Bass Buzz LIVE HANGOUT IN ORANGE COUNTY

@John_E I don’t eat ketchup way too sweet. I want to taste meat. But we have regular Heinz ketchup…

4 Likes

Recipe for Heinz in Canada is different, move vinegar.

3 Likes

@John_E move Vinager ? First ingredient tomato paste second ingredient sugar (liquid) bottom line it’s gross lol

However we do have Ketchup chops which is a Canadian thing and those are delicious. I know I am weird.

I also don’t eat raw tomatoes there is an enzyme in tomatoes that gets killed when cooked. I have violent reactions to the enzyme. So cooked ok raw not ok.

3 Likes

My go to ever day burger is buns, meat, pickles, sliced onions, Mayo and either ketchup or mustard but not both unless it’s a spicy mustard.

Gosh I’m thinking about driving up to Victorville to get Freddys right now. They have the best fries. Think the thinnest fries you ever had this one would be half that diameter. Like a true shoestring fries.

It’s 62 miles but 2 hours drive.

3 Likes

Funny - I don’t mind Freddies in general, but man I hate their fries. :rofl: You’re right tho - super thin…

4 Likes

There’s a Freddy close to my house, I walked in one day and looked at the prices on the menu and walked out. I suppose I should give them a chance.

3 Likes

I envy you both. Their fries are awesome, what’s wrong with y’all, lol. In the world of thick fries skinny fries rule.

It’s too much traffic to go today so I pass for today. Same as White Castle, I’m sure it’s not well loved if it’s down the street to you but since it’s not in California I want to eat there,lol.

I bet you if Freddys were to be opened down the street from me I’ll eat it every other day for a week or 2 then go on an bitch and moan about the lack of White Castle in SoCal, ha ha.

3 Likes

I grew up in Chicago where I was surrounded by White Castles… in fact my first high school job was at White Castle. I still love them.
They opened one in Scottsdale a couple years ago, but it’s quite far from where I live. Whenever I am in Scottsdale for some other reason, I try to pop in and grab a couple sliders. They are unique, and not everyone likes them (some hate them), but I love them. There’s no comparison to In n Out or Whataburger or any of the other places mentioned in this thread, but they excel in a category of their own.

5 Likes

@T_dub … no offense taken, but you’re outta the will. LoL. Seriously, I’ve had some bad whataburger in my day too but I much prefer it to most of the drive-thru burger chains in my vicinity.

Honestly, if I’m looking for a burger, unless I’m in a hurry, I prefer a hole in the wall dive bar, mom and pop place that most “normal people” (non-bassists LoL) wouldn’t have the courage to go into. Found many a good grub in places like that.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs my first White Castle experience was in Chicago on the south side somewhere near the old McCain Citrus plant (I think they are gone now). This was NOT a good part of town, but man they were good!

4 Likes

@PamPurrs come to think of it, I had another south side experience years prior.
Went to Blues Fest with a friend from college in the 80s and ended up at the Checkerboard Lounge. Yes, we were the only white guys in there. And yes, it was a hell of a time. My buddy was from Chicago and one of those guys that everyone liked and kinda laught at (and with) so we ended up making fast friends and seeing some great music.

3 Likes

I was born in a hospital on the southside, and grew up on the southwest side. Places like the Checkerboard were quite common, and only those of us with an adventurous (and brave) spirit explored those dives. I have some great memories.

5 Likes

What’s not to love? The sliders looks great. The few times I was in Chicago I ate highend foodie food scenes an on my own time I hunted down Chicago dogs and deep dish pizza joints. Love them radio active relish.

I was there 2 years in a row for the restaurant show in Downtown I went through a bottle of Tums a day, lol

4 Likes

I have a sudden craving for a bacon cheeseburger and large fries . . . :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Hmmm. didn’t I see that in a movie once?
Yes, yes I did, and it was a movie from the 80’s.
Weird Science.
Was that a documentary about you?

Wait, I saw that in another movie in the 90’s. Encino Man.
Jeez, you certainly do get around.

There is or was a hot dog place in Chicago, you can view it online if it is still open. I forgot the name of it, called Felony Franks.
It was opened by an Ex-Convict, and his policy was to help other Ex-con’s get back into society, so he only hired ex-con’s.
But the catch was, for certain jobs, you had to commit certain crimes, or have that job in prison.
So for cooks and diswashers you had to work in the kitchen or laundry.
The funny one was, for Valet parking, he only hired ex-con’s that had Grand Theft Auto, or driving a stolen vehicle charge.
The menu was priceless as well. I don’t remember it all, but things like
Felony Fries
Mis-demeanor Weiner
etc…
I heard about it (all the time) from a guy that was from Chicago, and I verified it online once, but I have never been there.

The deep dish pizza, I am not a huge fan.
I was staying on the corner of Huron and Michigan Ave.
One street over was one of those really famous pizza places, looked like it was an old house before they built up property in the area, and had a long line. I think it started with a G. One of those places that mail orders pizza’s, really famous. To me, it was just OK.
Best pizza I ever had was in a small town in Ohio, situated south of the 80/90 about drop dead center between Sandusky and Toledo.
Fremont, OH. I worked for a company that was HQ in that town, and employed about 1/4 of the town.
It was an old Train Depot from the late 1800’s / early 1900’s, appropriately called “The Depot”, and it was turned into a sports bar - restaurant, and their pizza was amazing.
The place had original benches and a ticket booth out back right with the tracks right there.

3 Likes

I had my fair share of amazing pizza. I worked for Wolfgang Puck for 3 years.

I love Chicago food scene, they are awesome and cover the entire spectrum from rustic homey to avant-garde, and the people are so friendly and so passionate about food and football, it’s so memorable.

Not that I’m complaining about our socal food scene. We’ve got the best of every culture here. Especially Asian food. The Korean food quality here are a direct competition to the ones in Korea. Same goes to the Vietnamese food. The only minor difference, we are a meat forward culture. Most everyone else are not.

4 Likes

I love Asian food. Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, i don’t care, I love it.
Love Pho and Egg rolls, with lettuce and mint leaves and rice wine vinegar with fish sauce and carrots.

3 Likes

Wow – Its good you got out of Portland … it’s really not doing well.
I moved back here 3 years ago and am ready to get out of here!

5 Likes

Yeah, I feel like sobbing every time I see what’s happening there. It was such a great downtown area with great (and safe) nightlife when I was there.

5 Likes

I heard you are in a serious HEAT WAVE now too, like up to 115.
I have a really great friend and two cousins up in Portland.

2 Likes