Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Prowling online at my local Bass shop and saw this little beauty with a reverse headstock. What do people think of the reverse headstock. Anyone have experience with it? Does it really make a difference?

8 Likes

Ooh the AntiFender, I like it :metal:

7 Likes

That’s gorgeous :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

An all matte black Sandberg…buy it!
Wow

5 Likes

Very nice!

3 Likes

AFAIK this lil beauty is called “Darkhawk”. A German company offers a special version with Darkglass preamp, but without the reversed headstock.
Took me a while to decide between their pimped version and the original Sandberg.
Great choice man. Buy it!

4 Likes

They must not sell enough left handed basses, to have extra reverse headstocks to put on a right handed model! :wink:

3 Likes

Slightly different pick up configuration? This is actually all your fault @thomas

3 Likes

YEP! I am the big bad guy making you waste your funds for some dots. :rofl:
Maybe the pickups are different coz Darkglass was responsible for the electronics. The finish is different too.

3 Likes

Just the one i am trying to build

3 Likes

Some dots, German engineering, killer electronics, mouth watering aesthetics and somewhere to park some hard-earned cash! :joy: I am so tempted by this one, it has a pickup configuration I like, slim neck, light weight body, it looks killer … except I’m just not sure about the reverse headstock, I’m wondering if it would affect re-sale, should I decide to sell it in the future. If it was cheaper then I wouldn’t worry so much, but it’s going to be a big investment. Need to keep researching the reverse headstock thing, have not found much written about them on a bass.

5 Likes

I think it looks cool, and there should be no effect at all on playing.

4 Likes

The unmodified version would be the Nighthawk.
I can’t find it anywhere with a reverse headstock. That one might be pretty unique.

From what I found out about reverse headstocks is that it should make the string tension on the higher strings a bit lighter and on the lower strings stronger. But I am pretty sure that this should be subtle, at best. I myself am pretty sure I wouldn’t even notice it.
You get a much more pronounced effect by getting higher gauge E and A and lower gauge D and G.

5 Likes

Got one in down under:

@Malyngo
Yes, the Nighthawk is completely made by Sandberg. Darkhawks are limited editions from collabs. Many with “Musik produktiv”, but I am not sure if this reversed headstock darkhawk has the same origin.
I am with you on that string tension theory.

@Bassdacious
If it is important for you, I would call “Musik produktiv” to find out if they did this model and gathering some insider details too.

3 Likes

Yep, that would be the one that I just purchased. Damn you @thomas :joy:

6 Likes

Ah, now I also see the pickup difference:
Nighthawk: Humbucker + Split Single Coil
Darkhawk: Humbucker + Humbucker

3 Likes

Nighthawk can be in different pickup configs too. You have TM (j/m) and VM (p/m). I got a TM with non-standard pickups. The MM one looks wicked but I think that one is custom.

Pretty sure you can create different configs on the Sandberg website with the bass configurator. They ship international too but you just have to wait a long time before it is processed since it’s all handmade.

Also really like the black open pore finish. Got it on one of my guitars and bass.

I think it’s based on the California VM(2) serie and not the Nighthawk. I will have to check it on the website but iirc you can’t make this config with the Nighthawk body. The “Darkhawk” is just a branding name they came up as alternative for the Darkray from Music Man. It’s still a California VM with some Nighthawk elements (pickguard, tuners, etc.).

Also I want this bass :joy:

3 Likes

Congrats @Bassdacious it is freaking gorgeous!

… Damn you…
You owe me a reasonable consultancy fee. Maybe a Glockenklang 4x10" :joy:

4 Likes

I have been looking for a P type bass and the combo of P and Humbucker is something I really like. I plugged in the specs of the one above (although there is no option to do a reverse headstock) into the Sandberg site and it comes out more or less the same price, after conversion and shipping costs. I’m expecting to be very happy with this bass - but that is it, the shop is definitely now shut … No More Basses!!

8 Likes

:joy::joy: - sounds very reasonable.

3 Likes