Bass Buzz LIVE HANGOUT IN ORANGE COUNTY

@T_dub Five Guys in Canada sucks patties are drier than a popcorn fart…

3 Likes

You mean that’s real? I thought it was just something Tarantino made up for Pulp Fiction.

4 Likes

Check out the brain on Brad.

2 Likes

I love it…the Cali “Hang” thread went to “burgers” in a big way but hey I am NOT mad at you. LoL

As a profesional eater myself, :rofl: I dig INO (you should see the lines wrapped around the few stores (three actually) in the Houston area), and the others mentioned, but down here in TEXAS, Whataburger is the chain burger of choice for me. Texas homegrown since 1950, although they brought in a private equity firm in 2019. It’s helped them expand into some more states, and fortunately they haven’t tinkered with (screwed up) the food/menu.

Now I am hungry. Peace.

3 Likes

I ate a lot of Whataburgers when I lived in Dallas for 20+ years. They’re here in Phoenix, but they don’t seem to be as good. My preference now is In n Out. I haven’t tried 5 guys, but maybe someday I will

1 Like

I like 5 Guys…but feel like I’m gonna stroke out after eating there. Not sure if it is the burger or 12 LBS of fries I eat. :wink:

3 Likes

@T_dub Toby, I think you’re going to have to change the title of this thread to “Bass Buzz Hamburger Hangout in Orange County”

3 Likes

Its all good.
I am pretty sure that we will be having hamburgers for lunch however.

2 Likes

Urgh. I don’t mean to offend, but YUK!
At least in Arizona, they are disgusting.
Come to think of it, I ate one in south Texas, like all the way down on the tip, across the border from Mexico, I forget the town, Mcallen or something, and I refused to eat lunch there, but I talked the other guy I was working with, that was from Dallas, into getting breakfast there, and, um, yeah, give me a sausage mcmuffin with egg over that any day.

1 Like

its that, defiantly that.
I actually don’t have much to complain about the burgers, but I just always feel like shit after eating there, cuz of the fries, that are actually good, but I decided in the end, I rather feel good after a meal, then eat somewhere that is pretty tasty, but makes me want to crawl in a hole and pass out after eating it.
Yeah, I could get a burger and not get the fries, but thats…well…, NO, I can’t get a burger and not fries.
And if they are there, I am gonna eat more then I need to, and its all down hill from there.

2 Likes

Not burgers, but San Diego has two of the best food spots ever.
Moondoggies for fish tacos (they are sadly gone now). And Kono’s for the best dam breakfast ever

PS. now must have burger for dinner

1 Like

Is there vinegar in your recipe? I can’t eat anything with vinegar, which is why I never put ketchup on anything.

3 Likes

There is a place, in Ocean Beach I think, called Big Kahuna Burger. I think it is more of a coincidence for the movie, but IDK for sure?

2 Likes

Fun food industry nerd facts….

Legally, ketchup MUST contain sugar to be called ketchup. In fact it’s the only ingredient you must have (go sugar lobby).

I designed and installed a ketchup batching processing plant for a copacker making McDonald’s ketchup. When we were commissioning it, and the recipe called for vinegar…nothing came out of the pipe. Off we went to the room with the vinegar tank to see what the problem was. Walked up to the tank…BOOM, pipe blocked, gasket blew…my first (and hopefully only) vinegar shower. At least it was a short day.

5 Likes

It’s also the ingredient that keeps the product from going bad. It’s the sugar in ketchup that allows diners to keep the ketchup bottles out on the tables all day.
I can handle the sugar, however the vinegar burns my tongue (side effect of the radiation :frowning: ).

4 Likes

Unfortunately it does. I have a couple of recipes depending on the condiments on the burger. If Asian style then I use rice wine vinegar, sometimes I’d go with ginger vinegar, apple cider, champagne, etc, regular 5% vinegar works just as well but what’s the point, right?

I’m sorry to hear that you are sensitive to vinegar. How about mustard?

3 Likes

Oh that’s sucks to hear. Hope you find an alternative to make up for the flavor spectrum. Fortunately, majority of our taste comes from smell anyways so if you have a reaction to your physical then there’s a work around.

3 Likes

I can eat mustard, sriracha sauce, wasabi, pepper sauce, horseradish, jalapeno sauce, etc. as long as vinegar is not listed within the first few ingredients (as it is in ketchup). I can’t even eat salad dressings that contain vinegar. It sucks.
I’ve been searching for a ketchup recipe that doesn’t require vinegar.

P.S. but I’m grateful to be cancer free!!!

4 Likes

You could try messing with lemon juice as a substitute.
it goes well with tomato and is tart and is a general substitute for vinegar in recipes.

3 Likes

Amen. Congrats

Well the easy fix would be rose lime( yes the one for your cocktails) it’s the same as making citrus gastrique. Substitute rose lime for vinegar and sugar to your favorite recipe and adjust sugar if needed.

Lemon and lime juices are also great per @John_E suggest if you don’t cook the acid, it can turn bitter.

Actually, if you can find the right can tomatoes and tomato paste you may have enough acid to go without any additional. Just make sure the skins is removed.

3 Likes