Headphone Amp Suggestions

They said I need to take it up with the seller. It’s outside the seller’s return policy, so we will see if I get out of the run around or not.

Over here, warranty claims are handled by the seller. They are responsible for the products they are selling. Even if the seller or manufacturer don’t state any warranty terms, you are still entitled to legal warranty. The law states that if a product breaks within six months, the manufacturer has to prove that you broke it. After six months, you will have to prove that you didn’t break it yourself. If a product breaks earlier than could be expected, within reason, you are entitled to free repair or replacement of that product. I’d contact the seller first, if I were you. Might be a good idea to check your legal rights as well.

Wow, nice.
Here it is the exact opposite.
Most items come with a card inside that states “do not return to store, call xxx-xxx-xxxx for warranty issues”.
I like the European way better.

I have found that by and large the manufacturers of music gear really want you to be happy. They know your happiness or lack thereof translates into feedback to other musicians very quickly.

Of course, there are exceptions, and one-offs of bad experience with manufacturers, but so far most all of my interactions have been positive in this space. I know a few others have had issues, but that also might be the luck of the draw of who answers your call.

The smaller sellers here are generally also good at customer service, because they know what goes into online reviews if they are not. Big box stores simply don’t care (GC/Sam Ash) and the management of their employees shows, poorly. This is why I love Sweetwater, they will bend over backwards to make sure you are happy (I assume Thomman in EU is the same) and hand you candy in the process.

Thomann are great actually. I once ordered a set of Schaller S-lock screws from them. Didn’t pay attention and ordered the XL size. Turned out to be both too long and too thick. I contacted them with the intention of returning them and ordering the M size instead. They just gave me my money back and told me to keep the XL size screws, because the cost of sending me a shipping label and other handling would be too great. I offered to send them back at my own expense - after all, I had ordered the wrong size myself - but they said that wasn’t necessary. Needless to say, I’m now buying most of my stuff from them.

6 Likes

Thomann rules! Only had great experiences and I buy most gear from them. Think they are pretty much the Sweetwater from Europe.

2 Likes

Hey Amber - a lot of us here probably cringed pretty hard reading that part about camping. Unless you’re “glamping” in a nice RV or trailer - you’ll be dirty. Your clothes are dirty. Your hands are dirty. Your gear is dirty. And your BF’s bass is gonna get pretty dirty. Grit and grime working in between pickup and body, into tuning machines, down into the control knobs and pots, scratching the overall finish - bit of a nightmare. Same problems will apply to any amp in that environment. As an advanced player - maybe he has a cheaper bass he’ll use specifically for camping? (A used Mikro GSRM20 would be pretty good for that).

As for overall headphone amp suggestions: write back with your budget range. That will make all the difference. But say he’s got a cheap bass for use while camping, then get him something equally functional but inexpensive so it’s not so painful if camping kills it: Vox amPlug 2 = $54 currently.

For the rest of us - that amPlug 2 is almost $20 (33%) more expensive than when I bought mine two years ago!?

1 Like

Aren’t bass ukuleles made specifically for camping trips? :wink:

1 Like

Do you have a budget in mind?

1 Like

If camping is the main use case - then I’d agree 100%. Decent cheap bass ukes here: Rondo Music Bass Guitars

If you have a larger budget you can always get him the Boss WAZA-AIR BASS system.

Got to try them out and I really liked them. They can not only reproduce some great tones but they have plenty of extras to play around with. Huge bonus, they are wireless (no latency either). I don’t have that kind of dough for an accessory. Maybe you do.

1 Like

I really just meant for use outside. We spend time out in nature, on the pack patio, traveling to different states, etc. Certainly no dirt involved - or not in a way that would be concerning to equipment.

Like I said, I have no knowledge about this stuff. I don’t mean to make anyone cringe. I am just trying to find something that would work well for what I think he might like it for. He does have multiple basses varying in price.

Budget - I probably don’t want to go much higher than $400.

Thank you for your suggestions!

1 Like

I probably don’t want to go much higher than $400

2 Likes

Cool, that’s a lot. I would recommend one of these then:

They are under $100, have a headphone amp, a tuner, a drum machine for playing along to, and a bunch of decent effects. Much more bang for the buck than something like the Vox or Nux.

2 Likes

And don’t forget the looper. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have the Phil Jones Big Head . Holds a charge for 10 hours very portable. Awesome sound quality. Need headphones . Has aux so you can play music and play along. I Have the 1st gen. There a newer one that more expensive. Highly recommend but it is expensive.
“P: HA-1 | Phil Jones Bass” P: HA-1 | Phil Jones Bass

1 Like

I use the Vox amPlug 2 Bass, and think it’s great. However - I’m deaf in one ear, so play it through these crappy 3D printed headphones designed for people with SSD.
But I can go up to the roof at night and enjoy the view while I practice, and that’s very cool.

BTW - if anyone knows of headphones for people deaf in one ear - please let me know! The concept and design of the ones I have is great; it’s just the manufacture that’s an issue.

3 Likes

@langanconsult I created a new topic for this… Headphones for People Deaf in One Ear

2 Likes

@amber2832

I am not sure if you have Guitar Center or some other larger music store near by but if you do, go by and physically see all the items suggested here. I say that because you’ll get a good idea of whether each device would be fitting for the situation he’ll be in. Is the unit too big? Maybe it’s too small and get lost easily? Does it have to many wires or attachments? Is it durable or very fragile? What other wires, parts, etc. do you need to purchase with it, if they are needed at all?

Remember that you don’t have to buy it just because it’s there and always check online to see who is selling it for the best price (and has a refund policy if its not fitting).

If you can’t go to a shop I’d recommend watching a few reviews or product videos online so you can get an idea of what each product is like and if you believe your boyfriend would enjoy the playing experience with that device.

Hope you find something that he’ll really get a lot a use out of and don’t forget to let us know what you got, if you get a chance.

2 Likes

Wow, $400 can go a long way!

+1 on the Zoom B1 Four - incredible bang for your buck and will run on batteries. Then with that extra $300 worth of budget you could round out a gift basket with a set of strings, maybe strap locks or a nice strap if he doesn’t have them, or a bass tool kit.

Or just a gift card to Sweetwater!

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for the helpful suggestions!

I am going to look over what everyone suggested and go check some things in-store and see what might be the best fit.

I will update you all once I decide what I should go with!

3 Likes