Anybody an Ibanez fan?

Really no need for all that. My experience is with my Yamaha and people can only speak from their own experience. Mine is rubbish and my friend’s Ibanez is really nice and sounds a lot better. The price was very similar. One day, to get some value out of it I think I will hook my Yamaha to the tow ball of my car and drag it down the road to try and get some youtube hits. ; )

1 Like

Interesting. What Yamaha do you have? I have never heard of them making a bad product (of any kind, not just musical instruments.)

3 Likes

Damn this thread :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I’ve started browsing the prestige Ibanez’s online :scream:

4 Likes

@howard, it’s a BBN5 with Jazz pickups. The sound of this bass sux. The tonal range of it is non-existent. It’s just flat and boring sounding. But… NEWSFLASH … because I’m not a quitter, today I ordered some new Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Jazz pickups for it. TBH, it’s very much the last chance for this pig on death row. Here’s hoping they will fix this Bass’ extremely poor and lack-luster tone or you’ll see it in the Cooking and Bar-B- Que - #6 by howard section of this forum

4 Likes

Good luck with the pickup install @russki98.
I found a bit of difference after swapping the pickups on my Fender so hopefully it will make a big difference to your Yamaha

3 Likes

Interesting… Other people seem to like it, although changing the pickups is a popular upgrade:

4 Likes

Interesting. Never heard one. It’s hard to picture a BB without a P pickup.

Yamaha’s YGD pickups are currently excellent but it sounds like that bass might have been an exception? Weird.

I doubt I would like a J/J BB either. It would basically be a heavy J-bass with a better neck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well IMO it’s awful. There are no endearing features of this bass… I guess it’s got strings and it can be plugged in… so if you have no bass it might be better than that but I’m thinking Yamaha owes me an apology for this.

4 Likes

I got my new Ibanez 6 string in today. I went a good bit cheaper than the model I wanted due to all of the repairs I had to make to my iMac earlier this past month. However, Ibanez did not disappoint beautiful bass excellent action easy to play, and already using the extended range well to my benefit.

13 Likes

I’ve had my eye on one of those. Love the black finish. Super clean

3 Likes

@JuiceboxHero I was a bit skeptical because I had my heart set on one of the BTB800 series but I could not afford it at this time. To be honest if your goal is to play six string just buy a six string and start with it. I love this bass so far it has great tone, smooth action, string height is perfect for chording and playing various chord tones. I like the matte finish, the thin neck makes it super easy to move all around the neck. I did a set up like I do with all my guitars and basses but this was about spot on for my tastes.

6 Likes

If I ever buy another bass, it will be a 6 string. I’m used to the 5 string so it should be an easy transition.

I’d like a Yammie, but could end up with an Ibanez.

5 Likes

@LesterH seems like im going to have to now.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs you won’t regret it if you end up with an Ibanez.

4 Likes

Very nice Lester @LesterH,
Can’t wait to hear and see you doing a cover with it👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks Brian @TNKA36 I have been playing for the last three hours working with all of the settings and finding the tone I want. I was messing with some chord phrasings and then gave it a little funk test on “uptown funk” it is better than my expectations

7 Likes

@LesterH that thing just begs for some tapping!

4 Likes

@JuiceboxHero I cannot lie I managed a little DMV by Primus in my practice to test out some tapping on it the action is right on point for tapping

6 Likes

that is gorgeous

5 Likes

@LesterH pefect song to test it out. Claypool is top 3 bassists ever in my book.

3 Likes