Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

To be honest, at the time I didn’t realize that the B1Four even had an aux input - don’t know how I missed it; it’s right next to the AC power input - so no, I didn’t try that.

Now I have the B1Four on an effects loop on a Behringer UMC204HD DIA and don’t even use an amp for practice.

2 Likes

As @spidey9 already mentioned, it’s a USB micro port, not a mini. Just thought I’d confirm that; wouldn’t want @Celticstar to buy the wrong cable.

The USB port can be used for two purposes: to power the Zoom, either from a computer or from a USB power adapter, and to connect the Zoom to a computer so you can manage the effects on it using software such as ToneLib. It does not work as a DAI, unfortunately.

4 Likes

@spidey9

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
Great I already have a USB micro cable.
The micro and mini are so close in appearance it is hard to tell one from the other.
I hope they are finished coming up with different versions of USB connectors.

The Zoom B1x Four will be here by monday.

That is also my main plan for usage at the moment and the AC adapter is not an issue as I already have one with a negative center contact.

Again thank you.

3 Likes

Ok, on my Zoom MS-60B it is the usb mini. I remember having to buy a separate cable to update it, and load more effects. I upgraded both the MS-60B and B1-Four at the same time.
I don’t remember them using different connections, but that doesn’t mean much, my brain is fried sometimes.
Glad there were some people to come up with the right connection.

3 Likes

@Mike_NL

Thank you for confirming this for me.

I knew that and guess you cannot have everything at that price point.
I already have a DAI that I use on my Les Paul. I just hope to hell I do not need a Bass specific DAI :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I don’t see why you would.

4 Likes

Nope, don’t need a bass specific DAI. There could be an issue with active Basses in some low budget DAI’s, but you can probably get them to work ok if you back off the gain, so it doesn’t clip

3 Likes

@Mike_NL

One thing that has surprised me since I started this Bass journey 2 months ago is equipment that is Bass specific.

For instance amplifiers. I already have an acoustic amp, and three electric guitar amps. My old reliable clip on headstock tuner is intermittent on the Bass so I got a new inline. Finally I noticed that there are Acoustic, Electric guitar and Bass versions of the Zoom multi-effect pedal.

What would happen if I ran my Les Paul or Stratocaster through the Zoom B1x Four into my Cube electric guitar amp? Would I damage anything or just get crappier sound.

I realize the main reason is the lower frequencies involved in Bass but I wonder what other equipment this will affect such as my Boss Blues Driver pedal or especially my RC 30 loop station pedal.

3 Likes

No, you can run guitar pedals on Bass, but often lose alot of the low end.
You are probably going to be more successful running guitar thru bass stuff, then a bass thru guitar stuff, however you may lose some top end for guitar leads and such, if thru bass specific pedals / amps
As long as you set things up properly and follow max watts, and ohms, and things like that, you will be ok whether its an electric guitar or bass, or electric / acoustic guitar or bass.

You may not like the results, on the other hand, you may love it.

4 Likes

Also, I beleive the first Marshall amps were being designed, In the US, as a bass amp. It was taken to England, and somebody like Eric Clapton, or Jimmy Paige, or some now famous guitar legend got ahold of it, and they changed it to a guitar amp.

I am not 100% about all the specifics, and may be wrong, but I believe it went down something like that.

Just more proof you should not be afraid to try new unorthodox things, and see what you like. Always follow safety and power restriction guidelines, but beyond that, have a blast.

3 Likes

Hmm, I was on a lookout for Stingray-ish cheap basses.
GAS kicking in.

4 Likes

Yeah, that color is pretty damn cool. I am not much for black basses, but that finish is hard to argue with.
Plus that price, hard to pass up (unless you have a bunch or stingrays already)

Plus, it gets good reviews.
Go Fer It!!!

And is upgradeable.

2 Likes

Yeah, I dont like black finishes on basses either, but this one looks special.
And I dont have any stingray bass, I tried my cousins one and I fell in love with it.
Oh yeah I’ll probably pull the trigger, however 6-12 weeks till restock so I’ll wait, maybe I’ll pull the trigger on the custom shop StingRay I posted before in the meanwhile. It still hasnt sold so I believe I can get even better price for it.

2 Likes

Purdy

2 Likes

Matte Black is the fad these days and looks awesome.

I decided against it for my BB because it turns out eventualy many matte finishes often scuff with skin oil and become smooth and shiny in spots, and you can’t fix it.

But it was a close choice because the matte black looks seriously great when new.

3 Likes

That thing is still available? Man, that is a great price too, I would be all over it if I was shopping right now.

2 Likes

I much prefer this to actual the whole artificial relic thing.
My Ray 4 gets that a little where my plucking arm is resting on it, but it just adds a little character.

2 Likes

Oh yeah big time. Real wear and tear > artificial wear and tear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Celticstar that unit comes with a USB adapter in the box. It’s a pretty short cable so I ran it to my Mac sitting on my desk and experienced the exact same hum as @spidey9.

I bought a 500ma adapter with a centre negative power supply. Basically the same adaptor you’ve seen for every pedal you’ve ever used. As long as it’s rated for 500ma you’re gold.

The problem went away. I’m using it right now jamming over the built in drum machine whilst watching YouTube.

3 Likes

Thats about all I watch anymore.

1 Like