Headphone Amp Suggestions

Hello!

My boyfriend is an avid bass player and I am wanting to get him a headphone amp for Christmas. Problem is, I don’t know much about the equipment and what is considered “good” for advanced players.

One that would be good for camping (more portable and fewer things to bring) would be ideal!

What headphone amp is worth the purchase? Headphone suggestions? Additionally, is there anything else I should consider getting to go along with the gift?

Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Sorry, I can´t help you with your question…but do you maybe have a sister who is single and equally generous? :grin: :grin: :grin:

5 Likes

Josh recommends the Vox amPlug 2 Bass Headphone Amp in his gadget video: 10 Gadgets to Make You a Better Bassist (Or NOT?) - YouTube

I have it and am satisfied with it, but I am far from a professional player and honestly rarely use it as I usually have other options.

6 Likes

There’s also the Vox VGH, which is a headphone and preamp in one, and can also do effects

3 Likes

I prefer the NUX to the Vox for several reasons.
Varied tones you can save in 6 presets.
Less hiss.
Bluetooth for playalong.
Rechargeable battery.

2 Likes

I have these, and would probably not purchase them again. They feel flimsy.

Functionally, they are great and no complaints

3 Likes

Can’t go wrong with the Vox Amplug imo. If you are looking for something premium you could consider the BOSS - WAZA-AIR BASS | Wireless Personal Bass Amplification System

The Zoom B1 Four / B1xFour | ZOOM is also a popular option.

6 Likes

I use the Vox at home because the actual amp annoys my wife, but yes, it’s flimsy…you have to be careful not to bend it the wrong direction. The nice thing about them though is that you have an aux jack too…I pipe my computer into it as well so I can hear @JoshFossgreen during my lessons.

2 Likes

A Vox Amplug is a cheap and simple option, but since you said you’re looking for something “good” for an “advanced player”, I think it may be a bit too simple. When I think about a serious bass guitar headphone amp, I think Palmer Pocket Amp Bass, or even the Darkglass Element (if money isn’t an issue).

This. Runs on batteries, doubles as a drum machine and looper, doesn’t break the bank. I own one and love it.

6 Likes

I was eyeing these but now that they are available the reviews are really horrible. Sounds like a lot of quality control issues.
Think I will wait for Rev 2.

The zoom is without a doubt the best choice is you are ok with the slightly larger size. I have that too

2 Likes

It’s difficult to say and it’s depends on your budget as well. Headphones amp like Vox is really great. The next up would be a small amp like blackstar fly 3 bass he can use that as a headphones amp as well. The best on in my book would be the ashdown tone pocket but you do pay the extra for the extra. I own all 3 and like all 3. Each is solid.

Nice of you to do that for him.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugBassG2--vox-amplug-2-bass-headphone-guitar-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fly3Bass--blackstar-fly-3-bass-3-watt-1x3-inch-bass-combo-amp

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TonePocket--ashdown-tone-pocket-bass-headphone-amplifier

2 Likes

+1

3 Likes

Phil Jones Bighead FTW

1 Like

I have this NUX MP2, reasonable price, charges from a USB charger with a load of features. Seems to work well, have not had it for long so haven’t used half of the features yet

2 Likes

Both are really great. Just keep in mind that the Darkglass Element can’t use a battery. If that wasn’t the case it would have been the best gift since sliced bread (most bass players like Darkglass). The Palmer is a great and rugged option imo. I always use that one when I take my bass somewhere else. I also like the blackstar Fly3 since the headphone out is a lot better then the Vox Amplug and you can play silently on the speaker too. Great for campfires/acoustic scenarios. :wink:

As for headphones you can pretty much hook up everything as long as it has a decent bass. We got a few threads about headphones too.

1 Like

Hard to beat the Zoom B1four for the money. You get a lot with that.

1 Like

I had the Nux mighty plug for 6 months before it stopped holding a charge. I don’t read reviews where this is a common problem, but it is crap that they don’t care.

1 Like

After only six months, isn’t that covered by warranty?

1 Like

To be fair any item holding a charge can face this problem, did they offer to replace or repair? If not then this is indeed poor customer care

I haven’t been able to find any warranty terms.