Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

That is awesome, way to get one off the bucket list.
I do have 1/2 my bucket list bass (one of them) off my list in my EBMM Stingray Slo Special. I just have that one EBMM Stingray in Translucent Orange with all black hardware and that tiger striped burnt and roasted maple neck.
I could still consider an EBMM off my list if it really came down to it however.

Can’t wait for the pics you upload after receipt.

4 Likes

Well, that was the bucket list, Toby . . . good luck with yours, and thanks!

Should be here later this week.

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Time for a new bucket list!

4 Likes

i have a dream that someday they will offer the striped roasted necks as an option on any bass.

like i said, it’s a dream.

3 Likes

I believe I may have seen you there

2 Likes

This is the one I like, BB34 in midnight blue.

Alternatively. I have wondered about a BB434 and installing EMG Geezer Butler pickups

6 Likes

yeah, the 434 has different pickups than the 734A and BBP34. They are still alnico, but I am not sure what the difference is. Yamaha makes excellent pickups in general so they may be fine as is. The 734A pups are great.

3 Likes

Thats my first choice for when I get a P

4 Likes

Well it is not easy to drop 1000€ on something when you are not sure how deep you are going to go with your new “hobby”

And there are a lot of marketing traps on the way. BB434 and the BBP34 looks almost the same even on the spec sheet while one is 5 times more expensive than the other. So you wonder of you’d get satisfied with the BB434 for now and just upgrade the pickups down the way.

American performer is a beauty but again costs 3 times of bb434 and looking at the 45 degree body through bridge. 6 bolts neck and other improvements I ask myself just why? Just why fender can get away with these prices?

5 Likes

It’s a good question. Honestly the midrange Yamahas like the BB434 and BB734A can stand up with the MIJ and MIA Fenders easily, quality-wise, at about half the cost.

The BBP34 is an odd duck. There’s certainly some sentiment that the BB734A is the actual top of the line; the BBP is MIJ, but feature-wise the major addition you get with the BBP is the heat treatment, but you lose the active option. This is why you see someone like Jack Bates recording and touring with eight BB734A’s (some custom), and not BBP’s.

Of course the BB734A isn’t really cheap either; they run about $750-900 retail.

The real reason to buy the BBP is to get that midnight blue :slight_smile:

6 Likes

viddy:

Sorry MIA Fender. You sounded great but didn’t really bring anything to this showdown that the Yamaha didn’t do as well or better.

One interesting thing I didn’t expect was for the Yamaha bridge pickup to be so much better than the Fender one. It’s the weakest link on the bass.

4 Likes

Yeah, but fender pick ups are kind of crap.

3 Likes

Expensive crap! :slight_smile:

The MIA J pickup certainly lost big time in this one, yeah. Like less than half as good, to my ear. And the J on the BB is the weakest link on the bass IMO. Not bad but not stellar like the rest.

The P’s were much closer.

2 Likes

Neither of them hold up for me, compared to the bridge pick I am used to :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah nothing is gonna squish that MM, as far as bridge pickups go.

2 Likes

Are you thinking of swapping your bridge pick up eventually?, or are you satisfied with them together?

2 Likes

I’m not getting much noise after all! Less than with my Warwick anyway. Which is not surprising.

2 Likes

What do you mean with noise exactly?

2 Likes

Electrical interference noise. Pretty common on lone single coil pickups like P/J’s have. In my case the source is my PC; if my PC is on, and I get close and point the bass at it, it gets some noise. Humbuckers almost totally kill it, a lone P kills it pretty well, and a J/J is fine because the pickups cancel. But it was noticeable with my P/J Rockbass, or my J/J Rockbass if I rolled one of the pickups off.

It’s there to a lesser extent on my BB734A but not nearly as bad. Easily manageable.

3 Likes

there are noiseless J pickups if needed (stacked coils) :slight_smile:

4 Likes