Ask all your silly questions here!

Welcome to BassBuzz! This is a Beginner forum with lots of great people willing to help.

Yikes! This thread went off the rails so fast I changed it to Ask All Your Silly Questions Here!

Feel free to let fly with whatever is on your mind and don’t take any sh!t from those ants!

9 Likes

Hedgehogs - why can’t they just share the hedge?

6 Likes

Scorpions gotta sting.
Hedgehogs gotta hog. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladened swallow?

8 Likes

Is this a stupid question?

5 Likes

@howard What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? - Answers

@NipperDog Not in this thread. :grinning:

4 Likes

“It depends on whether you are talking about an African or European swallow.”

Yes, that does make it the best answer :slight_smile:

9 Likes

If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

8 Likes

Yes. And you would see the light travel away from you with the speed of light.

Someone looking at you cruising by would see it creeping away very slowly.

Is just assumed that the car is moving just very very very close to the speed on light. Because at speed of light is not possible.

5 Likes

It’s an old Steven Wright joke

4 Likes

“24 hour banking? I don’t have time for that!”

5 Likes

What are the most intelligent species on earth?

2 Likes

Ants!

5 Likes

My new favorite topic! Hahaha!!:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Why did Noah allow those two fire ants on his arc?

5 Likes

Of course it would be… Them!

4 Likes

@craig.lox
More to your queston about differences between P and Jazz basses that I did not see clarified in the. other thread. All I saw was “there are slight differences between body shape”, which is true, but it is a huge deciding factor to what type of bass it is and what it says on the head stock.

The reason an Aerodyne is a Jazz bass P/J style is because it has a Jazz Body.
The basses like Duff signature is called a P bass P/J, because it has a P bass body. so the bass is always called what the body is, and then described as P/J if it is a combo, and is also often called MODIFIED. So Aerodyne would be a Modified Jazz P/J and Duff would be Modified P bass P/J.

About necks and pick ups, that has been covered already.
Jazz basses are good for Metal cuz they cut thru the mix, but there are no set rules.

2 Likes

Thanks @T_dub I never connected those dots. That is very helpful.

As far as metal, Steve Harris of Iron Maiden uses a good old P bass, while Ian Hill of Judas Priest started out with a Jazz. Frank Bello of Anthrax uses a PJ. People try to make it seem like there are rules, and certainly manufacturers do trying to sell you a “metal” (or whatever genre they’re targetting), but a bass can produce a wide variety of tones. I posted a song a couple weeks ago where a punk band used a Beatle bass and it sounded great.

4 Likes

Yeah, Jazz being good for metal, I get from Glen Fricker, cuz he produces metal and says the mids are good to cut thru, but he doesn’t mandate that. he more mandates, you know the song, and the bass stays in tune, once he gets a dry track from a bass that was in tune, he can manipulate it however he wants it to sound (for the most part)

And I followed it with “there are no set rules” And if your bass alone can’t cut thru on a metal tune, there are pedals, amps, preamps and amp and cab sims, and EQ’s that can make it, so just be like LEMMY, and play what you think looks cool, as he said, I can make anything sound like whatever I want it too, but I can’t make ugly look great.
Well, he was ugly and great, maybe it was “can’t make ugly beautiful.” :rofl:

4 Likes

People (myself included) obsess way too much over the tone of the instrument itself. You’d be surprised how much you can change the tone in the DAW.

For me, at this point, feel is by far the most important, followed by a tie between tone and looks. I can make the tone do what I want after recording it. Much harder to fix looks, and feel is critical :slight_smile:

6 Likes