Anybody an Ibanez fan?

I haven’t gotten my hands on a BTB model yet, but from the reviews I’ve seen I’ll definitely keep my eyes open for a deal. Seems like a totally different beast than the SR line. At least thats how i justify the urge to by one to myself. That bass looks agressive in all the right ways.

3 Likes

Aw, heck yeah, that SR875 is a beauty for sure! My main bass is the SR870, pretty much the identical bass, but with 4 strings. Ma baby, lol. Nice thread to see all the Ibanez basses out there, and specifically, the SR series. Welcome to BassBuzz, btw!

9 Likes

I wish they would have put out a few more finish options for the 5 string model. I love the finish on yours. Probably sounds amazing too. Can’t tell you how much i love the neck on the basses among so many other features. Adjustable string spacing at the bridge is a killer feature as well. They got it right with the 800 series.

4 Likes

There’s some beautiful basses on here. Makes me want another top range Ibanez

3 Likes

The Premium and Prestige lines make my mouth water!

4 Likes

I just sold an SR1805 premium. Kept my SR655. The premium had more aesthetic appointments but really didn’t play or sound any better to me than the 655.

5 Likes

That’s good to know. I’ve seen a few on Reverb for good prices, and I’ve considered pulling the trigger multiple times. Glad to know from someone with experience between the two.

2 Likes

I had a BTB 775 for a long time. It was a phenomenal bass. The neck thru design gives sustain forever just about, and the Bartolini pickups were nice and fat. I ended up selling it because it was HEAVY. Mine weighed in at almost 11 pounds. That’s the trade I guess. If you want the sustain, you need the extra wood for resonance.

4 Likes

I had that same problem with my G&L L2500. It was an absolute tone monster, but man was it a boat anchor. I miss it at times, but the weight was just too much.

2 Likes

Another thing about the SR655 is that it has a P-J pickup configuration, Lots of tonal flexibility. My Yamaha BB 435 is the same way. Can’t go wrong with either one and they are both economically friendly.

3 Likes

The PJ config is the exact reason why i would love to have a 655 as well.

3 Likes

I’m pretty well sold on that configuration. Come to find out it adds flexibility to pedal effects as well.

3 Likes

That’s a point i had never considered.

2 Likes

I discovered it quite by accident. Are you a gigging bassist?

2 Likes

Yes sir.

2 Likes

Me too. Welcome to the forum if I haven’t said so already.

3 Likes

Its good to be here. Thank you!

1 Like

I’m going to wander off. Have a good night sir.

2 Likes

Take care, and happy new year

1 Like

Owning both, I’m pretty convinced I prefer double-buck over P/J for a few reasons at this point.

With two humbuckers you still get a whole lot of tonal flexibility neck vs bridge, and with active EQ on the bass you already have a ton of tonal control anyway. But most importantly you don’t have the noise issues of the lone J pickup. I get some interference in my practice/recording space and it’s a lot more apparent with the J on a P/J than it is dialed all the way to P or with my humbuckers.

You don’t have this problem on a J/J because they are opposite-wound and cancel the noise. You can’t do that on a P/J - the P is split of course but the J is all by itself without the other J to help cancel.

4 Likes