Condiments you love: Discuss which, why, and on what?

Not me, that’s for sure. We’ve tried quite a few types of mayo, from avocado to garlic to olive oil, plus a lot of aolis. All good here. :+1:

2 Likes

but… pickles…

1 Like

as a side note, pickle juice martinis are actually very good

2 Likes

The drummer from dethklok and snakes and barrels? I love that guy!

1 Like

I am also in the Cholula camp, but I don’t think I’ve tried the green pepper. Which is weird, cuz I love salsa verde.

Nutritional yeast on popcorn is money.

1 Like

Unfortunately common in Japan. Just as wrong as Ranch Dressing with pizza :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nutritional yeast works surprisingly well in stuff.

Cholula is awesome and ubiquitous, it’s never hard to find.

Mayonnaise - @John_E you need to try Kewpie Spicy mayo. It’s not super spicy but it’s just great mayonnaise. People love it here. Normal Kewpie is kind of like a less sweet and eggier version of Miracle Whip and is pretty good; the spicy version is awesome. Mixes well with Sriracha too.

One of my old faves was Durkee’s - it’s basically mayo and mustard but it’s really good.

Mustards - love them all, from the super spicy Asian karashi to the really good French A l’Ancienne. Even good old American French’s has a place.

Ketchup - Heinz '57. Yes, it’s sugary garbage, but much like Kraft Mac and Cheese, if you aren’t home making from scratch then just go with the original. Everyone expects it.

Mexican/southwestern hot sauces - sooooo many. I don’t think I have ever met any that I didn’t love. There’s a Portuguese one I like a lot right now called Paladin.

Oh man that looks awesome, I love Rayu. there’s so much good stuff like this, some based on rayu like that, others based on bean sauces/miso/etc. One we use a lot is Doubanjiang:

2 Likes

What does it taste like on popcorn?
And what kind of money are we talkin here, nickels or Benjamins?

And what makes it nutritional vs non?-nutritional yeast?

I am solidly in the Mike’s Hot Honey camp.
Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Yes to nutritional yeast on popcorn. It’s way tasty.

2 Likes

Tunisian 5-spice harissa. If I can’t go to a Tunisian market, I get this:

@joergkutter , Maggi seasoning gets used a lot around my house. My wife doesn’t mind. My oldest drizzles it over his meat pierogis. I dip mine in soy sauce mixed with Sriracha - dimsum style.

Mustard, any kind that’s composed of mustard seed and basic ancillaries (French’s baby shit yellow mustard included). I don’t like the flavored varieties.

“Louisiana” style hot sauces.

Bick’s hot pepper relish. Basically a relish made of pickled banana pepper rings. You can only reliably get it at Longo’s in Ontario, though off and on elsewhere too. I wonder where they’ll have it in Calgary?

Horseradish. The hotter the better, and by that I mean it needs to be shredded horseradish with water and vinegar. None of this creamy crap. This for a preference:

4 Likes

Man, this is a fascinating thread! Thanks to everyone for the new taste horizons.

Now, actually finding a lot of this stuff is a whole other story…

1 Like

It’s in the umami camp, a little savory, nutty, but also has a bit of a tang. It’s used in vegan mac & cheese a lot, among other things.

I’d say - HAMILTONs

It is FULL of B vitamins and is a good nutritional supplement. But you can’t use it to bake bread. :grin: :no_entry_sign: :bread:
(I know you are joking with me, but these are good questions for people who don’t know.)

1 Like

most communities have: 1. an asian market, 2. an indian market and 3. a middle eastern market. i highly suggest you look there for cool stuff you have not tried before. also i have found prices are almost always cheaper for stuff at these markets than at the big chain markets (which up here is wegmans and none other - up here wegmans is a religion). like a bag of basmati rice is literally 1/3rd the price at the indian market.

2 Likes

Personally, the only difference between nutritional yeast and normal baker’s yeast that I see is consistency (flaky/powdery vs. granular, reapectively). That said, I don’t use a lot of yeast as a flavor additive except as below.

I make my own dry soup flavoring in the style of Vegeta powder, and use fine pizza dough yeast as the umamifier.
Recipe, parts by volume:
2 parts fine table salt
1 part fine pizza dough yeast
3 parts ground, dried soup vegetables (by mass 1 part celery root, 1 part parsley root or parsnip, 2 parts carrot, 1 part onion powder).
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 traspoon ground black pepper

1 Like

Yep, Asian and Indian markets abound around here (Austin). But there seem to be some regionally available European and Canadian items that are scarce to nonexistent around these parts.

Sometimes Amazon or Whole Foods are resources, but you might have to take out a second mortgage to afford the stuff.

Well, if you’re talking just about taste and not the whole “baker’s yeast is active and nutritional yeast is dead” difference. I’ve never tasted baker’s yeast.

Thanks for sharing your recipe! :smiley:

1 Like

We finally got a Wegmans here during covid. When I moved out of Rochester I missed it horribly. The grocery stores in CT and Westchester felt like I stepped back into the ‘70s.

About two months after Wegmans opened I started to remember all the things I despised about it. Pricing (they actually price higher in markets with captive audiences ie. urban areas where people walk or take the bus), brand removal in favor of their own brand (example - hummus - no Sabra, it’s all their store brand here, drives me nuts). I used to spend every Saturday at the public market first getting as much as I could before wegmans). The stores are beautiful, but there are a lot of flaws. Now we have some good competition down here and I only hit up wegmans cause they have a great gluten free section,

1 Like

Mmmm Forbidden mayo …
Przechwytywanie

Totally this @kristine yeast ftw :kissing_smiling_eyes: :pinched_fingers:.

2 Likes

No love for sriracha?

1 Like