Introduce Yourself! (2023)

Hi! My name is Gerry and I’m 15 years old. I got a second hand bass for free off a friend a few weeks ago and I’m trying to teach myself to play! I like bands such as The Cure, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths, the Talking Heads, Costeau Twins, The Oozes and My Chemical Romance. I can only play a couple of songs atm

17 Likes

Great to have you here @w0rmb0y !

You’ve got great taste in music!

Have Josh help teach you with his course and you will go far.

5 Likes

Welcome @w0rmb0y
Have fun!

6 Likes

G’day @w0rmb0y

5 Likes

Good to have you here, @w0rmb0y. A lot of us are going to be envious of you starting early. You’re going to learn faster and go further than most of us if you stick with it. Good luck!

5 Likes

Welcome to the group @w0rmb0y, glad you joined us.

6 Likes

Welcome, @w0rmb0y. Glad you’re here. Josh is a great teacher. Follow his free lessons and you’ll learn a lot. Then get your parents to buy you the Beginner to Badass course and you’ll learn everything you need to play bass with great technique. Have fun!

6 Likes

Welcome @w0rmb0y ! I still like all of those bands in my 50’s. Its going to pay nice dividends starting early, brain plasticity and all. Have fun!

6 Likes

Welcome all new comers to the subterranean abyss…

6 Likes

Welcome @w0rmb0y !

5 Likes

welcome aboard

6 Likes

that’s a pretty sweet kit…four piece, yeah? What cymbals did you lose your hearing to…I mean use?

5 Likes

Welcome @w0rmb0y

4 Likes

HUH?!? Oh. Paiste 18" medium ride and a 16" Zildjian second crash, with two 15" Zildjian second high hats. My family bought me the set in 1969 when Paistes were relatively unknown and inexpensive, and seconds were an inexpensive–but risky–way to get Zildjians. The high hats lasted and still sound good. The crash developed a growing crack and eventually became worthless. Replaced it with a new Zildjian around 1978.
Edit: 20" bass, 14" lt, 12" st, 14" COB snare.

5 Likes

Hiya all
I’m Mike aka cuzzo from Near Blackpool UK . I’m 55 and always loved listening to the bass in tracks and tried to play when I was younger but didn’t keep it up…got bitten by fishing and snooker.
But now, last year was bad after Mum passed and snooker is getting harder as you get older… I had a lightbulb moment and said 'get yourself a bass and start to learn.
It has been great for keeping my mind occupied as there’s so much to learn.
I was floundering with info overload and decided that I needed to follow modules in order to get some order.
I enjoy Josh’s style of teaching and I’m just starting module 5.
I’m left handed so I write down everything upside down.
It took me a while to get BJ under my fingers as it was the first time I started the pluck using the middle finger…the index wanted to start and it started to go wrong for me but I kept having a rest and gently going over it…got the muscle memory sorted.
I have never read music and am enjoying the learning process… I know that it will take time and I won’t put myself about until I understand and can improvise and be confident of mixing with other musicians.
Until then, I am quite happy learning bass lines on my own.
It just feels therapeutic for me and a challenge.
I’m liking the whole process and maybe one day… health dictating… I could play along with others… I’d love that.
I love all types of music…was into punk…80s stuff… I think my favourite band was ‘a flock of seagulls’ and too many others to mention but I am also enjoying listening to genres that I never really took time to appreciate👍
All’t best Bassbuzz crew
Cuzzo

19 Likes

Welcome, @cuzzo. Glad you’re here. Playing bass is very therapeutic and worthwhile. Enjoy the lessons!

7 Likes

Welcome @cuzzo! I’m sure you will enjoy the course.

I’m also a lefthander (and even older than you). But for me, this statement “does not compute”:

You don’t have to explain, I was just curious about what you mean. I can write backwards to a certain degree, and can generally make out typed text reading it upside down.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn ǝʇıɹʍ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇn𐐒 :laughing:

8 Likes

Welcome @cuzzo

7 Likes

Great to have you here @cuzzo

7 Likes

Welcome @cuzzo

7 Likes