Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Goodness i was looking at these this morning!!! Can’t find one locally to try out, beauties.

Yeah, I never met a Gibson or Epiphone I have ever really liked to play, bass or guitar. it starts with that horrible wrap around bridge that I can’t stand.

But year, they are often very attractive instruments. Not much of a t-bird fan myself, but even in some finishes they look nice.

Looking to get a fretless bass, as I love the sound. There’s no stock till summer it sounds like and I’m kinda torn between these two. The Fender American professional II Jazz bass

And the Tony Franklin Signature Precision bass
TF bass
The Tony Franklin bass is $550 more and has a drop D tuner and I love how the headstock is the same color as the guitar.
I’ve been saving my pennies. I’m leaning toward the Fender jazz bass but might hold out for the TF.

10 Likes

Both great basses. I learned bass originally on an American Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass about 20 years ago and loved that bass. Having the fretlines definitely helps.

The P vs J question is one for the ages, but either is a great choice.

3 Likes

I play only short-scale bass guitars 30" scale. I would love a Spector Bantam. But don’t like the 1.65 width at the nut. I would perfer 1.5 at the nut. But do love the sound of those Spector Basses.

1 Like

Mustang still didnt arrive, but my GAS is kicking in.

@T_dub might like this.

Its custom shop creation from DaVinci guitars, and expensive af to order but its sold for around 350$ used, I guess the guy needs money, and buying power at my place is no good. Too bad I spent myself on new amp and Mustang.

6 Likes

I actually got a Vox Starstream short scale for 450.00 on Reverb. Was going to get the humbucker one but I don’t have a Jazz configuration pick up bass so I pulled the trigger on it. The hardware and electronics alone is about 450. And has a crazy :crazy_face:design. Usually they go for over 1500.00 bucks.

3 Likes

I actually did a review on talkbass under vox starstream. For 450 I think I got a deal but if I would have paid full price I would have not been happy since I had to make mods on it. Nothing major but sometimes I would have been disappointed for 1500 plus. Over all, great sounding bass light weight with a very powerful preamp. Sound great passive too. If they still had the single humbucker for 450.00 I would have probably bought it too.

3 Likes

So I got to try one of these and honestly did not like it at all. That said, I have also been trying some vintage hollow bodies (bad move, haha) but learned a lot. I have a ‘goal bass’ of a vintage VOX Sidewinder in mint condition, but that will take a LOT of savings to get to and patience.

3 Likes

The Nordstand Acinonxy or cat bass is the one I’m looking to get next. If spector come out with short bass with 1.5" at nut would be the winner.

3 Likes

That looks sick.
It is looks like a copy of a Sterling by MusicMan rather than a Stingray, but that does not mean its not a bad ass looking bass. I would love to give it a play, I love neck thru construction. $350, I would snatch it, I just sold my Sterling Ray 4HH for $350 today, Hmmm…

Paint and pickgurad are great, it is pretty punk rock.
Thanks, i appreciate the visual stimulation it gave me.

4 Likes

I’m looking for a great used 5 strings for few months and this just pop out on the market place for 500€… I’m seriously thinking about it… I’m not particularly hyper fan of the color but it still nice…

7 Likes

This seems pretty ace for £420 ($580 USD) (€500 EUR)

5 Likes

I love stingrays, I just don’t like the shape of the pickguard. You can get pickguard conversions that have a 2 pc one for scratch plate and the other for cover plate, so they look like a Stingray should IMO, and if you don’t like the color, thats an option to change to something that you like better with the bass body color. They are not that costly, $60 or less, usually the nicer ones are less and often custom or handmade. I see cool ones out of wood and leather and stuff like that on Reverb.
IDK the conversion, but they go for up to about $900.
That one is at least made before 2018, but could be as early as 2008 I think, if not 2010.
need an S/N to know for sure.

1 Like

Hi @T_dub,

Funny because I like this pickguard shape more than a classical one :slight_smile:
Regarding the conversion, 500€ is 590 USD. So yes it’s not that much expensive!
Are the model before 2018 as good as the post 2018? I think it’s a 2013 (but the picture with the S/N is absolutely not clear…). I would not buy a bass which is not great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They are great. the reason I know it is pre 2018 is because it doesn’t have a roasted maple neck and more noticeable is the sure give away, it still says Ray35 on the headstock after Stingray. they removed all but the Stingray after 2018, or for 2018 rather.

4 Likes

That Cort is nice looking Bass. Like that transparent red color. Sounds good in video too.

3 Likes

This

A Fender Custom Shop 1957 Precision Bass

But first I want to play at badass level!

8 Likes

I started doing searches a while back for the big guitar building factorys in asia and indo, and I was reading alot about CORT, and how horrible they are to workers, and they were getting alot of hate. Not sure if they had any legal stuff from it, and I don’t even recall any specifics, but it was enough to turn me off CORT basses.

How do you NOT buy CORT basses? Especially when they make more basses then you even know about? The only way I know how is to NOT BUY their brand, CORT.

EDIT: I don’t mean to direct that statement to @BigAl, I am making a general statement, he just happened to be the last person to post about the CORT, and It reminded me at the time.

3 Likes

I am not trying to start any political or big debate.
just giving some info and my opinion

2 Likes