Build Kit Documentation (Harley-Benton P-Bass)

Awesome. Great job.
For someone who was fine to have only one bass…
MBD claims yet another one.:joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

But I am fine with only one :stuck_out_tongue:
This was because I was interested in the build process.
Either this one will be in the practice room of my future band or pretty much will be unused. While I am proud of my creation and glad I started the process I don’t think I will prefer it to the ESP :wink:

3 Likes

Terrific lookin’ bass!! And great work documenting all of it in this thread :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What about this recent GAS and some 50 euro bass.
Just messin with ya. That one you built will always be special, and prob not the last one you build.

3 Likes

More of a distraction during work :wink:
Wasn’t looking good enough and was too unknown to pursue further.

I’m still fine with just one bass but in the case of a Herr Schwarz… Well, you know :smirk:

4 Likes

Great job @juli0r! It sounds awesome. Makes you feel good knowing you built it yourself, right?

5 Likes

Still can’t believe it when I hear it through my amp/recordings. So yes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know the feeling.
I used to build all my own electronic equipment back in the '70’s and '80’s. There’s nothing like the satisfaction you get when you first hear something from a labor of love that a short time ago was just a bunch of seemingly unrelated parts.

5 Likes

@juli0r well done, you took it on with no experience and produced a fully working instrument, I’m sure that it will morph into something else over time. This is where you can try ideas out on a great test bench without damaging a good bass. Carving, modelling or painting :art: different pup positions, have fun.
Jamie

2 Likes

Thank you. I enjoyed the whole process and to be honest once I started I didn’t have any doubt I will create a playable instrument. On the one hand I didn’t have doubt and on the other hand I still can’t believe it now that it’s done. I am so glad I did it.
Shoutout to anyone playing bass who has an itch to try start building: This build kit is an excellent starting point! As @Jamietashi said I had no prior experience at all regarding instruments and almost none regarding woodworking in general.

Since I mentioned the missing tonal options - I’m thinking of changing the pickups and/or electronics already.
I would say your guess is spot on :wink:

Edit:
Hey wait! Did you say my creation isn’t a good bass? :scream: :sob:

4 Likes

It is pretty much a P-bass – passive, one pickup, knows few tricks, but the tricks it does know, it knows very, very well.

And you did make it look like the dog’s whatsits!

4 Likes

@juli0r :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Very nice job @juli0r! Thank you for the detailed and enthusiastic documentary!

It’s a shame you didn’t get to solder anything. It’s my favourite part :joy:

4 Likes

No it’s not.
Although I theoretically have the equipment that is something I never learned or had a big interest in learning. Now I will though as it is part of building to a dregree.

5 Likes

Fair enough! Let me rephrase, then. It’s a shame for me that we don’t get to solder with a bass kit.

Well, one could tear those plastic thingies if one really wants to solder anything

4 Likes

As far as I’ve heard there are differences in bass kit and I think there are some where you need to do soldiering. Not sure though.

It’s true for the harley-benton kits at least that no soldiering is required at all.

4 Likes

Well done @juli0r, grats and welcome to the club!

4 Likes

@juli0r Regarding the Harley Benton kits: How was the fit between the neck and the body? Did you have to shift the bridge much?

3 Likes

I had to solder the pickups to the pots which was no big deal :+1:
Your build looks great @juli0r

4 Likes

Yeah, I want to, but I am not too keen on the offerings, and many have had a large jump in price, where they used to be under $100, they are now close to $200 and up.
Only one that I know of, that I would pay that for is the now unavailable Rick kit.
Course I have not looked in a while. So at the very least, you motivate me to start looking again. So, thanks

3 Likes