Headphone Amp Suggestions

If you have a larger budget you can always get him the Boss WAZA-AIR BASS system.

Got to try them out and I really liked them. They can not only reproduce some great tones but they have plenty of extras to play around with. Huge bonus, they are wireless (no latency either). I don’t have that kind of dough for an accessory. Maybe you do.

1 Like

I really just meant for use outside. We spend time out in nature, on the pack patio, traveling to different states, etc. Certainly no dirt involved - or not in a way that would be concerning to equipment.

Like I said, I have no knowledge about this stuff. I don’t mean to make anyone cringe. I am just trying to find something that would work well for what I think he might like it for. He does have multiple basses varying in price.

Budget - I probably don’t want to go much higher than $400.

Thank you for your suggestions!

1 Like

I probably don’t want to go much higher than $400

2 Likes

Cool, that’s a lot. I would recommend one of these then:

They are under $100, have a headphone amp, a tuner, a drum machine for playing along to, and a bunch of decent effects. Much more bang for the buck than something like the Vox or Nux.

2 Likes

And don’t forget the looper. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have the Phil Jones Big Head . Holds a charge for 10 hours very portable. Awesome sound quality. Need headphones . Has aux so you can play music and play along. I Have the 1st gen. There a newer one that more expensive. Highly recommend but it is expensive.
“P: HA-1 | Phil Jones Bass” P: HA-1 | Phil Jones Bass

1 Like

I use the Vox amPlug 2 Bass, and think it’s great. However - I’m deaf in one ear, so play it through these crappy 3D printed headphones designed for people with SSD.
But I can go up to the roof at night and enjoy the view while I practice, and that’s very cool.

BTW - if anyone knows of headphones for people deaf in one ear - please let me know! The concept and design of the ones I have is great; it’s just the manufacture that’s an issue.

3 Likes

@langanconsult I created a new topic for this… Headphones for People Deaf in One Ear

2 Likes

@amber2832

I am not sure if you have Guitar Center or some other larger music store near by but if you do, go by and physically see all the items suggested here. I say that because you’ll get a good idea of whether each device would be fitting for the situation he’ll be in. Is the unit too big? Maybe it’s too small and get lost easily? Does it have to many wires or attachments? Is it durable or very fragile? What other wires, parts, etc. do you need to purchase with it, if they are needed at all?

Remember that you don’t have to buy it just because it’s there and always check online to see who is selling it for the best price (and has a refund policy if its not fitting).

If you can’t go to a shop I’d recommend watching a few reviews or product videos online so you can get an idea of what each product is like and if you believe your boyfriend would enjoy the playing experience with that device.

Hope you find something that he’ll really get a lot a use out of and don’t forget to let us know what you got, if you get a chance.

2 Likes

Wow, $400 can go a long way!

+1 on the Zoom B1 Four - incredible bang for your buck and will run on batteries. Then with that extra $300 worth of budget you could round out a gift basket with a set of strings, maybe strap locks or a nice strap if he doesn’t have them, or a bass tool kit.

Or just a gift card to Sweetwater!

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for the helpful suggestions!

I am going to look over what everyone suggested and go check some things in-store and see what might be the best fit.

I will update you all once I decide what I should go with!

3 Likes

I do NOT recommend the Vox. It is fragile; it hisses; if your jack is on the edge of the body it will smack your leg/desk/chair and break.

4 Likes

I broke mine within a week of owning it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I bought a Vox when I first started, a year and a half ago. Once I got a Zoom B1Four the Vox went in a drawer.

Recently I had a use for it and discovered it wouldn’t power up. I assumed dead batteries and installed fresh ones and . . . still dead.

:-1: on the Vox.

2 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Hey All!

Thank you again for all the assistance. It was helpful and I learned a lot about headphone amps!

I decided to go with the Zoom B1 Four!

No one had anything negative to say about the product and it is reasonably priced!

Thanks!

9 Likes

I think you made a good choice. I’ve owned a vox that hissed real bad and broke real quick… but I use my B1Four all the time! Its a drum machine, multi effects pedal, looper pedal and headphone jack all in a small battery powered packag. It is endless fun. Hopefully he appreciates it.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Good choice!

A few things to know:

The headphones plug into the output jack, which is a 1/4" TRS connector. If the headphones have the smaller 3.5 mm plug, an adapter will be needed. These are cheap and readily available - in fact many headphones come with them.

The B1 Four may be powered by batteries (4 x AA), computer via micro-USB, or with an AC adapter. Batteries are included, the AC adapter must be purchased separately.

When using batteries, the unit is turned on by inserting the cable from the bass into the input jack. It is important to unplug this when not in use to avoid quickly killing the batteries.

8 Likes

To clarify: any power adapter with a micro USB connector (i.e. a phone charger) will do. Almost everyone will have one of those lying around somewhere.

5 Likes