Any sexy new basses you've got your eye on?

Oh, my… the ghosts I have released :scream: (Thanks, @terb and @oldthumper for quick deliveries!) Now, let’s keep this scene for sexy basses again, shall we?? :smile:

7 Likes

Ooh. There’s a Peter Hook signature vintage BB1200S on the way.

Also, never change, Hooky. Never change:

“They tried telling me once, asking if I could just follow the root,” laughs Hooky. “I said, ‘No - how about you f*ckin’ follow me?’ - probably out of ignorance, because I didn’t know what a root note even was.

5 Likes

Digging through the junk pile today at the local music store I saw this awesome looking bass and fell in love with the body shape. Yeah, it needs a little work… plug some holes, drill some holes, tuners, bridge, new electronics. And I think I might need to find a music store with a more knowledgeable staff… these guys had the wacky notion that this was a guitar… I had to explain to them that it’s a short scale bass waiting to happen. :wink:

8 Likes

Whoa, what is that soon-to-be bass? Looks like an ESP. Very nice. Will be much nicer when you are done with it.

I’m guessing you plan on three tuners on top and one on the bottom, Stingray style?

2 Likes

Haha, who better than you to make this happen?! Post pics of this project, details too - we gotta see a guitar get turned into a bass here… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Will do @Vik… just a matter of finding the time. I really wish I could just win the lotto so I could build instruments full time. But until then I have to work a “real” job and try to squeeze in my hobby on the weekends when I’m home.

Which reminds me of a joke… How do you make a million dollars as a luthier? Start with two million. :smiley:

@Howard: It’s a Mayhem Wavepoint by AXL guitars. Tuner placement will probably 4 on top, but I never have a set-in-stone plan when I build.

7 Likes

Looking forward to this build. Given the existing tuner holes I was trying to picture how to get four evenly spaced on top and still be strong enough.

3 Likes

“Which reminds me of a joke… How do you make a million dollars as a luthier? Start with two million. “

We say the same in antiques business. :frowning:

6 Likes

@howard: I’ll fill the existing holes with wood dowels then drill new holes, like this…

7 Likes

Ahh cool. I guess depending on the dowel and glue that will be at least as strong as the original. Shows how much I know about woodwork :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Reading the first few words of your post (“junk pile”), and at first glance, I thought the top horn had broken off, and you were going to restore it . . . silly me! :yum:

Over the past several months, I’ve become really interested in this sort of thing . . . I’ve watched a lot of those StewMac videos with Dan Erlewine. Such a fascinating mix of art & science! I’m not sure I’d have the patience, though.

You should’ve seen my efforts just to install a bridge cover . . . :roll_eyes:

Good luck with this new project, @Korrigan; I’m sure you’ll do a great job :+1:

Cheers, Joe

8 Likes

that’s funny @Korrigan , I have a pretty similar project with an Ibanez Sabre. this guitar is in very bad shape and has a huge crack in the body. I have a lot of wood work to do but I’m very curious about the idea of an ultra-short-scale bass !

6 Likes

Super duper cool @Korrigan.
We’ll look forward to the process and evolution.

…though, there’s a metal band out there weeping right now for having just lost the perfect shred-stick.

5 Likes

My interest in ultra-short-scale is twofold. My primary reason is comfort. Years of various physically demanding jobs… aircraft mechanic, land surveyor, nursing assistant, trawler crewman, cnc mechanic… have done a number on my shoulders and wrists. So for me, the difference between 34" scale and 25.5" scale is more than 8.5 inches… it’s the difference between playing for hours and not playing at all.

My second reason is simply to prove that you can get great bass sounds out of a small package.

@Gio… if you zoom in on the pic you’ll see that the last fret marker has a red stain on it… I strongly suspect the the previous owner shredded too hard and his fingers exploded. lol

4 Likes

yeah I understand, I hope it will work well ! but I’m pretty sure it will

my interest in ultra-short scale is way less interesting : I have this old Ibanez cadaver since 10+ years, and I’m pretty sure I won’t ever use it as a guitar. so why not try something with it ?

3 Likes

Yeah, but don’t forget about that Chapman Stick project, @Korrigan!!

4 Likes

OK @Jazzbass19,… You laid out the bait… Now I wanna see the effort…:smile::smile:

5 Likes

@joergkutter… I have too many projects floating around in my head… forgot about the Chapman stick and built a 20" scale 3-string git this weekend…

7 Likes

Nice, @Korrigan! This one almost looks a little Scandinavian in its style… clear lines, clean, no fuss!

2 Likes

This (or one very similar) is played at some international cricket matches in between overs, and if you’ve ever watched cricket you’ll know that it’s even slower than baseball so you need all the extra entertainment you can get.

I haven’t found a bass version. They’ve used a Fender neck but I can’t help think that for the original use it should be renamed “DeFender”. (sorry, I’ve been woken at 0635hrs by two dogs barking at me in bed, so I’m neither fully awake nor particularly happy - and it’s too early to play bass).

8 Likes