Anybody an Ibanez fan?

The pig just went to the doctors yesterday @BigRichieO. The Doctor in question is Jon Shub of Shub guitars in Melbourne ( https://shubguitars.com.au/) I asked him if putting those Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups in was a bit like putting lipstick on a pig. But he replied that Yamahas are usually put together really well so he doesn’t foresee any issues. The pickup cut outs in the body need to be enlarged to fit the new, bigger pickups. I told him to have it as long as he liked and to somehow get a nice tone out of it and set up as well. Jon assures me it will become a totally different beast. …let’s hope so. After the fantastic job he did on my Musicman and my Jaco, I have no doubt he’ll make it awesome. Jon also builds some beautiful custom guitars and basses, see the website if anyone is interested in a “one of masterpiece”
Yamaha…You still owe me !!

8 Likes

Love my Ibenez short scale

5 Likes

The Mezzo or the new multiscale? I’ve heard great things about both.

2 Likes

Could also be the Mikro, universally loved :slight_smile:

Mezzos are medium scale, not short. Which everyone should try, medium scale basses are fun. Feel about the same, just… faster.

4 Likes

those qp pick ups seem to be a real love em or hate em thing. let us know what you think, I’ve been looking at them for my Ibanez.

4 Likes

Yeah they seem to be a common go-to recommendation to which others chime in with less stellar opinions of them. Curious how they sound on a light bass.

3 Likes

I’m really hoping it will sound better. Apparently changing pickups in that model was very common and I imagine it’s because listening to how you sound playing that bass in standard config makes you want to punch yourself in the face.

4 Likes

i’m not bad mouthing them, i have heard from a bunch of people that love them. which i actually why i want your opinion. i kind of have a feeling they have a real rock sound which isn’t to everybody’s tastes. but so do my stock ibanez pickups.

4 Likes

The pig is still with the Doctor… I’m not holding much hope for it’s transformation.

3 Likes

potato pototoh

it’s shorter then long :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve just bought a new fire pit from Bunnings if that’s any help?:joy:

6 Likes

I’ve owned 2 Ibanez basses (fretless and electric upright) and really like them. My third Ibanez is on it’s way and will be delivered Monday.

3 Likes

This, in the same Antique finish (or the SR655e) is definitely one I want to get.
Is that J pickup noisy even when blended with the P? I guess a split J would be the fix if so. Would be a shame to swap out the Nordstrand though.

6 Likes

Same here - I love mine. It does everything it should and you can get a good range of sounds out of it. Especially if I change the strings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is an upgrade available for a CND split J which solves the issue. I might do that eventually.

3 Likes

Sounds good @Mac . Let’s make a day of it… I’ll tie it to the back of my car and drag it over to your place then maybe we can play a little “back yard cricket” and use it as the bat. :laughing:

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

The pig comes home today… let’s see if it deserves a home or if it deserves to be in @Mac 's Bunnings fire pit.

4 Likes

Since you asked…

I had an Ibanez 5 string fretless that I loved, but let her go.

This is my recently acquired Ibanez AFB200 hollow body. She sounds great with her LaBella Deep Talking Bass flats.
Her name is Tina, after my idol Tina Weymouth.

15 Likes

“Tina” looks great, Pam @PamPurrs . . . glad you’re happy with her, too!

Off topic question, but did those wine bottles in the background come from the wine garden that you planted some time ago? :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes