Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Just wondering if there is any love for these (Ibanez SRH500)? I like the idea of a 24 fret semi-acoustic but there seems to be very few YouTube videos featuring it (more videos for the fretless version strangley enough). Perhaps the idea of a mellow jazz plucker doesn’t appeal to too many people

7 Likes

Ooh. That looks very interesting.

1 Like

@chris6 that looks stunning. Does it have some sort of internal pickup or microphone or something?

1 Like

a piezo bridge very probably

1 Like

Yes, I think Terb is correct, an under saddle piezo. There is some discussion about them on Basstalk and people recommend using an Acoustic preamp like the TC Bodyrez which can almost make them sound like an upright double bass (even more so with the fretless obviously)

2 Likes

To my mind the price makes them all the more interesting. Not sure stateside But in the UK they are less than £600

2 Likes

I have been looking closely at this for a while. the only thing I don’t necessarily like is a place to anchor your thumb. @jonwaldm has one and loves it.

3 Likes

Pick :slight_smile:

Seriously, hollow body, will sound amazing with a pick.

3 Likes

a pick only fretless. I’ve been meaning to practice pick more. hmm :thinking:

2 Likes

piezo pickups have their own sound, I’m not a big fan. but I can understand that some folks may like this. anyway, it’s really different than magnetic pickups.

1 Like

Once I get through this course and get good at playing Bass, I’m eyeballing the PLAYER MUSTANG® BASS PJ in Firemist Gold (unless they come out with a purple one!)

11 Likes

I have a Mustang PJ in Buttercream. It’s my #1 bass and the one I play at church every Sunday. It sounds great and I love the way it feels in my hands.

3 Likes

This was on my hot list for awhile and may still be. I downgraded it when @terb said he didn’t like the piezo sound once before. I thought the demo video on Sweetwater sounded like it went in the direction of an upright. I think the only reason I turned my attention away from this one was wanting to investigate an acoustic with the Fishman hybrid magnetic/mic pickup or a fuller hollowbody like the Gretsch. I still like the idea of this one though.

3 Likes

Oooh! Lucky Man!!! :slight_smile: I’m partial to Short Scale Basses, and this model looks like it would be awesome to play! My goal is to get one once I can play Bass well. It’s the reward at the end of the accomplished goal! Lol! :laughing:

3 Likes

I discovered my preference for short scales after going through a few long scale basses. I got my Mustang as a change of pace/backup for my Epiphone EB-0. Then when I got it I couldn’t put it down. :grin: So I modded it and made it my #1.

8 Likes

Here ya go @Micki_Moss,
A little eye candy for ya,
My 74 mustang next to the 74 J_bass,
Cheers Brian

9 Likes

Whoa . . . those are some real classics, Brian @TNKA36 . . . :star_struck:

(I’m still kicking myself for selling my '78 Jazz decades ago)

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Hi Joe, @Jazzbass19,
even though i don’t play either, i would never sell them, they are great eye candy.
I did do a cover with the Mustang, cant remember what song it was :thinking:
And the J-Bass weighs a ton, i bought it about 20 years ago from Voltage Guitars, they had a shop on Sunset in LA, i think Lloyd only has an online shop now :thinking:
Cheers Brian.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m drooling now! :rofl: Niiiiiiiiice! :smile:

3 Likes

Gorgeous! I love the light green pick guard with the Buttercream body! Very cool! :smile:

5 Likes