Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Thats kind of what I would have thought the BB734 would have

3 Likes

Thanks. I was just wondering. Because my bass is usually next to my amp and pedalboard which gives some electrical interference. But to my surprise my active P/J Warwick (MIG) is almost dead silent compared to my active J/J Bass. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, Yamaha just went straight single coil with it. No big deal for me though as it’s not noisy on mine.

3 Likes

Here is a comparison

In passive mode I couldn’t hear any difference at all…

I am really digging that neck though… Is there any other functional difference between bb434 and bb734?

2 Likes
  • BB734A is active/passive; BB434 (and BBP34) is passive only.
  • BB434 is Alder body; BB734A (and BBP34) is an Alder outer body with a Maple core.
  • Slightly different pickups (BB734A and BBP34 are the same)
  • Different bridge (BB734A and BBP34 are brass with a steel plate, BB434 is all steel)
  • Nicer gig bag
3 Likes

Oh it comes with a gig bag? Do you have a pic?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s actually a very nice one:

4 Likes

Ah darn, looks the same category with my Gator Gig Bag!

2 Likes

How about this one? Where does it stay on the food chain?

5 Likes

Yesterday finally the music shops opened here in Italy after a 2 months break! And I went to check out especially BB434M and whatever else I could get my hands on…

Sadly I did not enjoy so much the BB434M it felt like it was super serialized (as in production) as if no hands were touching it during production… They convinced me that BB734A has only a little more to offer on top of this in build quality and in any case due to really low circulation of Yamaha Basses in Italy they cannot put one in display…

However I had a chance to play with this one

It looks and feels gorgeous. The neck is super original precision so it is feels like a lot to “wrap my hands around” but the sound was so frickking clear (In respect to my . The upper registers especially were ringing amazingly pure like listening to a vintage studio release through a top end HI-FI system. I tried it on the same model/make AMP that I have home (Markbass CMD121P)…

My good friend suggested that, this extra clarity of notes might be due to the ambient as well. Since I tried it in the open space of the music shop while at home the AMP is still sitting under my desk…

Any ideas on this BASS? Any defects that I should pay attention to? Does it come with a case?

10 Likes

Looks like a winner. Life the color and the gold !!

If it sounds good to you and looks good to you…

Where in Italy are you? I spend a lot of time in Parma (pre pandemic) for work. Miss Italy, especially the food!!

7 Likes

I am near Milan. But originally I am from Turkey. The food here is really something special but no match for Turkish cuisine I must say…

6 Likes

That is a really cool P-bass.
Normally I hate gold on basses, especially gold hardware, but it goes really good with that body color. i think it is a really good looking bass.
I see it has regular chrome hardware, so maybe thats why it still looks cool. :smile:

4 Likes

Bummer! But yeah this is why it’s important to go play them in shops before deciding :slight_smile:

FWIW I don’t get the same sense at all with my 734A but mileage definitely varies. My 734A was also my favorite out of all of them I tried. It’s weird but different basses of the same line do feel different.

5 Likes

@T_dub

I have a Zoom B1X Four on order.

Can you please tell me which type of usb connector is on the Zoom body so I can purchase a cable to connect it to my computer, before the Zoom arrives?

Also would you connect the Zoom ahead of the preamp on the amp or in the effects loop, assuming the amp has an FX loop, which my Rumble 100 does?

2 Likes

Ummm. I don’t think you can connect the Zoom B1x-four straight to the computer, you would need to run it thru a DAI.
Some of the older models of the Zoom processors had full DAI capability, and that was a gripe by many, that they removed this feature in the Zoom B1-four.

It is really hard to state exactly where to place it, it depends if you plan to use pre-sets, or go in Stomp mode and use it for individual effects, or a couple you place in the order you like.

You could place it after the Pre-Amp, and get the Pre-Amp sounding like the way you like it, and then place the Zoom in line, so you can use compressors, or modulation effects.
My biggest complaint with the Zoom effects, as was @howard IIRC, is the lack of really good dirt. The Overdrives and Distortion and Fuzz pedal models in it are not great. you can make them work, but they are just not as good as some real dirt pedals. Modulation is great, Fuzz is best of the dirt, the Amp and Cab sims are great, and it really is a great little toy, but it is not the one you want to use on your computer, that I am aware of. It may be, but I never tried it because I was under the impression it was not capable to act as a DI.
The best part about the Zoom is you can play with effects and make your own chains and see what you like and how you like them ordered. you can make a chain, then start changing the order and finding what you like.
It is a great way to learn about effects in general, and how to build pedal boards, if ever you take that plunge.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, the USB for power purposes, is the USB MINI. That will allow you to use the Sound Lab, or whatever it is called

1 Like

why oh why…why…dern gas…!!! :guitar: :roll_eyes: It will be here coming Monday…

9 Likes

I’ve got my B1 Four right in front of me and it takes a USB micro input.

The unit can be powered from the USB, an AC adapter, or onboard batteries (4 AA). It is turned on by plugging something into the input jack, and if you forget to unplug it it will eat the batteries in amazingly little time.

When I had the USB connected to my laptop that was also my source for backing tracks (laptop headphone output into aux input on the amp) it created some sort of ground loop and I got a nasty hum.

Using an AC adapter solved this problem. The Zoom AC adapter is overpriced ($20 USD) but this one from D’Addario works just fine.

D’Addario Accessories PW-CT-9V DC Power Adapter

4 Likes

I wonder if feeding the headphone output into the aux input on the B1four would have helped the hum… Did you happen to try that?

1 Like