Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Oh nice. Thanks! Seems I already watched a few of them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Bass Channel was never one of my faves - not bad but not up there with Gregor.

Whatever happened to their preamp shootout?

3 Likes

They are a bit ‘all over the place’.
And for a good while, everything was great, afraid to review things they don’t like since they sell things.

They also keep changing hosts, which is good cause most of them are annoying, but bad cause I don’t connect and trust someone. I’ve put them aside too.

Quite frankly input here is better than the Bass Channel.

2 Likes

I was always under the belief that the seemingly heavily disguised bassist in the hat and beard (Rene Fl-somethingorother) in Bass the world was Gregor in disguise.
I enjoy their reviews, but the bassist isn’t really adding to the review much. I would prefer it if it reflected the review in some way, such as showing the chordal capabilities of a 6 string while Gregor is telling his experience with playing chords. It looks more like an exercise in the bassist showing his chops than anything else, which isn’t really very useful.

For the topic question, no sexy basses in the pipeline as the few ones I have do their job just fine.

1 Like

Funny, I literally just checked the site on Sunday to see if they’d posted any further rounds. But there’s still just the initial 5 where they mentioned they were experiencing supply chain problems in sourcing the preamps.

3 Likes

The problem with bass-themed channels on YT is that once they’ve been around long enough, sooner or later they get tempted to do sponshorships or sponsored “reviews” (i.e. Company X has just sent me this bass for review and I’m going to give you an HONEST and THOROUGH review). Invariably, of course, they follow the same pattern. They extoll the virtues of the bass, but just to pretend the review is honest, they find one or two minor and relatively unimportant quibbles. Rumblin’ Man and Bully Thakidd come to mind with their Glarry reviews.

This is why I prefer Lobster and Rodney McG’s channels. At least you get to hear an opinion, rather than a pitch. That said, cum grano salis, as with everything off of the interwebs. They could be wrong, and they could be making a more subtle pitch on behalf of someone.

I mean, I probably wouldn’t base a tool purchasing decision solely on AvE’s BOLTR videos, but I would certainly trust them more than someone like WankerWRANGLEstar who’s a total shill.

2 Likes

Not trying to start a war here, but……

Could not agree more.
And I respect that my opinion may differ on some basses. It is in those differences that most is learned, IMO.

3 Likes

seeing as how i am the biggest bongo fanatic there is i always want to go postal when i hear this (which isn’t a slam on you barney, every time a bongo is mentioned there are 2 billion posts in a row about toilet seats). to each their own, but i have never understood the criticism. there are tons of basses with almost the same rounded shape. look it’s a toilet seat!

gibson

5 Likes

@itsratso You won’t upset me my friend. Wouldn’t it boring if we all liked the same thing?
Groove Armada would agree.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OOI-zEwjdEQ

2 Likes

Why would you care about other people opinions. Taste is so subjective. Everyone knows the Bongo is unique but way too expensive to be used as a toilet seat.

2 Likes

ahh, it doesn’t ruin my day or anything. it’s just more of a “why don’t you say this about…” thing :rofl:

2 Likes

I dunno, if I had my choice id rather have a bass that doubles as a toilet seat vs. this…I can wash myself pretty well at this point.

2 Likes

:joy: looks like a Transformer toilet seat

1 Like

It says something about a society that feels like there is a ‘need’ for a remote that controls the thing your a$$ is on!

4 Likes

I asked on their YouTube channel if they intended to start doing them again and no body responded.

@itsratso I think the Bongo is pretty cool with an interesting history.

I almost said, “…with an interesting history behind it.” But that seemed like giving the haters too much fuel.

1 Like

Actually the latest review about the Walrus Audio Eras was a lot better. They do listen to feedback.

2 Likes

hooky bass vi is sexy as hell, but just got a ngd :wink: youtu.be/uNfwWjzor8M

7 Likes

I JUST got the Squier bello… beautiful!

1 Like

(MIGHT switch to tape wrapped just cos… but LOVE it (GZR EMG PJ passive kit mod added) - D’addario has black tape wound for sure… seen white by others, but red maybe only Dr strings?)

1 Like

Dingwall super P

7 Likes