: :laughing: :wink:

9 Likes

Haha so true.

3 Likes

So…I’m weird about expensive basses. Pickups, new strings, preamps, pedals and amps all have a huge affect on shaping your tone. For me, how the bass feels and how easy it is for YOU to play it is more important. I’d honestly invest in pedals, amp and cabs before I’d go for something like a $1,000+ bass. It will affect your tone more.

3 Likes

Hi @Glitch,
Yes it is, and here is a pic of my Mustang👍
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Yeah, agree, not to derail the “sexy bass” thread but this is why I own one (versatile) $600 bass and am completely happy with it. I’m still trying to sell my second bass because I just never play it.

I went pretty deep into pedals but I am selling them all now too, in favor of DAW plugins. I am almost all software now and much happier. Haven’t owned an amp in over a year.

Then again, my interests are entirely home studio recording and music production, and I really have no desire to play live or in a band locally these days. My bandmates and the people I still do music with are on different continents. So, I’m weird; YMMV :slight_smile:

It’s funny because I was just reading an excellent Splice post about this:

and this quote is exactly where I am at:

At this point, the digital plugins have reached a level of quality that rivals the analog pedals themselves. Palermo shared an anecdote about his collaborator Nick Bassett (formerly of Deafheaven, Whirr, and Nothing) buying up thousands of dollars of vintage equipment in order to get hyper-specific tones, and then selling it all two years later because the plugins sounded better.

I like my amp sims better than any amp I would ever reasonably be able to afford. Same goes for the cab sims. And the effects you can get for a pretty minimal amount of money (many even free) rival or exceed the expensive ones I had bought for my board.

It’s even more extreme for synths; software synthesizers far exceed the capability and especially the usability of hardware synths these days for anywhere near the same amount of money, unless you’re really looking for some boutique analog sound.

2 Likes

Studio we are going that way. You can also DI through some line 6 or Headrush stuff and a PA system and get pretty close in a live setup. Haven’t personally heard how that sounds…so I’m not sure how good that route is. Our guitarist just dropped $4k on a Mesa Guitar amp/cab…and it does sound amazing. I have a Kustom KXB500 which is an amazing amp for the cost, but thinking of going headrush or a Darkglass microtubes 500…ehh it’s so much to juggle lol!

2 Likes

It turns out you can get far cheaper PA’s in the same power range than the (already reasonable) Headrush FRFR’s. Those do look great though.

That’s probably the route I would actually go if I were to play live - but that’s only because I would be putting more through it than just bass, so everything into a mixer into a PA makes more sense for me than a dedicated bass amp would. But I haven’t really put any thought in to it as I have no plans to play live again anytime soon (if ever). It was fun back in the day but just not my thing now.

The Darkglass amps look like actually reasonable buys if you factor in that you’re getting 1-2 of their pedals built in to each amp. And I love their stuff. But really, getting clued in to NeuralDSP’s Darkglass plugin is what let me to finally sell off my pedalboard. Might have made a slight profit selling my Microtubes X :slight_smile:

1 Like

I may have to try the home studio stuff and get plugins. Can you apply plugins actively while playing or only post recording?

1 Like

You can apply them live and hear them via the monitor out of a track in a DAW, and many also have standalone apps to play through as well (though less useful as you only hear that one plugin). However latency is an issue when you do this so it can be kind of annoying, depending on your audio interface, software, and computer. I mostly just use them in post and listen to my clean bass through monitors while playing. I use my DAI for both input and output, so I run both the DAW output and my clean bass through the same monitors at the same time.

There’s also plugin host apps that can load multiple VST’s and build chains for this.

Schecter Stiletto Custom 4.

7 Likes