Ask all your silly questions here!

I saw those ant-islands when it would flood outside of New Orleans when I was a kid.

I threw rocks at them to see what would happen. I didn’t respect the ants and I think they remember.

5 Likes

Ok, serious DUMB question coming…

Is there anyway to record (DAW or APP, and DAI, etc…) on a ChromeBook?

Looks like my old IMac died. I could get another old IMac, but for around the same price, I could get a chromebook, and they seem to be really good.

I got 2 of my daughters chrome books, and one a HP Laptop. This was years ago.

One year later, I got the 3rd daughter a chrome book

They are all still working.

So, cheap windows PC is prob off the table.
ChromeBook or Used Mac are probably the way, but I do want to still record, and I hate doing it on the Ipad

2 Likes

"They say that the world is a small place. I wouldn’t want to get the job of painting it! "
S.Wright

4 Likes

Chromebooks are Linux based and designed to run web apps. In 2017 they started being able to run Android apps. You might be able to run some Linux apps depending on the capabilities of a specific model.

3 Likes

Do you know if there are any DAW Apps tho?

2 Likes

Check this out…
Best daw apps for android In 2021 - Softonic

Also, check out @Fahri’s thread on recording. He’s figured out how to do a lot with an Android phone.
Mobile Recording in General

2 Likes

I don’t have android, and GB in IPad sucks, but may be the way.

Thanks for the link.
I really rather have something like. ChromeBook or laptop / desktop then phone / tablet.
I like Mouse and Keyboard.

Course I have one of each for my IPad, which I will find til this is sorted out, but still have bad taste for Mobil GB.

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t mean for using your phone. Since all the apps he’s using are android apps they would also work on a Chromebook.

3 Likes

No but chromebooks can run Android apps

Oops too kate

3 Likes

Thanks for clarification

Better late then never. Thanks

2 Likes

Well, I figured out how to load a song into GarageBand iOS. It is not very intuitive, unless you really knowGB for making your own music with adding loops, because you need to add them as a loop, on a vocal track.
After that it started falling into place.
Still, I prefer the IMAC to work on, over the iPAD, but, the GB version is the newest iOS version, and GB on my IMac was pretty old, so maybe I will find some better things with it.
Anyway, it is gonna work in a pinch, and I can proceed to do my next 3 covers, starting tonight with For Whom the Bells Toll. (Or BELL TOLLS, I can’t ever remember, not a huge Metallica fan, just a Cliff Burton fan).

2 Likes

I have a silly question. When I am writing a piece, the decision if I use fretted note (for example 5th fret) or open string is done on basis of fretting comfort and flow, or is there any other reasoning behind these decisions? Thanks.

6 Likes

@wellbi, using an open string has a slightly different, more sustaining (longer ringing) sound than a fretted note. It all depends on how you want it to sound.

And as you point out, it may help to improve the flow of what you are playing . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Convenience is another huge factor. There are many times where it is very inconvenient to move to the 5th fret (for example, when playing up high on the neck).

3 Likes

Often times economy of motion suggests using the open string rather than the fretted tone. I leave that up to the player as to how she or he chooses to play each note I write into my scores, which is one of the reasons I don’t include tab. If you’re charting out the tablature to an existing score for yourself to play, that is just one of the things you want to take into consideration. It’s generally better to use the fretted tone, but there are times when the open string works better.

5 Likes

@PamPurrs @eric.kiser @howard @Wombat-metal
Is there already a thread where people share stories about bassists or other musicians they’ve met? Didn’t want to start a redundant thread - found this thread while searching for one :smiley:

5 Likes

No there isn’t. Please create one. I look forward to reading the stories.

2 Likes

awesome - thanks!

3 Likes

In the Lounge, you think?

6 Likes

Hurry up, I want to read your story… :grin:

2 Likes